India in 2020 - Do You Buy This Image? - Page 4

Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I'm not sure if the writer is being tongue-in-cheek or sensationalist. It almost seemed to me that the writer was mocking of social change in general ? kind of like a Thomas Taylor mocking Mary Wollstonecraft. I find a lot of the reasoning or explanation flawed, and I'm not sure if those flaws are really tongue-in-cheek.

This is not what I gathered.  I feel it's a satire on how Indian men in general are mamma's boys, insecure and chauvenists and women are either tyaag kee devis or utterly selfish.  Satires often go into extremes to score a point and often end up in ridiculing its subjects.  The author ridiculed the liberated women and men related to such women equally.   
Originally posted by blue-ice

yes to a certain extent....I am not so sure about the men becoming effeminate...whatever that means because according to me....listening to/respecting one's wife and taking care of household chores that traditionally was meant for the women folk....doesn't mean men becoming effeminate...
Regarding women I do believe that there are chances of families disintegrating as women become more aware of their rights and are offered more choices.....when the man and woman in a marriage are at par most of the times its their love and respect for each other that keeps them together...the seperation/divorce rates in urban India have shot up......In rural India families are more intact for the simple reason.....women don't have a lot of choices....u empower them and half of them would run away from their marriage..........women are the same all over the world ...they just behave according to the liberties they have ....

So, in a nutshell, you agree with the picture the author painted even if you feel it is a picture of urban India only?

I feel India is sitting on the verge of a major societal change.  More and more marriages will be more of an equal partnership than opposites holding a household together.  The trend for prospective educated urban grooms favoring working women over homely ones has been around for past decade or so but they were not ready to shoulder the household responsibilities at home.  Most of these men shirked from household chores and pitching in changing the baby's diapers etc.  This tendency has to change.  And it will change as more and more working women deal with the dual responsibility and raise their sons to be more sensitive than their husbands were raised to be by their mostly stay-at-home MILs.

However, I have noticed two scenarios with current  middle-aged double income families in India - (1) men not lifting a finger at home while the woman slogs in the kitchen, bathroom, work AND (2)the couple employing ample household help so that even the woman does not have to slog at home - the man still does not like to lift a finger once he gets home.  The later is more a prerogative of higher middle class than lower or middle-middle class.  Couples where both partners are engaged in manual labor type jobs like maids, nannies, cooks, loborers, drivers, security guards etc - it is still the woman who ends up working the double shift - one at work and another at home.  So, over all, India has a long way to go before both partners are on an equal footing.

Women can make a difference to the current mindset though by raising both their sons and daughters to be responsible and sensitive partners when they grow up rather than deeply set in the stereotypical roles we have seen for ages.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by Gauri_3

This is not what I gathered.  I feel it's a satire on how Indian men in general are mamma's boys, insecure and chauvenists and women are either tyaag kee devis or utterly selfish.  Satires often go into extremes to score a point and often end up in ridiculing its subjects.  The author ridiculed the liberated women and men related to such women equally.   

If that is the case, the satire did not work well for me personally. To me it almost sounds as if the writer is serious about some points rather than being satirical. Like he actually perceives men and women this way.

Originally posted by return_to_hades

If that is the case, the satire did not work well for me personally. To me it almost sounds as if the writer is serious about some points rather than being satirical. Like he actually perceives men and women this way.

The points are way too outlandish to be any rational person's perception.  They are outlandish to the extent of being funny by creating an OTT pathetic image of middle-aged men and unbirdled librated women.  I feel the hidden message he is trying to convey is about finding a balance.  But then, this is just my interpretation.
^^

After the tea party, I'm sure that some people are insane and talk insane. 😆

But I do agree with you on most counts

-          Family and Society will not disintegrate. Balance is the key. There will be hiccups and issues, but it works out in the long run.

-          Yes, there are issues with Indian men and society – but the whole effeminate men thing is a load of something.

..Edited by blue-ice - 13 years ago
..Edited by blue-ice - 13 years ago

1) yes I do think its going to be for a long long time unless the society gets used to a more liberated woman...
2) Of course liberalization of the women should be encouraged...why should women bear the onus of keeping the family together..........but the liberalization should come with a sense of responsibility......I feel that a powerful woman can be more ruthless than a powerful man...e.g..Mayawati🤢..............but here I am talking about responsibility in terms of raising a family and sustaining a marriage......just because we can doesn't mean that we should.......and like Gauri said boys need to be raised in a different way.......they should be taught to treat their wives as equals...

Women's liberation movement has to learn one fundamental thing.... that is not to imitate man and not to listen...some people trying to prove that men and women are equal..... Thy are not ..... and when I say they are not,... I don't mean that someone is superior and someone is inferior.....that thy are unique...... Women are women and men are men.... there is no question of comparison...and other reason I think every woman is jealous of every other woman, then naturally this is one of the fundamental causes of their slavery....They cant becom a force.... otherwise they are half the number of people ... they could have managed to become liberated long ago....

If we analyse,men have been telling women that they weak, which is medically wrong. Women live longer than men, five years longer. Women suffer less from diseases than men. Women go mad half as often as men..... Women commit suicide half as often as men.... Still, the woman is weak, and she has to be kept cut off from every corner so she cannot grow. n half the society consists of women....if we check women all over the world are trying in every possible way to behave like men....they are wearing men's clothes, smoking cigarettes like men, and whatsoever they can do... they use language like men have always used it, becoming arrogant, aggressive, losing the feminine quality... See the women of the liberation movement.... they have lost something ... something soft, feminine, receptive, passive, is no more there....they are aggressive, violent. 😊

1) yes I do think its going to be for a long long time unless the society gets used to a more liberated woman...
2) Of course liberalization of the women should be encouraged...why should women bear the onus of keeping the family together..........but the liberalization should come with a sense of responsibility......I feel that a powerful woman can be more ruthless than a powerful man...e.g..Mayawati🤢..............but here I am talking about responsibility in terms of raising a family and sustaining a marriage......just because we can doesn't mean that we should.......and like Gauri said boys need to be raised in a different way.......they should be taught to treat their wives as equals...

Thanks for explaining, your previous post kind of sounded unfavorable to liberalization of women so I wanted to clarify. 😊

I think the disintegration of family is a temporary phase. A patriarchal society has difficulty adjusting to both genders playing equitable roles in the family. Some people have a hard time letting go of old gender roles and accepting women who work, are independent etc. When such a conflict arises, families tend to suffer. However, as women start raising their children in this viewpoint, and more people are exposed to the shared responsibility view of family - the conflict reduces and over time families are stronger again.

As I had mentioned in one of my previous posts - in USA the Regan era saw a high number of divorces, late seventies and early eighties divorce skyrocketed. Some were due to the inability of men and others to adjust to the new image of woman. Some were indeed due to women abusing the liberty they had and making poor choices. But towards the end of the nineties the new generations were learning the liberties and the responsibilities and divorce rates stabilized and are slowly reducing.

I guess 2020 India could be see issues in terms of family stability and conflicting views. But I am sure that by 2030 we would also see stabilization of society.
About divorce: There are 1000s of people in this world affriad or fear to try divorce becouse of society and soceitie's conditioning and I believe fear oriented living can never lead you into deep relationship....if anyone think to divorce...I just wanna say don't make it an ugly affair, not at least from ur side. Her side is her responsibility, from ur side make it absolutely easy.... Whatsoever you can do to make it easier, do it. Let it be a very very silent, pleasant thing and...... I believe...No wife believes that the husband can be wise ... not even the wife of Socrates believed it,.. not even the wife of Gandhi believed it. No wife has ever believed that the husband can be wise....... The whole world may believe' bt the wife cannot. ...She knows your foolishness, she knows your childishness, she knows your sexuality, she knows your lust.... How can you be wise?... She has seen you make love to her. How can she think that you can meditate, how can she think that now you have become a sannyasin? Whom are you trying to deceive? You can deceive the whole World or Soceity... you cannot deceive the wife!😊 Edited by Believe - 13 years ago