Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is Patriotism A Good Thing? (Page 3)

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

I used to feel good being an Indian because I have been conditioned to feel that way and yes, we humans in general tend to feel good about our history or origin. I don't feel that anymore 'cos I find it all stupid. But yes, there's "feeling good about you're background" and EXAGGERATING  about you're background, and that's what patriotism does. Why all the exaggeration when you do know that all of us are humans with just different culture, colour and a line that divides a piece of land?? ConfusedWacko 

OBJ, don't you think that the hostility can be nullified once the two countries settle matter among themselves just by highlighting on the fact that we can be sharing culture and all, in a more easier way? It just takes some sanity in exchange of thoughts between the two. We wouldn't have had nuclear shit or any of that psyched hostility....

I feel that people tend to exaggerate patriotic feelings. The way they talk is infuriating.

I do feel that can be nullified in such a manner, on PAPER. It will be hard to eliminate such feelings on a huge scale, though.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Originally posted by old-black-joe

Honestly speaking, patriotism is nonsense.

Some jobless hypocrites came up with this groupism. We all have to be united, respect each other's culture and traditions, teach each other different things..

although sometimes patriotism is a good feeling to have when there are nations who are against or hostile to that persons country.

I used to feel good being an Indian because I have been conditioned to feel that way and yes, we humans in general tend to feel good about our history or origin. I don't feel that anymore 'cos I find it all stupid. But yes, there's "feeling good about you're background" and EXAGGERATING  about you're background, and that's what patriotism does. Why all the exaggeration when you do know that all of us are humans with just different culture, colour and a line that divides a piece of land?? ConfusedWacko 

OBJ, don't you think that the hostility can be nullified once the two countries settle matter among themselves just by highlighting on the fact that we can be sharing culture and all, in a more easier way? It just takes some sanity in exchange of thoughts between the two. We wouldn't have had nuclear shit or any of that psyched hostility....

Aren't you making an assumption that everyone who claims to be patriotic and takes pride in their own country exaggerates their background? Let's forget about NRI's for a moment and talk about Indians living in India. If they want they can exaggerate as much as they want but they are the ones living in the country, they know the real state of their country. They know their country's weaknesses as well as its strengths. If they choose to take pride in it's strengths then what is the harm?

Take pride on a piece of land? I really find it hard to comprehend Dia..

Yes, you might feel good about your origins and all, but feel proud?
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:32am | IP Logged

RTH, I really do not understand why we have to be loyal to a piece of land specifically?

Its not loyalty to a piece of land, but what that land represents and what it symbolizes. That encompasses, history, people, culture, tradition and a lot of sentiments not easily expressed in words.

Alright, I love the colony I live in, I love Survey of India in my city, I love Hyderabad, I love Telangana, I love my AP, I love my country, I love Asia which includes the other Asian countires, I love planet Earth, which includes ALL the countries.. Ermm I would treat people from any country the same way I treat people from India.
And I actually want to "serve for my country" in the future.. LOL Well, I want to serve the government because I think I can make my surroundings a better place.

You love your state, your country - but have the love for the world too. You have a wish to serve the people/place/country where you are. That love you have makes you a true patriot. Thats basically the spirit of patriotism. Those others who tell you that to be a patriot you have to hate other cultures, or look down on other countries, or any other narrow views are not patriots at all.

I think our love and loyality shouldn't be restricted to a piece of land that has been made up by a jobless hypocrite, and it actually isn't restricted to a piece of land...., if we actually look at it. If there were extra-terrestrials attacking Earth, we all would be one, united, no? Why can't we be all that united now??

Patriotism and humanism do not need to conflict.

They can go together. I'm a Mumbaiite, but also a proud Indian. At the same time I'm a total cheesehead and an American. At the same time I also believe that basic human rights come above any other divisions.

Patriotism makes no sense at all.

The Shiv Sena, MNS and all that sort of regional/political - only our country/land is better and rest are worth crap mumbo jumbo is nonsense. Agreed.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfxobileAngel-likeDevil

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged
rth and dia : by patriotism do you mean love for your own country or love for your own country above others?
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged

rth and dia : by patriotism do you mean love for your own country or love for your own country above others?

@ Black Bold = Patriotism.

@ Red Bold = Not Patriotism, country comes before regional/narrow/selfish interests. However, basic human decency, respect, compassion comes above country.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Roadrunnerzmr.asshindu4lyf

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged

Love for your own country. I don't consider my country above or beneath any other country-not England or India. 

@Angel: The answer to your question is in the first part of Sarina's postWink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mr.ass

Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

RTH, I really do not understand why we have to be loyal to a piece of land specifically?

Its not loyalty to a piece of land, but what that land represents and what it symbolizes. That encompasses, history, people, culture, tradition and a lot of sentiments not easily expressed in words.

RTH, I agree people should respect their cultures, traditions, people and all. But once again, loyality, to a piece of land that has had a history?? I still see a piece of land with a history to it, RTH.. :\

Alright, I love the colony I live in, I love Survey of India in my city, I love Hyderabad, I love Telangana, I love my AP, I love my country, I love Asia which includes the other Asian countires, I love planet Earth, which includes ALL the countries.. Ermm I would treat people from any country the same way I treat people from India.
And I actually want to "serve for my country" in the future.. LOL Well, I want to serve the government because I think I can make my surroundings a better place.

You love your state, your country - but have the love for the world too. You have a wish to serve the people/place/country where you are. That love you have makes you a true patriot. Thats basically the spirit of patriotism. Those others who tell you that to be a patriot you have to hate other cultures, or look down on other countries, or any other narrow views are not patriots at all.

But the basic meaning of a patriot is someone who proudly defends and supports his country or it's way of life?

@bold -- That would make a person loving and warm-hearted..

I think our love and loyality shouldn't be restricted to a piece of land that has been made up by a jobless hypocrite, and it actually isn't restricted to a piece of land...., if we actually look at it. If there were extra-terrestrials attacking Earth, we all would be one, united, no? Why can't we be all that united now??

Patriotism and humanism do not need to conflict.

But Sarina, basically and finally, we're all humans na? Why the groupism and groupism in a way that's ego-centric?

They can go together. I'm a Mumbaiite, but also a proud Indian. At the same time I'm a total cheesehead and an American. At the same time I also believe that basic human rights come above any other divisions.

Patriotism makes no sense at all.

The Shiv Sena, MNS and all that sort of regional/political - only our country/land is better and rest are worth crap mumbo jumbo is nonsense. Agreed.

They're even more crappier..

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 30 December 2010 at 11:51am
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged
RTH and Dia, I thought patriotism means to be devoted to a country and proudly support-defend it..

When you have love for you're country, that just makes a person loving? Confused I am soo confused now.

Go to top