Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: old-black-joe

true, this applied only to people who wanted to get married/ have a relationship πŸ˜†

What I meant was that some want their better-halves to be as well-accomplished as them so that they can connect intellectually.
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I just got kicked out of the future. πŸ˜†

Not really.  You only doomed your parents to an old-age without a feeble man sitting at home doing nothing but looking after them while you go out to bring the bread and get some orgies --- you still get to go out and earn the bacon and get some fun but your parents will be sitting at home all by themselves given your current choice of staying singleπŸ˜†
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

I just got kicked out of the future. πŸ˜†

No, you'll be part of that group which remains unmarried duuuh

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

What I meant was that some want their better-halves to be as well-accomplished as them so that they can connect intellectually.

Alright, we were discussing people not being able to be married to equally successful people, that's why I wrote that πŸ˜†

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

That families will disintegrate because (as implied in the article) women will be empowered and aware of their sexuality and needs.  That women empowerment or awakening will lead to men turning into effeminate weaklings.  That both genders cannot be self assured and driven simultaneously.  That respect can be earned one gender at a time and that too by reducing the other gender to a mere vegetable. 

I can go on and on and on.  Even though I find this article a fun read and don't take it seriously, I don't approve of the implications the author cooked up and related to women becoming stronger eventually. 

Basically, I think the article is just restating a narrow history of the west.

Western society went through a sexual/social revolution in the sixties. They only saw the civil rights movement where blacks received equal status in society, but the perspective towards women and sexuality also changed. Women were a full time stature in the workforce. Dual income families were the norm.  Due to the pill and changing moral standards, women also felt more sexually liberated. This trend has continued as women get more independent and strong.

Some level of family disintegration rate does take place because one generation always has a harder time to accept change. Divorce rates spiked during the Regan era as people had a hard time accepting the more liberal stature of women, as well as challenges integrating multi-ethnicity. However, by the late nineties divorce rates dropped again and stabilized as the coming generations were more at ease and accepted this social and sexual change.

There is also that evangelical trend as the author does rightly point out. We see that here with the Baptists and evangelicals. Women (and men) who strongly reject and condone the independent, working and sexually liberated women. A small trend of stay at home moms popping a dozen children espousing family values, female subordination and feminine role in household. Liberal Europe has not seen this trend like the Americas. However, what the author fails to realize is that this faction is not really being seen as the respectable upholders of tradition and family - but as the religious crazies. Family values and religious values will always be important as we see even more and more liberal church going families - but the rigid sexual morals and gender stereotyping is a thing of the past.

Yes, men will also become more effeminate. As women find more liberty to be masculine and take on masculine tasks, men slowly take on some more feminine tasks. That is only if you view gender roles as rigidly separated.  I personally don't see a problem why men baby sitting and changing diapers, cooking/cleaning or chatting with grandmas over soaps is overtly and wrongly effeminate. These are just societal and family functions and it should not matter which gender fulfills these roles, As long as each family finds their own happy balance.

Actually for the longest time the burden of home and work fell squarely on the women even in the west. While the eighties 'Tom Boy' image of girls became an acceptable cultural icon, boys still were terrified of expressing so called femininity. However, now with the emo movement, gleeks and other social subclasses men and boys are slowly finding it more and more acceptable to indulge in these so called feminine realms like emotion, poetry, fashion, make up, shopping etc.

What any sociologist ought to realize is that in reality its not one gender becoming stronger, or the masculinization of the female or feminization of the male - but it really is about both genders finding more freedom to be themselves, and each family finding more freedom to have their own dynamics.

xobile thumbnail

That families will disintegrate because (as implied in the article) women will be empowered and aware of their sexuality and needs. Thatwomen empowerment or awakening will lead to men turning into effeminate weaklings. That both genders cannot be self assured and driven simultaneously. That respect can be earned one gender at a time and that too by reducing the other gender to a mere vegetable.

I can go on and on and on. Even though I find this article a fun read and don't take it seriously, I don't approve of the implications the author cooked up and related to women becoming stronger eventually.

Hey sorry I didn't quite get you. Is your first paragraph a list of predictions thy you do or do not buy? Edited by xobile - 13 years ago

[

Not really.  You only doomed your parents to an old-age without a feeble man sitting at home doing nothing but looking after them while you go out to bring the bread and get some orgies ---

😲  What are you implying?

you still get to go out and earn the bacon and get some fun but your parents will be sitting at home all by themselves given your current choice of staying singleπŸ˜†

Relationships would not be so hard if people did not always come to marriage down the road. Anyways, parents always have each other - why do they need their kids

mr.ass thumbnail
Originally posted by: xobile

Hey sorry I didn't quite get you. Is your first paragraph a list of predictions thy you do or [I]do not[/] buy?

she does.
mr.ass thumbnail

to take care of them if they are old, sick and poor.
Originally posted by: old-black-joe

to take care of them if they are old, sick and poor.

That I agree. I meant more in the sense that get their kids married. If kids are single, they have more time, money and energy for parents.
mr.ass thumbnail

That I agree. I meant more in the sense that get their kids married. If kids are single, they have more time, money and energy for parents.

they want their bloodline to continue I guess.