Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is Patriotism A Good Thing? (Page 2)

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

So youre saying that only 'irrational' forms of group mentality are 'never a good thing' and since family is a more rational group, it's acceptable?

Well your family is more specific, but your country is more general.

Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Honestly speaking, patriotism is nonsense.

Some jobless hypocrites came up with this groupism. We all have to be united, and 'we' here refers to humans in general; 'we' should respect each other's culture and traditions, teach each other different things..

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 30 December 2010 at 10:58am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MagixX

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

Some jobless hypocrites came up with this groupism. We all have to be united, respect each other's culture and traditions, teach each other different things..

although sometimes patriotism is a good feeling to have when there are nations who are against or hostile to that persons country.
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged

Some jobless hypocrites came up with this groupism. We all have to be united, and 'we' here refers to humans in general; 'we' should respect each other's culture and traditions, teach each other different things..

Actually patriotism should be a good thing. There has to be some loyalty and love to ones country. If someone hates India and everything about it - they should move to a country they can love. I say the same about some NRI's (and other immigrants) abroad - if all you want to do is crib about local culture and values - then go someplace where you have that sense of belonging.

These hypocrites like MNS or SS are not really patriots but self serving egomaniacs.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfdebayonAngel-likeDevil

Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

Some jobless hypocrites came up with this groupism. We all have to be united, respect each other's culture and traditions, teach each other different things..

although sometimes patriotism is a good feeling to have when there are nations who are against or hostile to that persons country.

I used to feel good being an Indian because I have been conditioned to feel that way and yes, we humans in general tend to feel good about our history or origin. I don't feel that anymore 'cos I find it all stupid. But yes, there's "feeling good about you're background" and EXAGGERATING  about you're background, and that's what patriotism does. Why all the exaggeration when you do know that all of us are humans with just different culture, colour and a line that divides a piece of land?? ConfusedWacko 

OBJ, don't you think that the hostility can be nullified once the two countries settle matter among themselves just by highlighting on the fact that we can be sharing culture and all, in a more easier way? It just takes some sanity in exchange of thoughts between the two. We wouldn't have had nuclear shit or any of that psyched hostility....
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged
I never understood what people have against patriotism.

Just because you're proud of your country and its achievements, doesn't mean you're against the idea of humanity. From a country that was popularly known only for its slums and for busting out in to random dances in our movies, for us to actually host the Commonwealth Games successfully is a massive achievement. No doubt it generated its fair share of controversy but the fact of that matter is that when the time came, we pulled it off. This is just one of the reasons why we should be proud of our country. I loved the way the entire country came together for this event, not just sports personalities but so many volunteers that consisted of people of all ages. 
That reminds me..I can't wait for London 2012 Opening Ceremony! :D Hopefully I'll get tickets and the stadium is a short drive from home so should be good! :D

@Angel: Go ahead and appreciate every one's culture, no-one is stopping you, but how about we learn to appreciate India's rich culture first? Only then can we expect to tell anyone about our culture and how are others supposed to appreciate it if we ourselves cannot do so? 

P.S. Amazing song!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Roadrunnerzxobile

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged

Originally posted by old-black-joe

I used to feel good being an Indian because I have been conditioned to feel that way and yes, we humans in general tend to feel good about our history or origin. I don't feel that anymore 'cos I find it all stupid. But yes, there's "feeling good about you're background" and EXAGGERATING  about you're background, and that's what patriotism does. Why all the exaggeration when you do know that all of us are humans with just different culture, colour and a line that divides a piece of land?? ConfusedWacko 

OBJ, don't you think that the hostility can be nullified once the two countries settle matter among themselves just by highlighting on the fact that we can be sharing culture and all, in a more easier way? It just takes some sanity in exchange of thoughts between the two. We wouldn't have had nuclear shit or any of that psyched hostility....

Aren't you making an assumption that everyone who claims to be patriotic and takes pride in their own country exaggerates their background? Let's forget about NRI's for a moment and talk about Indians living in India. If they want they can exaggerate as much as they want but they are the ones living in the country, they know the real state of their country. They know their country's weaknesses as well as its strengths. If they choose to take pride in it's strengths then what is the harm?
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Actually patriotism should be a good thing. There has to be some loyalty and love to ones country. If someone hates India and everything about it - they should move to a country they can love. I say the same about some NRI's (and other immigrants) abroad - if all you want to do is crib about local culture and values - then go someplace where you have that sense of belonging.

These hypocrites like MNS or SS are not really patriots but self serving egomaniacs.

RTH, I really do not understand why we have to be loyal to a piece of land specifically?

Alright, I love the colony I live in, I love Survey of India in my city, I love Hyderabad, I love Telangana, I love my AP, I love my country, I love Asia which includes the other Asian countires, I love planet Earth, which includes ALL the countries.. Ermm I would treat people from any country the same way I treat people from India.
And I actually want to "serve for my country" in the future.. LOL Well, I want to serve the government because I think I can make my surroundings a better place.

I think our love and loyality shouldn't be restricted to a piece of land that has been made up by a jobless hypocrite, and it actually isn't restricted to a piece of land...., if we actually look at it. If there were extra-terrestrials attacking Earth, we all would be one, united, no? Why can't we be all that united now??
Patriotism makes no sense at all.

Go to top