Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

The box office biggies of 2010

ladygaga IF-Dazzler
ladygaga
ladygaga

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged

Dabangg (Rs 140 crores)
Though 3 Idiots looked unbeatable once, it was beaten with Dabangg breaking the opening week record of 3 Idiots by a small margin. It couldn't match the total of 200 crores plus, but held on to not just cross the 100 crore mark, but also come close to 150 crores, hence making it the industry's second biggest success ever and Salman's biggest grosser till date.

Golmaal 3 (Rs 108 crores)
The mega success of this film was the biggest surprise of 2010. With around 60 crores coming in within the first week of its release, Golmaal 3 also exceeded the sum total of Golmaal and Golmaal Returns to turn into the biggest Bollywood franchise of all times.

Tees Maar Khan (Rs 40 crores on the first weekend and still counting)
Contrary to media reports that Tees Maar Khan had a bad opening, it has actually become one of the biggest grossers of the year. The opening weekend numbers (in excess of 40 crores) were like a shot in the arm for Akshay and Farah Khan too, as she had a point to prove to all her detractors that she could repeat the success of Om Shanti Om and Main Hoon Naa without SRK.

Raajneeti (Rs 93 crores)
The super success of Raajneeti proved that a product doesn't necessarily need to be tagged as a 'commercial entertainer' to be pitched for a wider audience. If made well with the right actors who suit the characters, a film can find a large audience, something Raajneeti succeeded in doing.

My Name Is Khan (Rs 72 crores)
A movie like My Name Is Khan can never be expected to take the kind of opening that a quintessential masala entertainer can. Having said that, it did quite well as it was hardly the kind of mass film that brings the audience in droves. An experimental film by Karan Johar which was a complete shift from what one expects in a SRK starrer, the film made over 70 crores.

Housefull (Rs 72 crores)
When released, Housefull had taken the third best opening ever after 3 Idiots and Ghajini and had the biggest opening of Akshay's career. A good run at the box office helped it cross the collections of Akshay's biggest money spinners till then — Welcome and Singh is Kinng — both of which had crossed the 70 crores milestone.

Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai (Rs 58 crores)
After 3 Idiots and Raajneeti, if there was one film which won all around appreciation for itself in early 2010, it was Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai. Even though the film hadn't opened to a fantastic response, the makers didn't panic since the audience had liked it. The film made money as it had a very good run at the box office.

I Hate Luv Storys (Rs 44 crores)
There were stories around I Hate Luv Storys being clichd and just a repackaged affair going right due to agg-ressive marketing and promotion. But, in times when movie making is truly a business affair, a fast inflow of cash is necessary. In that context, I Hate Luv Storys did well for itself.

Badmaash Company (Rs 33 crores)
After having put big money on the likes of Ranbir Kapoor (Rocket Singh — Salesman of the Year) and Priyanka Chopra (Pyaar Impossible), both of which turned out to be losing propositions, Yash Raj Films hit the right note with Badmaash Company. The film was on safe ground on its release and managed a good run.

Peepli Live (Rs 30 crores)
Despite all the media hype, terrific reviews and very good word of mouth reviews, Peepli Live exhausted its target audience in the first three days itself. Post that, the film saw a fall. Aamir Khan played it smart by treating Peepli Live as just another commercial outing and ensured that enough moolah was made quickly.

(Note: All are nett collections from India)

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

scorpio95Yahoo2pooja_l.shona.-Sakina-Siddhi_RagMastaKataliciousruky786Xiahtic-5

smarie IF-Rockerz

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

pooja_l

RagMasta IF-Sizzlerz
RagMasta
RagMasta

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
WOHOOOOOOOOOOO

I Hate Luv Storys!!

I am sooooo happy for that movie! Everyone used to tell me that its a flop, but noooooooo, it made it to the top 10 of this year!
LifeOLicious IF-Sizzlerz
LifeOLicious
LifeOLicious

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
woot woot for IHLS!! I somehow end up watching the movie over and over when I want to have fun and chillax!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RagMastanaadanmasakalli

Katalicious IF-Sizzlerz
Katalicious
Katalicious

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 12:44pm | IP Logged
GO TMK and RAAJNEETI Big smile
TheRowdiest IF-Stunnerz
TheRowdiest
TheRowdiest

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged
where is band baaja baraat? i thought it did better than BC Confused
preity*zinta IF-Sizzlerz
preity*zinta
preity*zinta

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged
2010 was a bad year for bollywood movies. Except for Rajneeti I didn't really like anything on this list

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Debo_Afghan-Sakina-Katalicious

sheee IF-Sizzlerz
sheee
sheee

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:10pm | IP Logged
I liked these 7 movies
Dabangg
Housefull
Raajneeti
My Name Is Khan
Housefull