Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

India-Forums

2/1/11 Promos:Performances *Spoiler* (Page 6)

nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged

@debayon:

Forgive me, but the excuse that Sushant knows dance so he can use good concepts made me laugh.

Have you seen the first season of JDJ? One of the most appreciated dancers was Mahesh Manjrekar- an UNTRAINED dancer. His dances stood out due to his concepts--- as a director, he had an idea of storytelling and how to include a certain angle in the dance that could make it stand out. A song- dance routine never held a lot of attention was his belief. Add to that, he got a fab choreo named Sonia who executed his ideas to perfection.

Same goes for Sushant. He is a creative and knowledgeable person, wants to be a director, and is using his ideas in the dance. He suggests and shampa choreographs accordingly---- nowhere has it been said that he helps Shampa out with the choreography. In fact, he himself said that I gave the idea of 'Mrityunjay' and Shampa choreographed it with the help of Tushar- the Chhau expert.

Now would you say about Mahesh Manjrekar?

Giving a concept has nothing much to do with dance. I—a most pathetic dancer---- have given ideas for dance performances that have got first prizes in events--- simply bcos I like to conceptualize and write out stories and tracks, and have devised plays too, which have got appreciation. (Not gloating, just trying to point out a fact)

What I personally feel is that sushant being a trained dancer has turned into a sort of BIAS. He does well and everyone has only one excuse---- oh, he's trained. Well, what most don't see, that now Sushant is competing against the toughest competitor- himself. If he does better than all, but not as good as what he did earlier, he will still get less marks. A trained dancer is ALWAYS scrutinized more. For a 'very good' performance Sushant got 20 in his first round.. while Daya got 23/24 for the Bhangra round which was not liked by judges. You can yourself see the difference.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

CuteCherrylunzabonnefilleNisha_90coolpratzAreYaar

lunza IF-Rockerz
lunza
lunza

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nikitagmc

He is a creative and knowledgeable person, wants to be a director, and is using his ideas in the dance. He suggests and shampa choreographs accordingly---- nowhere has it been said that he helps Shampa out with the choreography. In fact, he himself said that I gave the idea of 'Mrityunjay' and Shampa choreographed it with the help of Tushar- the Chhau expert.

Well, what most don't see, that now Sushant is competing against the toughest competitor- himself. If he does better than all, but not as good as what he did earlier, he will still get less marks.

Yup!! , I said pretty much similar thing in couple of my previous posts...

Edited by lunza - 02 January 2011 at 11:00am
bonnefille IF-Rockerz
bonnefille
bonnefille

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by debayon

Originally posted by bonnefille

Shweta Salve's dance experience is controversial, there has been no evidence of her ever having formal experience before, Gauhar Khan was somewhat of an item girl like Yana this season, I agree Sonali was trained, and it was unfair to put her on the show, but nothing we can do about it now, can we? I will still maintain though that Sonali wasn't an ideal candidate for JDJ. Sudha Chandran was missing a leg, so she had a disadvantage.

Also, most of the participants who were trained were trained in Indian dances, and it is much, much harder to adapt to Western dance(which has been the trend in the show so far) than the other way around. Also, this is kinda off topic but I would like to blame the production values of this season. This week, when they had a regional dance round, they had all these random folk dances, like Lathi dance and allConfused Whatever happened to Kuchipudi, Odissi and all the other dances?

Agreed about the restClap

Oh yes I so agree with the random folk dances they came up with....ragini's performance was commercial south indian dance routine and Salyana's so called dance form is actually form Indiam martial arts. lathi n all were a disappointment too.

Kuchipudi and Odissi are indian classical dance forms different from folk.

Gauhar did train in western style for her film career. about salve....controversy means she is trained. And about being unfair on part of production house....i will disagree as they as a commercial production house are running a dance show.....the dance performances have to be to certain a level....they have always looked for contestants who either have immense fan following or who have the potential to perform. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lunza

nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 11:09am | IP Logged
@Bonne: As fair as ever!!!Clap

@debayon: I have read previous interviews of Shweta salve (before JDJ) in which she had said that she was a trained dancer and very proud of it. She had even given the name of her guru, if I am not wrong. Later during JDJ, people started holding this against her, (just like in sushant's case) and she backtracked and said it was all a lie.

Regarding the fact that the previous contestants were trained in classical dances and not western, let me tell you, everyone--- from Saroj Khan to Madhuri- says that once you have learnt classical dancing, you can follow most other dance forms- you get that grace, agility and discipline. Madhuri herself said that classical dancing gives you a good foundation to dance, after that learning other dances becomes easier.

As for Sushant learning jazz is concerned- its becomes a disadvantage at times. Once during Zara Nach Ke dikha, there was a group dance with the staccato type movements--- I can't describe it perfectly, it was that ghost dancing, they had all dressed up like zombies and were dancing like them. At that time, Vaibhavi specifically pin-pointed Sushant and said that everyone else did it right, but your movements were wrong, cos due to your jazz training, unconsiciously, the 'jazz style' was coming in staccato. Even the small boy named Ayush was appreciated more than Sushant that day.

I hope this is sufficient to set everyone here thinking that being trained isn't really an advantage at all times.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

CuteCherrylunzabonnefille

debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged

@debayon:

Forgive me, but the excuse that Sushant knows dance so he can use good concepts made me laugh.

Have you seen the first season of JDJ? One of the most appreciated dancers was Mahesh Manjrekar- an UNTRAINED dancer. His dances stood out due to his concepts--- as a director, he had an idea of storytelling and how to include a certain angle in the dance that could make it stand out. A song- dance routine never held a lot of attention was his belief. Add to that, he got a fab choreo named Sonia who executed his ideas to perfection.

Same goes for Sushant. He is a creative and knowledgeable person, wants to be a director, and is using his ideas in the dance. He suggests and shampa choreographs accordingly---- nowhere has it been said that he helps Shampa out with the choreography. In fact, he himself said that I gave the idea of 'Mrityunjay' and Shampa choreographed it with the help of Tushar- the Chhau expert.

Giving a concept has nothing much to do with dance. I'a most pathetic dancer---- have given ideas for dance performances that have got first prizes in events--- simply bcos I like to conceptualize and write out stories and tracks, and have devised plays too, which have got appreciation. (Not gloating, just trying to point out a fact)

What I personally feel is that sushant being a trained dancer has turned into a sort of BIAS. He does well and everyone has only one excuse---- oh, he's trained. Well, what most don't see, that now Sushant is competing against the toughest competitor- himself. If he does better than all, but not as good as what he did earlier, he will still get less marks. A trained dancer is ALWAYS scrutinized more. For a 'very good' performance Sushant got 20 in his first round.. while Daya got 23/24 for the Bhangra round which was not liked by judges. You can yourself see the difference.

It's alright, you can laugh all you want.

OK, my memory may not be that sharp, so I don't recollect his dances, even though I remember him taking part. As far as I'm concerned, i did not like his dancing. I forget about the concept completely. What I thought the show was all about isn't what it is now. Correct me if I'm wrong: The show is all about popular people from other walks of life who have no experience in dance whatsoever, coming and competing on a national platform. The judging should have more weight on the star's improvement and performances than on the concept and choreography, even though the concept is an integral part of the performance, because art(which constitutes of dance) is all about the aesthetics.

What Chhau expert?Confused But if you look at the previous performance, the horror one, Shampa said that it was the brainchild of both Sushant and she...what do you have to say about that?

OK, but then why don't the other participants give suggestions and all to their choreographers? Till now, I have only heard Yana and Sushant to have given 'suggestions' to their choreographers. And both of them have some sort of relation to prior dance experience. Why do I not see Ankita, Mahi etc giving these suggestions you speak of? Because they are too busy setting up their foundations in dance! They don't have that time and energy because they are trying to learn a particular art from their learned choreographers, and have to shoot for their respective shows too.

Yeah, they should be more particular about scrutinization of a trained dancer....but apparently, i don't see that happening...even though Sushant has been giving mindblowing performances, going by your theory ie with respect to himself, I don't see any improvement, if you have noticed, in all of the 3 performances so far, some of his steps have not been the same. Daya deserved that edge because he has never danced before. And again going off topic for a bit, but I don't get the judging this season at all. They say something and give something else.
-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 11:19am | IP Logged
This is so random but please don't call Yaana and Salman SalYaana cause they aren't even a couple and their dance form was turned into a dance.
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 11:20am | IP Logged
ummm, every one is entitled to their own opinions? How immature are people that they can't deal with it without taking umbridge?
nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 02 January 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by debayon

@debayon:

Giving a concept has nothing much to do with dance. I'a most pathetic dancer---- have given ideas for dance performances that have got first prizes in events--- simply bcos I like to conceptualize and write out stories and tracks, and have devised plays too, which have got appreciation. (Not gloating, just trying to point out a fact)

It's alright, you can laugh all you want. I hope you didn't take offence at that one, I just wanted to make the atmosphere a little light.

OK, my memory may not be that sharp, so I don't recollect his dances, even though I remember him taking part. As far as I'm concerned, i did not like his dancing. I forget about the concept completely. What I thought the show was all about isn't what it is now. Correct me if I'm wrong: The show is all about popular people from other walks of life who have no experience in dance whatsoever, coming and competing on a national platform. The judging should have more weight on the star's improvement and performances than on the concept and choreography, even though the concept is an integral part of the performance, because art(which constitutes of dance) is all about the aesthetics.The 'no experience' in dance clause has never been the case--- its simply a show where people from all walks of life come together to compete. About the emphasis on dance only-- well, I have a different take--- dance is something that should touch you--- impress you, hold you.... I have no technical knowledge of dance, nor did everyone have long back, but everyone loved dances cos they were a form of expression. Is it any wonder then that most classical dances tell stories?

Its a pity that you don't remember Mahesh Manjrekar's dances. He was excellent. Sonia, who choreographed Baichung to victory in Season 3, said that many a times she used to feel that it was Mahesh who was more responsible for the appreciation than her.

What Chhau expert?Confused It was mentioned in TB article, Sushant said that they had been told that they could take outside help if required and a guy called tushar had helped Shampa with some basic Chhau mannerisms and steps. But if you look at the previous performance, the horror one, Shampa said that it was the brainchild of both Sushant and she...what do you have to say about that?Choreographed solely by shampa, idea devised by Sushant from the short film that he has written- 'Ignored Desibles'. Sushant doesn't know Salsa.

OK, but then why don't the other participants give suggestions and all to their choreographers? Till now, I have only heard Yana and Sushant to have given 'suggestions' to their choreographers. And both of them have some sort of relation to prior dance experience. Why do I not see Ankita, Mahi etc giving these suggestions you speak of? Because they are too busy setting up their foundations in dance! They don't have that time and energy because they are trying to learn a particular art from their learned choreographers, and have to shoot for their respective shows too.Shekhar Suman's choreo Preeti too said that their dance was a compilation of both their ideas. Again shekhar has more exposure to the industry, has written and directed too, and so is using his experience in his dances.

Plus what made you come to the conclusion that Mahi and Ankita don't suggest their choreos? As of now, this question was never put to them or their choreos in the first place. Who knows, they might be suggesting and we might not be knowing about it? Or maybe their ideas were not so good to be taken? Is it any necessity that every suggestion has to always be taken?

Besides, Ankita was adjudged the best dancer in her reality hunt- 'Zee Cinestars ki khoj.' So its not like she doesn't have good exposure. She has had lots of it too.

Sushant Yana are learning too, and sushant has hectic schedules too. Please do not be so dismissive of their efforts, I request you this.

Yeah, they should be more particular about scrutinization of a trained dancer....but apparently, i don't see that happening...even though Sushant has been giving mindblowing performances, going by your theory ie with respect to himself, I don't see any improvement, if you have noticed, in all of the 3 performances so far, some of his steps have not been the same.

I cannot judge steps, frankly speaking, but the more experienced ones on the forum have said that his performances have been much better. I will give you one name- Varsha Di (Dabulls23). She said the second performance was better than first, and the third was perfect.
Add to it the fact that the difficulty level of the performances increased since the first one. The first was jazz, something that came naturally to him, but his movements were not so clear. Second was salsa, an unknown territory, where judges said his moves were perfect. Third performance was the most difficult one, with slow poses and all, more on the classical side, with fab expressions and no lipsyncing. I'm absolutely amazed that you do not see his attempt to take on more difficult forms step by step and execute them to perfection.

Daya deserved that edge because he has never danced before. And again going off topic for a bit, but I don't get the judging this season at all. They say something and give something else.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

CuteCherrylunzabonnefilleAreYaar

Go to top