Debate Mansion

Physical Love and its necessity

MOTHERHOOD thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
It is a very sensitive topic.recently I saw a movie and read a book which dealt with the similar topic and I thought of making the topic.

The book is about the relationship between an impotent man and his wife.The man is a very good human being.He loves his wife very much.He supported his wife in every steps of life.But the wife is very unhappy.Because she is deprived of physical love.She once leaves her husband but at the end she comes back as she realizes he is the one for her.

The film is again about a husband and wife.Due to breast cancer the wife has to remove her breast and after that the husband starts ignoring her.He once clearly tells her that he wants a complete woman in the form of a wife and the wife leaves.

Now what is your opinion?Which one is more important mental love or physical love?If you get to know that your partner is physically inactive but a very good human being would you still live with him/her?What if you get to know that your bf/gf will not be able to give you physical love will you still continue with the marruage?Is it possible to live a life without physical love?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
"mental love"

I think you meant emotional love, but yeah whatever they'e practically the same thing.

In the context of the film and book, definitely if you share emotional attatchment with your partner then you can conquer your carnal desires.

Take the example of a prostitute and a spouse. A gigolo/hooker can only give you pleasure every now and then, but a spouse(if you love her/him) can provide you with lifelong companionship, whether your carnal needs are satisfied or not.

You might be able to control your desire for physical love, but it doesnt mean you cant have physical love just because one is infertile. You can still kiss and even have sexual intercourse, although you won't experience any orgasms, I think. But then again, if you love(emotionally/mentally) that person, does it really matter?

Sex is important in a relationship but not the most important.

Also, one might look at it in a positive manner that atleast you dont need to worry about pregnancy!

Personally if I was madly in love with that person I really wouldn't care.

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: JONAKIHATESYOU

Which one is more important mental love or physical love?
Mentallll! C'mon, it takes more than a hot or a beautiful body to love, and that is heart!

If you get to know that your partner is physically inactive but a very good human being would you still live with him/her?
Like I said, I would stick with him because I love him, not his body. Plus, physical attraction doesn't last long.. well, that's what I believe. I have seen old people being madly in love with each other, and old folks are physically.. you know. 🤔 So why can't love be possible when the other person is incapable of love-making or whatever..
It takes a heart to love, not boobs or hot bodies. And besides, what is an eternal love compared to a few minutes or hours of sexual pleasure?! 😕 ðŸ¤ª

What if you get to know that your bf/gf will not be able to give you physical love will you still continue with the marruage?
Again, I love "him" not his body. So what if the guy doesn't give any physical love, I might have to consider an adoption agency.

Is it possible to live a life without physical love?
Yes 😳 

This topic reminds me of the movie "A Beautiful Mind". Jennifer Connelly and Russell Crowe do have physical relationship initially but turns out that the guy is a paranoid schizophreniac, and as a result of a side-effect from treatment, his "physical" relationship with her is affected.
Jennifer Connelly is worried and upset initially but then she continues to love him and help him come out of his schizophrenia. And this is a real-life story of a Nobel Prize winner John Nash.

So, if you REALLY are in love with the impotent person, you can always have a physical relationship, but then you won't be able to pro-create.
If it's something like what happens to Russell Crowe, then it does upset the potent partner a little bit but then, it's nothing compared to emotional love that is eternal...

EDIT : I agree with OBJ, you can always kiss and hug the lover.
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 13 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: old-black-joe

"mental love"

I think you meant emotional love, but yeah whatever they'e practically the same thing.

Love itself is mental. Why would anyone do such a thing? 😆

Anyway, I wanted to clarify Jonaki do you mean actual erectile dysfunction or the guy is just shooting blanks?

More later.

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Anyway, I wanted to clarify Jonaki do you mean actual erectile dysfunction or the guy is just shooting blanks?

More later.

W.T.F is erectile dysfunction

JonakiIoveu...Good topic.....sorry ...Late for party ..so more later...😆😛😉
Edited by Believe - 13 years ago
MOTHERHOOD thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

More later.

Shooting blank means?

Well the guy ha no urge or interest in having sex.He never even touched his wife.

BTW,once I read in a newspaper article that a guy had sexual desires.He also hugged,kissed his wife and made love.But the wife never got any sexual pleasure.She felt immense pain and her body was never satisfied.Later after a checkup it was revealed that the man is impotent.Now my question is how can an impotent man have sexual desires?Why does he want to make love?And how is he satisfied when the wife is not?I know a very little about these things.can you shed light?
Too many issues out in the open here.  Let's first come to agreement on what "impotency" means for this particular debate. 

Jonaki, "shooting blanks" means the guy is capable of making love but his semen lacks sperms.  He can't impregnate a woman.

Believe, "erectile dysfunction" means the guy just can't either get it up or keep it up.  This usually leaves the woman frustrated and insatiated.

Jonaki, the way you explained the "impotent man" in your first scenario, it seems more like a case of the guy being asexual - he has no sexual feelings. 

Let me know which one is the case in your debate.

BTW, that second case where the woman had a mastectomy - she can always go for breast implants and become a "complete woman" once again.  I'd say go and super size them now that she got a valid reason to go for the implants:)

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Believe, "erectile dysfunction" means the guy just can't either get it up or keep it up.  This usually leaves the woman frustrated and insatiated. 

okie....Thanx for the info...gtgo...otherwise u can read more cra cra things from me ...no probs ...next year lol😆.....happy new year to all....

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

This is a sensitive issue, I have made a good hearted attempt in best judgment to address this appropriately. I've tried my best to keep it reasonable, respectable and age appropriate. However, if someone does feel that any part is crossing the line please PM me and I will edit my post.

---------------------

Sometimes, infertility can be mistakenly referred to as impotence. Shooting blanks is a euphemism for male infertility. That means that the man's sperm is infertile and cannot conceive.

Impotence means the person has issues performing sexually. It could be issues like erectile dysfunction as Gauri explained, or there can be other issues like finishing too fast. This does not mean lack of sexual desire. Both infertile and impotent people can have sexual desires. However, in the case of impotent people even though they have the desire, the follow through can be difficult. It can be inconvenient, uncomfortable, unsatisfactory or even painful at times.

Now to the scenario where there is no physical intimacy. This could be either due to a lack of sexual desire (asexuality) or a choice to not indulge in sexual desire. A marriage without physical intimacy is a platonic marriage. There was a time as a younger person where I thought sex was not important in relationships and even platonic marriages make sense.

However, as you grow older you realize that sex is a human need. Romantic love that makes up long term relationships requires a balance of both physical intimacy and emotional intimacy. All sex and no love, is just one night stands and hookups whereas all love and no sex is more like intimate friendship or romantic friendship. If you dont want physical intimacy you might as well as marry a really close BFF.

Each couple sets their own balance though. Some people can live their life with a really close best friend who is the emotional anchor in their life. If both people are comfortable with this arrangement, a platonic marriage works. But for most people some form of physical intimacy is required in a long term relationship or marriage. Physical intimacy is not always conventional sex. It can range from hugging and kissing to other forms of physical interaction - first base to fourth base. It is very important for both people to agree on a level of intimacy.

This brings us to the next criteria where the people do have sexual desires and want to fulfill them, but have challenges fulfilling them. This is a scenario where along with some form of medical treatment that may or may not help, couples have to think of balancing it out with other forms of physical intimacy. Sometimes pure emotional love can sustain such relationships, but things can get challenging when there is dissatisfaction for one person. (Although one question I will always have for some people is that if they don't want traditional sex, and are satisfied with other forms of physical intimacy – why are they heterosexual or in heterosexual marriages?)

See many people can say it's just sex, its physical, that one should not let sex ruin a relationship. However, sex can actually be emotional. In a marriage and healthy long term relationship it is an expression of love, an expression of loyalty, intimacy, caring and much more than a physical union. It is an essential part of such a relationship, so when there are challenges in sex , it does affect love and emotions too. Unsatisfactory physical intimacy can indeed negatively effect a relationship. If the couple can find a balance between emotional and physical intimacy the marriage can be sustained. However, if the balance is broken, the marriage may not last. It might be best for the marriage to end, rather than have an unhappy family than can have far worse consequences on society.

It is easy to judge men and women who walk out of relationships due to bad physical intimacy. Yes some people are selfish and reflect poor judgment putting physical desires over good sense. But relationships are complicated and we as third parties may not understand the emotions and other issues involved. Some people are unable to make compromises in certain aspects of relationships. People do need a certain amount of physically expressed love too in their lives.

I've explained already that impotent people do have sexual desires and act upon it. Human sexuality is a lot more complicated. Different people are satisfied by different things, not everyone is turned on or satiated in the same way. There are some things that may satisfy one partner, but do nothing for the other. Each body reacts differently and each person orgasms and climaxes at different times, through different means. The first several times of sex really is usually a learning curve as people have to figure out what works for each other and find a way where it is satisfactory for both partners. Relationships are compromises where people make sacrifices for each other and adjust. Sexual relationships work the same, both partners are not equally satisfied each and every time, people give and take, make adjustments and try to make it work long term.

MOTHERHOOD thumbnail
Thanks Sareena for the wonderful post.I was not very sure about the differences between impotency and asexuality.

I can live my whole life with an asexual partner if he is good in other things and is open minded.But I think living with an impotent man is not easy.It is only possible if the man controls his desires and doesn't touch you.Because sex free life is 100000 times better than painful sex life.And having sex with an impotent man must be very painful.