India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is Patriotism A Good Thing?

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged

Is patriotism a good thing? In an Indian context, what should patriotism even entail? After all, isn't India a political amalgamation of many different nations?

Oh and here's an amazing song by Udit Narayan, Shankar Mahadevan, Mahalaxmi and Dominique :D

Edited by xobile - 30 December 2010 at 10:05am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged
any form of group mentality is never a good thing in my opinion. I hate "cultural identity" and "love for your fellow man" etc.

Angel-likeDevil

Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged
OBJ, I agree with you. Enough said.
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

any form of group mentality is never a good thing in my opinion. I hate "cultural identity" and "love for your fellow man" etc.

But it doesn't have to be group mentality. It's just a feeling of pride in and belonging to your roots I guess. Even the family structure is a way of organizing people into groups - is that a bad thing?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfmr.ass

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

But it doesn't have to be group mentality. It's just a feeling of pride in and belonging to your roots I guess. Even the family structure is a way of organizing people into groups - is that a bad thing?

Good argument. But how similar are family and patriotism? Do you wake up in the morning(not feeling  like P Diddy LOL)  and say good morning to some stranger on the road? Family are "familiar" to you, hence the name. Here group mentality is more irrational. Sure, people are biased towards they're own family members, but atleast they're related by blood, not just by being in the same country.

Just my thoughts...
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged

Balance is the key in everything. Too much or too little of something is never good, same goes with patriotism. People should be proud of their country, be loyal, good citizens, who care for the welfare of their country. At the same time people should respect other nations, their ways and culture too. People should also be open to criticism of their country and be willing to make changes for the better.

The problem I see with Indians and patriotism is the lack of balance. Some Indians are totally enamored with the west, blindly copy others and tend to unfairly dismiss and disregard several things about India. Some Indians are completely blinded by their patriotism that they look down on foreigners, NRI's, other cultures and refuse to acknowledge constructive criticism.

Compared to some countries that have been around for centuries, India is still young. We are at the stage where the zeal of freedom and patriotism is clashing with growing global influences. Over time things will temper out and Indians will find the right balance in their sense of national pride – learn to take pride in being Indians, while accepting our role as just another part of the global mosaic.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfmr.assxobilerahmona_pakswe

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:26am | IP Logged

Originally posted by xobile

Good argument. But how similar are family and patriotism? Do you wake up in the morning(not feeling  like P Diddy LOL)  and say good morning to some stranger on the road? Family are "familiar" to you, hence the name. Here group mentality is more irrational. Sure, people are biased towards they're own family members, but atleast they're related by blood, not just by being in the same country.

Just my thoughts...

So youre saying that only 'irrational' forms of group mentality are 'never a good thing' and since family is a more rational group, it's acceptable?
debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:34am | IP Logged
People should be patriotic upto a certain limit. Too little or too much is understating the country who has given you life and other resources in order for you to survive, overstating the status of your country/state/etc, something like SS/MNS.

xobile

Go to top