Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

India-Forums

Interpreting Sushant's performance (Page 5)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nikitagmc

I'm glad you liked it.Big smile

I remember your post in which you had said that there is so much in India itself, why do they do all foreign dances, or mix Bollywood in everything (It was yours na? Or someone else's? Confused)

Anyways- the point is- when I saw the performance I remembered that post and thought that this was a very authentic performance, with almost no mish-mash and masala, except for the Bollywood soundtrack- but then the lyrics were going very well with the whole theme, so its okay. I almost felt as if Sushant-Shampa had read your post and devised this performance. LOL A very impressive performance it was, and both of them did very well.

I haven't seen much of DID, but I do know of the performance you are speaking of.

And yeah, even I would like to see more of such dances. Specifically, I want to see Sushant and Shampa doing the 'Gondhar' dance form of Maharashtra. I think they will do it well.

I've made quite a few posts criticizing too much Bollywood or natak/masala instead of trying to be authentic to dance forms.

For me dance is dance, I don't mind if it is western or foreign. Folk, classical, ballroom or martial arts based - there are many amazing dance forms in India and across the world. My main concern is that the themes reflect dance genres and more emphasis be given to technique and authenticity. If you do salsa, do the best salsa you can, If you do Bharatnatyam, do the best Bharatnatyam you can – don't mix Bollywood or other stuff unless a fusion is expected. The US version DWTS also has celebrities and non dancers but they do authentic stuff. I'm sure our choreographers can do brilliantly too if only we pushed them in the right direction. For starters, Sushant's dance this week was true to form and excellent. Salman and Vrushali too have been doing their best to be true to the style. Of course there will be hiccups as some dances are very testing on non dancers.

I was unaware of many of the smaller regional Indian dance forms until DID. I have to give credit to DID dance masters Terence, Geeta and Remo for showcasing a variety of dance form including unique regional ones.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

tamushiSaffyFlowerlunzanikitagmcDabulls23

blyton IF-Rockerz
blyton
blyton

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by blyton

I would suggest to all of you who love the Mahabharata to read the novel "The Palace of Illusions" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. It is a beautiful interpretation of the epic from Draupadi's perspective, and goes into detail about her hidden passion for Karn.

Passion for Karna???Shocked

Okay, now I wasn't aware of this one.

It might be the writer's own perspective, but various interpretations have suggested that Draupadi was in love with Krishna, or with Karna.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

lunza

Dabulls23 IF-Stunnerz
Dabulls23
Dabulls23

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged
Niki Awesome post...

I was Awwed by Shampa-Sushant's performance depicting Mahabharata characters...Sushant's posture and poses were amazing...Shampa's choreography was fantastic...

My hubster and I were taking names as we saw the characters being portrayed by SuMpa....

Thanks for sharing detail information on your topic post..

RTH-Sarina I totally agree with your comment on DWTS..

I will also say SYTYCD Most dancers-Choreographers try bringing dance forms to the true sense...Not hodge podge like NDM with bollywood dance...

TL has done well on DID and so has Remo-Geeta...

Kruti did the similar dance in DID...She was another talented trained dancer....Star

BTW Best dance of the wk was SuMpa...ClapStar

Edited by Dabulls23 - 29 December 2010 at 2:07pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

SaffyFlowerlunzareturn_to_hadesnikitagmc

tamushi Goldie
tamushi
tamushi

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by tamushi

. Karan was the most tragic person with tragic ending, it was as if he was doomed from the birth itselfCry I have lot of respect for him because of his characteristics of loyalty and unbiased kindness towards one and all.

At this juncture, I would like to add one more point for those who don't know much about Karna.

When he had been shot by Arjuna's arrow and was at his deathbed, then his father the Sun God and Lord Indra were debating about his generosity. So they came disguised as beggars, and asked him for alms. Dying and bleeding, Karna said that he had nothing to give them. One of them then pointed out that there was some gold in his tooth. (He probably had a tooth/filling of gold). So Karna broke his tooth with a stone Cry and gave it to the beggars.ClapClapClap

It was a sign of the way he had led his life.Star After that he died.Cry

Pity that the performance had to be done in 2 and a half minutes only, so they couldn't show this part.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. I know it through serial and amar chitra katha book on mahabharat. I have to read the actual book.I do you know any online version or ebook for Mahabharat? thanks.

lunza

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged

I would suggest to all of you who love the Mahabharata to read the novel "The Palace of Illusions" by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. It is a beautiful interpretation of the epic from Draupadi's perspective, and goes into detail about her hidden passion for Karn.

Passion for Karna???Shocked

Okay, now I wasn't aware of this one.

It might be the writer's own perspective, but various interpretations have suggested that Draupadi was in love with Krishna, or with Karna.

Yes. 'Palace of Illusions' is the authors interpretation of Draupadi. It is not really the actual Mahabharata, but more like a canon or alternate universe – where things are interpreted differently. It is similar in concept to  'The Red Tent' which was such an interpretative work on Biblical characters. Or for a popular fiction example, its like how the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz is completely reinterpreted in the book/musical Wicked. It takes known characters and storylines and puts a whole new spin on it.

Some mythological purists tend to be against it as they don't favor interpretation, especially in religious myth. But if one enjoys viewing things from different perspectives and pondering over various what ifs – such books can be intriguing reads.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

blytonlunza

nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:33pm | IP Logged
@tamushi: I don't know any ebook as such. But I think you will get it easily if you google for it.

@Varsha Di: SuMpa???? LOL

How about ShUshant (Shampa+ Sushant??? Cos Madhuri and Malaika call him that only. They don't realise that its Sushant, not Shushant, as they call him all the time. LOL

Even in ZNKD, Shilpa used to say Shushant.

Poor guy must be so frustrated. LOL

lunzaDabulls23

nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged
@return-to-hades: Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing, and also thanks to Blyton for recommending.

lunza

Dabulls23 IF-Stunnerz
Dabulls23
Dabulls23

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 1:47pm | IP Logged
Isn't Sushant the spelling???   Embarrassed

ShuShant  or SuMpa

Both wornderful LOL

lunzanikitagmc

Go to top