India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai (Page 6)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged
There are at least 250,000 words in the English language. However, to think that English – or any language – could hold enough expression to convey the entirety of the human experience is as arrogant of an assumption as it is naive.

Here are a few examples of instances where other languages have found the right word and English simply falls speechless.

1. Toska

RussianVladmir Nabokov describes it best: "No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom."

2. Mamihlapinatapei

Yagan (indigenous language of Tierra del Fuego) – "the wordless, yet meaningful look shared by two people who both desire to initiate something but are both reluctant to start" (Altalang.com)

3. Jayus

Indonesian – "A joke so poorly told and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh" (Altalang.com)

4. Iktsuarpok

Inuit – "To go outside to check if anyone is coming." (Altalang.com)

5. Litost

Czech – Milan Kundera, author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, remarked that "As for the meaning of this word, I have looked in vain in other languages for an equivalent, though I find it difficult to imagine how anyone can understand the human soul without it." The closest definition is a state of agony and torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery.

6. Kyoikumama

Japanese – "A mother who relentlessly pushes her children toward academic achievement" (Altalang.com)

7. Tartle

Scottish – The act of hestitating while introducing someone because you've forgotten their name. (Altalang.com)

8. Ilunga

Tshiluba (Southwest Congo) – A word famous for its untranslatability, most professional translators pinpoint it as the stature of a person "who is ready to forgive and forget any first abuse, tolerate it the second time, but never forgive nor tolerate on the third offense." (Altalang.com)

9. Prozvonit

Czech – This word means to call a mobile phone and let it ring once so that the other person will call back, saving the first caller money. In Spanish, the phrase for this is "Dar un toque," or, "To give a touch." (Altalang.com)

10. Cafun

Brazilian Portuguese – "The act of tenderly running one's fingers through someone's hair." (Altalang.com)

11. Schadenfreude

German – Quite famous for its meaning that somehow other languages neglected to recognize, this refers to the feeling of pleasure derived by seeing another's misfortune. I guess "America's Funniest Moments of Schadenfreude" just didn't have the same ring to it.

12. Torschlusspanik

German – Translated literally, this word means "gate-closing panic," but its contextual meaning refers to "the fear of diminishing opportunities as one ages." (Altalang.com)

13. Wabi-Sabi

Japanese – Much has been written on this Japanese concept, but in a sentence, one might be able to understand it as "a way of living that focuses on finding beauty within the imperfections of life and accepting peacefully the natural cycle of groW*H and decay." (Altalang.com)

14. Dpaysement

French – The feeling that comes from not being in one's home country.

15. Tingo

Pascuense (Easter Island) – Hopefully this isn't a word you'd need often: "the act of taking objects one desires from the house of a friend by gradually borrowing all of them." (Altalang.com)

16. Hyggelig

Danish – Its "literal" translation into English gives connotations of a warm, friendly, cozy demeanor, but it's unlikely that these words truly capture the essence of a hyggelig; it's likely something that must be experienced to be known. I think of good friends, cold beer, and a warm fire. (Altalang.com)

17. L'appel du vide

French – "The call of the void" is this French expression's literal translation, but more significantly it's used to describe the instinctive urge to jump from high places.

18. Ya'aburnee

Arabic – Both morbid and beautiful at once, this incantatory word means "You bury me," a declaration of one's hope that they'll die before another person because of how difficult it would be to live without them.

19. Duende

Spanish – While originally used to describe a mythical, spritelike entity that possesses humans and creates the feeling of awe of one's surroundings in nature, its meaning has transitioned into referring to "the mysterious power that a work of art has to deeply move a person." There's actually a nightclub in the town of La Linea de la Concepcion, where I teach, named after this word. (Altalang.com)

20. Saudade

Portuguese – One of the most beautiful of all words, translatable or not, this word "refers to the feeling of longing for something or someone that you love and which is lost." Fado music, a type of mournful singing, relates to saudade. (Altalang.com)

For myself, the hardest part about learning a new language isn't so much getting acquainted with the translations of vocabulary and different grammatical forms and bases, but developing an inner reflex that responds to words' texture, not their translated "ingredients". When you hear the word "criminal" you don't think of "one who commits acts outside the law," but rather the feeling and mental imagery that comes with that word.

Thus these words, while standing out due to our inability to find an equivalent word in out own language, should not be appreciated for our own words that we try to use to describe them, but for their own taste and texture. Understanding these words should be like eating the best slab of smoked barbequeued ribs: the enjoyment doesn't come from knowing what the cook put in the sauce or the seasoning, but from the full experience that can only be created by time and emotion.

Source: http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-awesomely-untranslatable-words-from-around-the-world/

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

souroRainbowWarriorxobileAngel-likeDevil

return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged
Every law you need to know - http://www.hardlined.com/murphy.txt
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged
Law of Nations
    In an underdeveloped country, don't drink the water; in a developed country, don't breathe the air.

brilliant.

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged
3. Jayus
Indonesian – "A joke so poorly told and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh"

erm, mokkai?
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged
Aww what a cute kid! It's so easy to mess with them!Tongue

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Aww what a cute kid! It's so easy to mess with them!Tongue

there's this video in which some punjabi tractor driver teaches his daughter the word "bhenc$$$d"
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

3. Jayus
Indonesian ' "A joke so poorly told and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh"

erm, mokkai?

I thought Mokkai was a pun (play on words). Jayus is a terrible joke irrespective of what kind.
debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:20am | IP Logged
A very enlightening letter by Dr. KalamClap

Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam's speech

Dr APJ Abdul Kalam speech

Why is the media here so negative?

Why are we in India so embarrassed to recognize our own strengths, our achievements? We are such a great nation. We have so many amazing success stories but we refuse to acknowledge them. Why? We are the first in milk production. We are number one in Remote sensing satellites. We are the second largest producer of wheat. We are the second largest producer of rice.

Look at Dr. Sudarshan , he has transferred the tribal village into a self-sustaining, self-driving unit. There are millions of such achievements but our media is only obsessed in the bad news and failures and disasters.

I was in Tel Aviv once and I was reading the Israeli newspaper. It was the day after a lot of attacks and bombardments and deaths had taken place. The Hamas had struck. But the front page of the newspaper had the picture of a Jewish gentleman who in five years had transformed his desert into an orchid and a granary.. It was this inspiring picture that everyone woke up to. The gory details of killings, bombardments, deaths, were inside in the newspaper, buried among other news.

In India we only read about death, sickness, terrorism, crime. Why are we so NEGATIVE?

Another question: Why are we, as a nation so obsessed with foreign things? We want foreign TVs, we want foreign shirts. We want foreign technology.

Why this obsession with everything imported. Do we not realize that self-respect comes with self-reliance?

I was in Hyderabad giving this lecture, when a 14 year old girl asked me for my autograph.. I asked her what her goal in life is. She replied: I want to live in a developed India .. For her, you and I will have to build this developed India . You must proclaim. India  is not an under-developed nation; it is a highly developed nation. Do you have 10 minutes? Allow me to come back with a vengeance.

Got 10 minutes for your country? If yes, then read; otherwise, choice is yours.

YOU say that our government is inefficient. YOU say that our laws are too old..
YOU say that the municipality does not pick up the garbage.
YOU say that the phones don't work, the railways are a joke,
The airline is the worst in the world, mails never reach their destination.
YOU say that our country has been fed to the dogs and is the  absolute pits..

YOU say, say and say.. What do YOU do about it? Take a person on his way to Singapore . Give him a name – YOURS. Give him a face – YOURS. YOU walk out of the airport and you are at your International best. In Singapore you don't throw cigarette butts on the roads or eat in the stores. YOU are as proud of their Underground links as they are.

You pay S$5 to drive through Orchard Road (equivalent of Mahim Causeway or Pedder Road ) between 5 PM and 8 PM. YOU come back to the parking lot to punch your parking ticket if you have over stayed in a restaurant or a shopping mall irrespective of your status identity… In Singapore you don't say anything, DO YOU? YOU wouldn't dare to eat in public during Ramadan, in Dubai . YOU would not dare to go out without your head covered in Jeddah .

YOU would not dare to buy an employee of the telephone exchange in London at 10 pounds a month to, 'see to it that my STD and ISD calls are billed to someone else.'YOU would not dare to speed beyond 55 mph (88 km/h) in Washington and then tell the traffic cop, 'Jaanta hai main kaun hoon' (Do you know who I am?). I am so and so's son. Take your two bucks and get lost.' YOU wouldn't chuck an empty coconut shell anywhere other than the garbage pail on the beaches in Australia and New Zealand …

Why don't YOU spit Paan on the streets of Tokyo ? Why don't YOU use examination jockeys or buy fake certificates in Boston ??? We are still talking of the same YOU. YOU who can respect and conform to a foreign system in other countries but cannot in your own. You who will throw papers and cigarettes on the road the moment you touch Indian ground. If you can be an involved and appreciative citizen in an alien country, why cannot you be the same here in India ?

Once in an interview, the famous Ex-municipal commissioner of Bombay , Mr. Tinaikar , had a point to make. 'Rich people's dogs are walked on the streets to leave their affluent droppings all over the place,' he said. 'And then the same people turn around to criticize and blame the authorities for inefficiency and dirty pavements. What do they expect the officers to do? Go down with a broom every time their dog feels the pressure in his bowels?

In America every dog owner has to clean up after his pet has done the job. Same in Japan . Will the Indian citizen do that here? He's right. We go to the polls to choose a government and after that forfeit all responsibility. We sit back wanting to be pampered and expect the government to do everything for us whilst our contribution is totally negative. We expect the government to clean up but we are not going to stop chucking garbage all over the place nor are we going to stop to pick a up a stray piece of paper and throw it in the bin. We expect the railways to provide clean bathrooms but we are not going to learn the proper use of bathrooms.

We want Indian Airlines and Air India to provide the best of food and toiletries but we are not going to stop pilfering at the least opportunity. This applies even to the staff who is known not to pass on the service to the public. When it comes to burning social issues like those related to women, dowry, girl child! and others, we make loud drawing room protestations and continue to do the reverse at home. Our excuse? 'It's the whole system which has to change, how will it matter if I alone forego my sons' rights to a dowry.' So who's going to change the system?

What does a system consist of ? Very conveniently for us it consists of our neighbours, other households, other cities, other communities and the government. But definitely not me and YOU. When it comes to us actually making a positive contribution to the system we lock ourselves along with our families into a safe cocoon and look into the distance at countries far away and wait for a Mr.Clean to come along & work miracles for us with a majestic sweep of his hand or we leave the country and run away.

Like lazy cowards hounded by our fears we run to America to bask in their glory and praise their system. When New York becomes insecure we run to England .. When England experiences unemployment, we take the next flight out to the Gulf. When the Gulf is war struck, we demand to be rescued and brought home by the Indian government. Everybody is out to abuse country… Nobody thinks of feeding the system. Our conscience is mortgaged to money.

Dear Indians, The article is highly thought inductive, calls for a great deal of introspection and pricks one's conscience too…… I am echoing J. F. Kennedy 's words to his fellow Americans to relate to Indians….. .

'ASK WHAT WE CAN DO FOR INDIA AND DO WHAT HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE
INDIA WHAT AMERICA AND OTHER WESTERN COUNTRIES ARE TODAY'

Lets do what India needs from us.

Thank you,
Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

sourohindu4lyfAngel-likeDevilreturn_to_hades

Go to top