Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

2010 Year of the double 'Ks'..bebo and kat

.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
2010 Year of the double 'Ks'
Meena Iyer, TNN, Dec 30, 2010, 12.00am IST

The year separated the men from the boys. Salman Khan, Ajay Devgn and Rajnikant showed that they could stand up and deliver. Likewise, 2010 also proved the supremacy of the two Ks ' Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif, over their lesser contemporaries.

Both girls now charge a price equivalent to some of the heroes. Bebo's advantage over Kat is that she can act. And she has the Khans serenading her on screen. Katrina started the year with a decent performance in Raajneeti (a hit) and ended the year as an item girl. "Her Sheila ki Jawani is the highlight of Tees Maar Khan,'' says trade analyst Taran Adarsh.

As for Kareena, she proved her acting mettle in We Are Family (a flop) but ended the year as one of the heroes of Rohit Shetty's Golmaal-3. The film is the fourth highest grosser of all times ' 3 Idiots, Dabangg, Ghajini and G-3. "And Kareena is on par with the heroes of the industry,'' says trade consultant Amod Mehra. "When it comes to the 'act' in the actress, Kareena is the best of this current lot,'' he says.

The third K in the business, Kajol, was feted for her performances in My Name is Khan and We Are Family. But her teaming up with her husband Ajay in Toonpur Ka Superhero is now pass. Deepika Padukone had four flops, Kartik Calling Kartik, Lafaangey Parindey, Break Ke Baad and Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey and one average hit Housefull. She is, however, safe because she has enough and more work in 2011.

Anil Kapoor is excited that his daughter Sonam had her first hit in I Hate Luv Storys. And she also won accolades for Aisha. "She's a chip off the old block,'' says Anil who is very confident that Sonam will find her place in the top rung. Priyanka Chopra had a disastrous run at the box office. She started the year with Pyaar Impossible and ended it with Anjaana Anjaani, two super-flops that did nothing to enhance her career. Even her television stint in Khatron Ke Khiladi was like soda water... all fizz and no substance. In short, PC has to wait for Saat Khoon Maaf, Agneepath and Don-2 to regain her lost glory.

Sonakshi Sinha was the September surprise. Says producer Ramesh Taurani, "I think Sonakshi has made one of the most assured debuts in Bollywood. She was fantastic in Dabangg and that is why I have signed her for Race-2. I see a bright future for this girl.'' Vidya Balan stole the show in Ishqiya... but had little else to do through the year. However, Vidya is in a happy place having landed some of the most interesting projects of 2011. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was plain unlucky in 2010. She had super-disasters in Raavan, Action Replayy and Guzaarish. Her teaming up with Rajnikant in Robot proved a blessing in disguise; saving her from becoming a box office pariah.

Also her international commercial endorsements and her beauty (she becomes more beautiful with age) have made her the chosen one for autobiographies, talk-shows and film festivals. Anushka Sharma was the easily one of the most underrated actresses of the year despite two good films. She won appreciation for Badmaash Company and Band Baja Baraat... but is hardly spoken about in the same breath as girls like Deepika, Sonam and Sonakshi because she is still seen as a Yashraj girl, which is more a disadvantage than an advantage. In fact, actors are just about waking up to the Anushka magic. Next year sees her teaming up with Akshay Kumar in Patialia House. Early reports say she has really steamed it up in this film... and if Patiala House works, Anushka may have something to talk about.

Bipasha Basu, Lara Dutta, Sushmita Sen and Genelia D'Souza did better outside of films... endorsements, exercise DVDs and extra-curricular activities. Rani Mukerjee and Preity Zinta literally sat the year out. Rani has a promising 2011, while Preity only shines through her cricket franchise.

Read more: 2010 Year of the double 'Ks' - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/2010-Year-of-the-double-Ks/articleshow/7184363.cms#ixzz19W9VHQA8Edited by lensahunte08 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
"Bebo's advantage over Kat is that she can act."
LOLπŸ˜† This is true but it's funny because it's so frank and blunt.🀣
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Kareena is at the peak of her career now. And totally agree about her advantage over Kat, though Kat's movies still do better than any other actresses BO-wise!

Ajay Devgan had a fantastic year as well both professionally and personally! I think I'm the happiest for him! He really deserves it!
Ozymandias thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: lensahunte08

Anushka Sharma was the easily one of the most underrated actresses of the year despite two good films.

This, I agree with the most. Gave two brilliant performances yet no one seems to care. Oh well, I prefer this not-so-popular but good actress over all other falto ones anyday...and Im sure some directors would eventually wake up and notice her.
IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Here's hoping 2011 will be more sucessful for Deepika! Though I'm glad she proved how versatile she is this year!😊

I'm sure Kareena will dominate next year..5 big films with all the Khans! Wow!πŸ‘πŸΌ

PC will be giving her tough competition with
Saat Khoon Maaf and Don 2! I think SKM will sweep away all the best actress awards!
.khoobsurat. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
SKM could possibly sweep all the awards. But remember bollywood awards look at boxoffice more than performances. A lot of actresses who gave great performances in the past were ignored at the awards just because their film flopped. And there is a huge chance that SKM might not be a big hit. So kajol might take the awards this year since MNIK was a hit. PC might take critics awards or Vidya.
Edited by lensahunte08 - 13 years ago
RagMasta thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Veryyy Interesting

Thanks for the article, I actually read the whole entire thing!

Didnt know Deepika had all flops πŸ˜†

Happy for Sonam..she had a good year..

I think Priyanka Chopra will be the best in 2011 bc of 7 knoon maaf
Katalicious thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: IHeartDeepika

Here's hoping 2011 will be more sucessful for Deepika! Though I'm glad she proved how versatile she is this year!😊

I'm sure Kareena will dominate next year..5 big films with all the Khans! Wow!πŸ‘πŸΌ

PC will be giving her tough competition with
Saat Khoon Maaf and Don 2! I think SKM will sweep away all the best actress awards!

Woohoo yes 😊
Katalicious thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
And five Kareena movies in 2010? Woah :S overload much?
IHeartDeepika thumbnail
Originally posted by: lensahunte08

SKM could possibly sweep all the awards. But remember bollywood awards look at boxoffice more than performances. A lot of actresses who gave great performances in the past were ignored at the awards just because their film flopped. And there is a huge chance that SKM might not be a big hit. So kajol might take the awards this year since MNIK was a hit. PC might take critics awards or Vidya.

Yup! Bebo has a huge chance of ruling next year because  her films with SRK and Aamir will be superhits for sure😊 Post Dabangg, Salman is on fire so many are looking forward to Bodyguard!

Since SKM releases next year we have to wait and see if PC is deserving to win!  think the film will be fantastic, it's Vishal Bhardwaj afterall.

Also I totally agree about performaces being ignored becauase of the fil'm's fate. Eg. Deepika

She gave such good performances in LP and BKB but they didn't get much acknowledgment becauase they weren't hits. But then when an actor has a 15 minute role in a big commercial film that becomes a hit, they walk away with all the credit!😑 
Edited by IHeartDeepika - 13 years ago