Sasural Genda Phool
Sasural Genda Phool

The pleasure principle-Article

Shwets1502 IF-Addictz
Shwets1502
Shwets1502

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged

The pleasure principle

Shailaja Bajpai Tags : shailaja bajpai, columnist Indian Express, Indian Express oped, The pleasure principle Posted: Thu Dec 30 2010, 03:20 hrs

For the first time in years, there is something to smile about. Television has discovered the pleasure principle, discovered it can be experienced without the pain. In 2010, we have spent many happy hours watching TV shows without any alcohol content but still in high spirits.So raise a toast to Toasty (we kid you not), the chirpy-chirpy cheep-cheep star of Saas Bina Sasural (Sony) who looked happy to be married, who cheerfully arrived at her in-laws' home and who is dewy-eyed each time she looks at her beloved husband. And who unselfconsciously utters dialogues like, "Promise me, you will not flirt with me in the kitchen", when he offers to help her cook. She is the antithesis of the traditional TV bahu, normally forced into marriage, bullied by her new family, ignored by her other half or betrayed by him, and generally so thoroughly mistreated, Cinderella's step-mom pales in comparison.Toasty is not alone. Suhana from (Sasural Genda Phool, Star) — note the titles of two shows — is another winsome damsel who may find herself in distress but only momentarily. As the rich, spoilt brat married to middle-class Ishaan, she invariably does the wrong thing. But guess what? Rather than suffering lightning attacks from special effects, 360-degree camera shocks, temporary deafness from ear-splitting music and other harmful sound defects, the saas smiles at her bahu. Yes, smiles and laughs at her inadequacies, dismisses her failings, loves her.Suddenly, love floats. Pavitra Rishta (Zee) shares many of the unfortunate histrionic qualities of the old melodramas but it has a touching love story. Archana and Manav recreate a screen romance not seen since that of Prerna and Anurag in the early episodes of Kasautii Zindagii Kay. Manav is a garage owner, that's new for TV entertainment where the lead man is usually a macho machine born and living in the lap of luxury. Work for him is work-out. Archana worked — another novelty. Typically, female protagonists do nothing more strenuous than exercise their mouths.We've got a whole lot younger, too. If Balika Vadhu (Colors) made a child protagonist, Anandi, the most popular character on TV followed closely by Ichcha and Tapasya of Uttaran (Colors) two years ago, they're now all grown up and are pushing the older people to the edges of the screen. Although these three still suffer from the saas-bahu syndrome, TV entertainment is teeming with younger characters more like Toasty and Suhana. So hope floats.This shift from untold misery to youthful joy has meant producing TV shows — and watching them — is no longer manic. Instead of the pyrotechnics employed to create emotional tsunamis, there's a measure of calm and sanity in the approach. Camera shots are straightforward, still, not jerking a la Malaika Khan in "Munni Badnam Hui". Characters speak more simply, they have a conversation, they don't deliver dialogues like heavy courier packages weighed down by melodrama. Realism floats.And it's not just the serials. If there is one show that captured the mood of 2010 it is the latest season of Kaun Banega Crorepati (Sony). The elder statesman of Bollywood, Amitabh Bachchan returned to the role that remade his career. In his wake, Bollywood. There wasn't an actor who didn't host a show (Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar leading the way), appear as a judge on reality shows or make guest appearances. Even Aamir Khan graced TV with repeated visits to promote his films.KBC combined Bachchan's star quality with the charm and the exuberance of its participants, many of them young, many of them from different parts of India. Television entertainment has deserted the metros, gone to the heartland: Lucknow's Pankaj Bhadouria won Masterchef India, Rahat Taslim from Giridih, Jharkhand won KBC. Of course, the participants were flattered to be seen with AB and showered him with rose petals. But they were stars too, enjoying their moment of fame in a way we haven't seen before. On other reality shows — Bigg Boss, Khatron Ke Khiladi, Swayamvar, Masterchef India, Indian Idol — the contestants thrive on the element of anxiety, the fear of elimination. But on KBC, they thrived on the challenge of the questions, the joy of a correct answer or, simply being there.In all these ways, TV entertainment has reflected the profile of today's India. Happiness floats. Hopefully into the new year. Unless you happen to be watching the news...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

asyadadaAnu-AnanyaGurpreetD

crysind IF-Rockerz
crysind
crysind

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged
Thanks shweths... 
GurpreetD IF-Sizzlerz
GurpreetD
GurpreetD

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Shwets1502

The pleasure principle

Shailaja Bajpai Tags : shailaja bajpai, columnist Indian Express, Indian Express oped, The pleasure principle Posted: Thu Dec 30 2010, 03:20 hrs

For the first time in years, there is something to smile about. Television has discovered the pleasure principle, discovered it can be experienced without the pain. In 2010, we have spent many happy hours watching TV shows without any alcohol content but still in high spirits.So raise a toast to Toasty (we kid you not), the chirpy-chirpy cheep-cheep star of Saas Bina Sasural (Sony) who looked happy to be married, who cheerfully arrived at her in-laws' home and who is dewy-eyed each time she looks at her beloved husband. And who unselfconsciously utters dialogues like, "Promise me, you will not flirt with me in the kitchen", when he offers to help her cook. She is the antithesis of the traditional TV bahu, normally forced into marriage, bullied by her new family, ignored by her other half or betrayed by him, and generally so thoroughly mistreated, Cinderella's step-mom pales in comparison.Toasty is not alone. Suhana from (Sasural Genda Phool, Star) ' note the titles of two shows ' is another winsome damsel who may find herself in distress but only momentarily. As the rich, spoilt brat married to middle-class Ishaan, she invariably does the wrong thing. But guess what? Rather than suffering lightning attacks from special effects, 360-degree camera shocks, temporary deafness from ear-splitting music and other harmful sound defects, the saas smiles at her bahu. Yes, smiles and laughs at her inadequacies, dismisses her failings, loves her.Suddenly, love floats. Pavitra Rishta (Zee) shares many of the unfortunate histrionic qualities of the old melodramas but it has a touching love story. Archana and Manav recreate a screen romance not seen since that of Prerna and Anurag in the early episodes of Kasautii Zindagii Kay. Manav is a garage owner, that's new for TV entertainment where the lead man is usually a macho machine born and living in the lap of luxury. Work for him is work-out. Archana worked ' another novelty. Typically, female protagonists do nothing more strenuous than exercise their mouths.We've got a whole lot younger, too. If Balika Vadhu (Colors) made a child protagonist, Anandi, the most popular character on TV followed closely by Ichcha and Tapasya of Uttaran (Colors) two years ago, they're now all grown up and are pushing the older people to the edges of the screen. Although these three still suffer from the saas-bahu syndrome, TV entertainment is teeming with younger characters more like Toasty and Suhana. So hope floats.This shift from untold misery to youthful joy has meant producing TV shows ' and watching them ' is no longer manic. Instead of the pyrotechnics employed to create emotional tsunamis, there's a measure of calm and sanity in the approach. Camera shots are straightforward, still, not jerking a la Malaika Khan in "Munni Badnam Hui". Characters speak more simply, they have a conversation, they don't deliver dialogues like heavy courier packages weighed down by melodrama. Realism floats.And it's not just the serials. If there is one show that captured the mood of 2010 it is the latest season of Kaun Banega Crorepati (Sony). The elder statesman of Bollywood, Amitabh Bachchan returned to the role that remade his career. In his wake, Bollywood. There wasn't an actor who didn't host a show (Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar leading the way), appear as a judge on reality shows or make guest appearances. Even Aamir Khan graced TV with repeated visits to promote his films.KBC combined Bachchan's star quality with the charm and the exuberance of its participants, many of them young, many of them from different parts of India. Television entertainment has deserted the metros, gone to the heartland: Lucknow's Pankaj Bhadouria won Masterchef India, Rahat Taslim from Giridih, Jharkhand won KBC. Of course, the participants were flattered to be seen with AB and showered him with rose petals. But they were stars too, enjoying their moment of fame in a way we haven't seen before. On other reality shows ' Bigg Boss, Khatron Ke Khiladi, Swayamvar, Masterchef India, Indian Idol ' the contestants thrive on the element of anxiety, the fear of elimination. But on KBC, they thrived on the challenge of the questions, the joy of a correct answer or, simply being there.In all these ways, TV entertainment has reflected the profile of today's India. Happiness floats. Hopefully into the new year. Unless you happen to be watching the news...

ROFL OMG Just reminds me of suhana trying to  be good bahu episode.......wat a episode it was
Shwets1502 IF-Addictz
Shwets1502
Shwets1502

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged
@rubas...exactly...thats one of the best episodes ever...

in yesterdays episode..when suhana volunteered to help...i loved the familys reaction...yes they were a bit scared....
but they know suhana is not good in ths and cannot do and so they dont want her to do...they want her to be comfortable....they dont complain that suhana  is not doing anything...

i loved the line...the saas smiles at her bahu

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

GurpreetD

GurpreetD IF-Sizzlerz
GurpreetD
GurpreetD

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged

@rubas...exactly...thats one of the best episodes ever...

in yesterdays episode..when suhana volunteered to help...i loved the familys reaction...yes they were a bit scared....
but they know suhana is not good in ths and cannot do and so they dont want her to do...they want her to be comfortable....they dont complain that suhana  is not doing anything...

i loved the line...the saas smiles at her bahu

Shwets...i feel i m suffering from SGP syndrome.I mean i have to say its te best serial that has been ever made on indian TV..and i just luv itSmile

Shwets1502

Shwets1502 IF-Addictz
Shwets1502
Shwets1502

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged
@rubas....me tooo yar...nothing has ever touched me soo much...
more than sushaan...the family is what i love the most...from dadaji to meeti...everyone....

GurpreetD

GurpreetD IF-Sizzlerz
GurpreetD
GurpreetD

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged

@rubas....me tooo yar...nothing has ever touched me soo much...
more than sushaan...the family is what i love the most...from dadaji to meeti...everyone....

Yepppppppppppppppppp fully agree wid u yaar.i  just hope to meet ragini one day and hug herSmile

Shwets1502

madhu_d Senior Member
madhu_d
madhu_d

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:49am | IP Logged

@rubas  i agree..............

really !!! SGP syndrome everywhere...... i am watcing a hindi serial after 6 yrs. i was fed up with balaji stereo type serials.Saas bahu.. SGP has got freshness.. it has changed the entire TV industry scenerio..no showing of  muscles.. exposing... Very emotional... close to heart . all d family members can sit together n watch...the best casting  in any serial...(1 exception sonali acting)...

all i can say is..... SGP THE BIGGEST HIT OF 2010......

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

GurpreetDShwets1502

Go to top