Debate Mansion

Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai (Page 70)

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by old-black-joe

prateik babbar played genelias bro i think..

I only watched JTYJN once many years ago when it first came out. Even then I didn't think it was anything brilliant, so I really don't remember who played who in the movie. I'll take your word for it. Although Prateik Babbar was brilliant in Dhobi Ghat!

It was a good one time watch, I shouldn't have bought the cd :/

I read the summary of dhobi ghat in wikipedia, the plot that is. A typical real life movies which aims at wowing the critics. Don't care for such movies personally.

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged
nite guys :)
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I really liked the film too! A very well directed film and I've been a fan of Prateik Babbar from the days of JTYJN. I think most people forget that this was just a documentary type of film at the end of the day. Bollywood film lovers found it quite hard to accept such a film because there were many questions left unanswered. Like why the girl didn't send her tapes to her brother and kept them stored? 

I thought the scene when Prateik Babbar is caught killing mice/rats was one of the best scenes from the film. It was a turning point of the film for me and an eye opener too because it shows the way many people in India live their lives. We all have high hopes and aspirations, we all wonder when our dreams will come true, we all search for our happy ending but life doesn't always give us a happy ending. It's a shame though that very few people appreciated this film.

I agree, Dia - that scene was absolutely brilliant! It was perhaps the climax of the movie. I love how nothing is perfect in the movie - all the characters have hopes and aspirations, but like in reality, its not necessary that all our dreams come true. What keeps us going is simply striving to make those dreams come true, and that's what really makes us who we are. Perhaps Shae doesn't go to Arun and instead comes back to Munna. Perhaps Arun returns to his wife or maybe he is able to finally express himself and fix things with Shae. Perhaps Munna does become an actor. Perhaps Arun finds Imran and gives those "letters" to him. But it's all just left at that ... "perhaps".

I think the best part of the movie was how brilliantly it was directed. I loved how they distinguished between the movie and the home videos that Arun watches. For some reason, I thought that girl's story was the most captivating in the whole movie. It really does leave a lot of questions unanswered, but again, I think the purpose of the movie was to portray reality more than anything else.

Edit - I didn't realize Prateik Babbar was from JTYJN.

Prateik Babbar was awesome in JTYJN as the reserved brother who seems like he hates the rest of the world lol. I really liked him in Dhobi Ghat..and his character too. He reminded me of one of them guys in Luck by Chance queuing up and auditioning for a role, never ready to give up and always positive in life..only to be faced with rejection every time. Even the little plots like that of the 'dons' where his friend dies was pretty interesting.
I guess the main reason why this film didn't click with the masses is because Bollywood is too used to a happy ending. We're used to coming out of the cinema, no matter how bad the film and being glad that the hero and heroine end up together or that the bad guy killed the good guy. One thing that I realised after the film was over was that in the trailers they made it seem like Aamir Khan was good friends with the woman that made home videos..it was a very well edited scene.

Maybe the Desi audience isn't quite yet ready to accept the harsh reality of life.
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:31pm | IP Logged
"
Maybe the Desi audience isn't quite yet ready to accept the harsh reality of life.
"

We are all ready to accept the harsh reality of life, we just arent entertained by watching movies on it LOL 

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged
If the movie is well made, well directed and has some amazing acting performance then I don't see why it should be so difficult to watch and enjoy.

Reminds me of a few years back where people down south protested against a tamil film because it didn't have a happy ending. Sad sad people.
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged

If the movie is well made, well directed and has some amazing acting performance then I don't see why it should be so difficult to watch and enjoy.

Reminds me of a few years back where people down south protested against a tamil film because it didn't have a happy ending. Sad sad people.

LOL, well there was a movie called squid and the whale, it had a sad ending but it was a well made movie.

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

LOL, well there was a movie called squid and the whale, it had a sad ending but it was a well made movie.

Squid and the whale? Lol that sounds stupid. Have you seen cast away? That's an awesome film!

I still haven't seen Inception! :(
*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged

Prateik Babbar was awesome in JTYJN as the reserved brother who seems like he hates the rest of the world lol. I really liked him in Dhobi Ghat..and his character too. He reminded me of one of them guys in Luck by Chance queuing up and auditioning for a role, never ready to give up and always positive in life..only to be faced with rejection every time. Even the little plots like that of the 'dons' where his friend dies was pretty interesting.
I guess the main reason why this film didn't click with the masses is because Bollywood is too used to a happy ending. We're used to coming out of the cinema, no matter how bad the film and being glad that the hero and heroine end up together or that the bad guy killed the good guy. One thing that I realised after the film was over was that in the trailers they made it seem like Aamir Khan was good friends with the woman that made home videos..it was a very well edited scene.

I don't think its just the fact that there's no happy ending - Devdas was a blockbuster, and it does not have a happy end, but Devdas was also based on a classic. I don't know, I seem to like unhappy endings - not because they're unhappy, but because they seem to make those stories real and eternal. But maybe that's just me.

I think the working class in India is the primary audience for most Bollywood movies that are made. After a difficult work day, they enjoy mindless blockbusters more so than movies that require you to think and comprehend an underlying message. This movie was directed more towards a metropolitan audience and even more than that, I think like KJo's movies - it was trying to attract desis outside of India/the subcontinent. With the amount of hardcore English they had in the movie, it makes it obvious that gaining international ravings is what the movie is aiming for.

Go to top