Debate Mansion

Freedom means! (Page 3)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains. One man thinks himself the master of others, but remains more of a slave than they.

- Jeane-Jacque Rousseau

If anyone wishes to read the full text of "Social Contract" - http://www.constitution.org/jjr/socon.htm

Do you agree with Rousseau's views RTH?

In certain aspects. Rousseau was a hearty proponent of the spirit of liberty, equality and fraternity. At the same time he recognized the importance of government, law and order. Tempered freedom, makes best sense. However, I have not studied Rousseau deeply enough to form opinions on the finer details of his proposals.

The reason I know this quote by Rousseau so well is that my 'Lord of the Flies' paper was based on the theme that 'Man is born free, but found everywhere in chains'. The symbolic chains were Simon's faith, Piggy's order and Jack's chaos, the biggest symbolic chain being 'The Beast' or 'The Lord of the Flies' that is all in our mind, we are enslaved to it. Ralph is the human symbolizing our struggle to find the true meaning of freedom.

And I think I've probably bored 90% of the forum with this post.

Edited by return_to_hades - 30 December 2010 at 10:05am

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged

Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains. One man thinks himself the master of others, but remains more of a slave than they.

- Jeane-Jacque Rousseau

If anyone wishes to read the full text of "Social Contract" - http://www.constitution.org/jjr/socon.htm

Do you agree with Rousseau's views RTH?

In certain aspects. Rousseau was a hearty proponent of the spirit of liberty, equality and fraternity. At the same time he recognized the importance of government, law and order. Tempered freedom, makes best sense. However, I have not studied Rousseau deeply enough to form opinions on the finer details of his proposals.

The reason I know this quote by Rousseau so well is that my 'Lord of the Flies' paper was based on the theme that 'Man is born free, but found everywhere in chains'. The symbolic chains were Simon's faith, Piggy's order and Jack's chaos, the biggest symbolic chain being 'The Beast' or 'The Lord of the Flies' that is all in our mind, we are enslaved to it. Ralph is the human symbolizing our struggle to find the true meaning of freedom.

And I think I've probably bored 90% of the forum with this post.

Yeah but his conclusions on law and government were often quite vague and based on false assumptions.

It's weird but we were taught that 'Lord of the Flies' is the classic antithesis to Rousseau. LOL
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged

It's weird but we were taught that 'Lord of the Flies' is the classic antithesis to Rousseau. LOL

I know, I like doing everything hatke. The teacher was very happy with my hatke interpretation. So it was all good. It's all about interpretation with book reports really (and if your teacher agrees with your interpretation).  

Go to top