Chhoti Bahu.. Sindoor Bin Suhaagan

India-Forums

An article on Zees current situation 28th dec (Page 4)

misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 1:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Annamarie

Thanks 4 the article .

You are welcome Annamarie.Big smile

misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by radhika5

Zee's Aversion to Reality

By Sudeep Jain

The past few months have not been good for investors in Zee Entertainment Enterprises.

With the company's flagship channel Zee TV losing market share to more adventurous rivals in the busy October-to-December quarter, the firm's shares have lost 6.5% in this period, underperforming the BSE 100 index by nearly 5%.

On Tuesday, the company's shares were trading 3.1% higher at 140.30 rupees ($3.11) in the early afternoon after having fallen 1.9% in the previous session.

According to TAM, a television viewership measurement agency, Zee TV has fallen to the fourth position in the Hindi general entertainment segment in the week ended Dec. 18, ranking behind Sony TV for the second straight week. But the viewership figures paint a more dismal picture than is warranted, say some analysts.

Hi Misti
welcome back--
Thanks for posting the article.

I realy like the heading Zee's Aversion to Reality.
At least this journalist seems to check his facts before writing---

Zee really needs a makeover to get back in the game. Zee TV, although a small component of the business, it can do better than what it has done in the last quarter from Oct-Dec 2010.
Well, coincidentally it is the same quarter after CB was closed.

I really wish that Zee TV takes the viewers views seriously and make an announcement of bringing back Avinash and Rubina.

Another article regarding reality check........I don't know whether it has been posted in the forum before.

Facts beyond Fiction

Ormax Media co-founder and CEO Shailesh Kapoor

(31 December 2010)

Over the last two years, since the launch of Colors in 2008, we have 

come expect a very dynamic and unpredictable Hindi GEC environment. The year 2010 was no different. Star Plus showed a resurgence in the first half of the year, backed by two successful new launches - Pratigya and Sasural Genda Phool. In the last quarter, Sony's rise to the no. 3 position was the big story. KBC, followed by Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, helped Sony inch ahead of Zee TV in what continues to be a see-saw battle. Also helping Sony's cause have been its new fiction properties - Saas Bina Sasural and Krishnaben Khakhrawala - and the fact that most of Zee TV's fiction launches in 2010 were non-starters, given the expectations set by the channel's strong pedigree in fiction content over the last few years.

But for me, the big story of 2010 was the rise of non-fiction. Amidst scepticism, KBC returned on the small screen, with a revamped format, the original host, and a new channel. The program's consistent deliveries in a tough weekdays 9pm slot surprised many cynics who thought Sony was flogging a dead horse. Bigg Boss too reached its best-ever performance, across four seasons. But what caught most by surprise was the incredible opening ratings of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa on Sony. Truly, the fiction vs. non-fiction divide is not the way we have known it till 2009. It is far more balanced today. The table below illustrates this point using data from our product Characters India Loves (CIL). The percentage of respondents choosing non-fiction characters over fiction characters has improved consistently in the last year and a half.

Month
Fiction Share %
Non-Fiction Share %
Sep 2009
Dec 2009
March 2010
June 2010
Sep 2010
Dec 2010
Each CIL study covers 2400+ respondents across six cities in 15-44 yrs. SEC ABC(70% females, 30% males)

In a highly cluttered environment characterized by ever-decreasing loyalty levels, the role of marketing became ever so important. If a new non-fiction show did not generate enough buzz when it launched, it stood very little chance of resurgence. However, for fiction, the resurgence could come over weeks, as content evolved. Many fiction shows opened to good numbers but struggled to hold on, while many others showed consistent groW*H on the back of powerful content.

The table below lists the top 10 non-fiction and fiction launch marketing performances in 2010, as measured by Showbuzz, which tracks the UA (Unaided Awareness) and TA (Total Awareness) of new shows on television.

Top 10 Non-fiction and Fiction Launches in 2010 (Showbuzz)
Non-FictionFiction
Show
UATA
Show
UATA
Bigg Boss 4
Gulaal
KBC
Tere Liye
Khatron Ke Khiladi 3
Ganga
DID Li'l Masters
Kaali
Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa
Behenein
Indian Idol
Kaashi
Rahul Dulhania Le Jayega
Jamuniya
Masterchef India
Rishton Se Badi Pratha
National Bingo Night
Sasural Genda Phool
Zara Nachke Dikha
Chaand Chhupa Badal Mein

A lot rides on the first month and a half of 2011. Before the ICC World Cup and the IPL kicks in, Colors will look at making an impact within fiction in 9-10pm. If the channel has to give Star Plus a close fight for the top spot, Phulwa and Mukti Bandhan will have to necessarily deliver good numbers.

Sony has managed a steadily growing year, especially in the last four months. The channel seems set to become a consistent no. 3 in 2011, if its fiction content continues to get stronger, like it has in recent times.

But in all this, don't rule out the biggest story of 2010-11 - SAB TV. Breaking every notion of the GEC viewing, the family-inclusive de-stress channel has reached never-before numbers, within striking distance of Sony and Zee TV at times. The way the mood of the country is moving, it will be no surprise if SAB manages to grow further. Comedy, along with reality television, is where the next level of groW*H lies.

(Shailesh Kapoor is the Co-founder and CEO of Ormax Media, a company specializing in consumer research in the media and entertainment industry).

Edited by misti73 - 06 January 2011 at 1:38am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

PutijaChalhovradhika5Neerjaa

misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 1:41am | IP Logged
LOL
Originally posted by radhika5

Me thinks--the reason behind failed Zee TV's strategy regarding their new shows----is best explained by the cartoon...I wish I could have substituted a Carrot for an AppleSmile (but it was too much work)

Zee TV's Innovation

Wonder how cans of apple sauce are they planning on making.......soon the market shelves will be overpowered by the cans of apple sauce containing preservatives.LOL   

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

radhika5

misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 1:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nycsweetie

thx for sharing

You are welcome nycssweetie.Wink
misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chipak

Originally posted by radha_bilahari

Thanks for this article Misti.

zee tv's new shows are hovering around the number 1 as per TAM reports and not as per ZEE numbers.  Even if any new show comes up, they themselves know that to cross the barrier of 1 is going to be a Herculean task.  Added to that with the world cup cricket fever, with most of the matches scheduled to be day and night these shows are likely to take a good beating.  ZEE has already set itself up for a viable excuse for doing badly.  Meanwhile ZEE will have a list of shows that will go from bad to worse and they will be in a good position to decide what can go off air.  Maybe CB2 should come only when ZEE has no other recourse but to take the obvious decision.  They may also learn to take interest in the new show and will promote it well.

Just my thought.

Thanks Misti for the article...hmmm so blaming other..reality shows for their lack of skills n opeartional efficiencyAngry

Radha me too want the same. Cb2 shud come as saving grace for channel and they better learn to treat shows nicely

You are welcome. Big smile...Zee tv is usually ready to blame others than to accept that they are at fault. Well in this way other channels will go ahead but Zee will be left sucking its thumb and throwing tantrums.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

radha_bilahariradhika5

misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by lavalina

ya i think after bringing back old srials like CB zee gona moved up again

Lavani, Zee moving up can only happen if they bring shows with good scripts. This is a department where Zee lacks while the other channels are usually paying attention to the script. Majority of the shows project useless stuff but the way they package it in the scripts is what keeps them ahead.
misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 5:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bholabear

Thanks for the article Misti. 

So many similar articles about Zee's dropping TRPs, TAMs, and what not are being aired, but no sign if Zee is even taking note of them. 

You are welcome bholabear....well if the channel wan't to hide its head in the sand then this will happen.
radha_bilahari Goldie
radha_bilahari
radha_bilahari

Posted: 06 January 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged
Misti,

Welcome back after your vacation.  Hope you had a great time.  there was such a lull in the forum and now am sure it will become more interesting and fun as before.

Zee Tv does have the habit of pointing fingers at others rather than accept their mistakes.  i can think of a series of actions in the last couple of months which is quite weird.

1)  The closure of MNKR and the launch of Sanskaar Lakshmi in its place.  While the former happened, the latter is yet to happen.  Subsequently, I read an article that it is going to be aired from 10th Jan but the ZEE site has left that slot open till 3rd week, which means it is not likely to be launched on date.

2)  Series of articles about the launch of CB2 in Jan  and then a complete silence without any news except some tit bits every now and then.

3)  Zee asking its actors not to attend the award functions of other channels.

4)  the flurry of news about AJ's extension, more to give trouble to Ratan's swayamvar than anything else, because if you have a peep at their forum most people are so unhappy with the tracks that they would prefer that  the show to discontinue, yet they want it to continue.
I atleast read that 2-3 actors of AJMBK are already chosen for other shows too.  Do you think Ratan would have gone ahead with Swayamvar, if AJMBK was to be continued, anyway it looks like some last minute changes.

5)  The latest buzz is about some new show which is going to be launched from Feb in a prime time slot, so which slot is vacant I dont know.

6)  JKR is also speeding up and the forum members think that it is nearing the end, but they also have some info about an extension for 6 months, and it looks like the historical incidents and stories have also been changed to suit the TRP requirements.

The last part is the funniest part.  I have got a mail from ZEE Tv to inform me that Sara Khan is getting married again.  Atleast if I had got some info on CB2 I would have been glad but to no avail.  I was so shocked to get this unexpected mail, is it something to do with the motivational speech I was planning to give them or is it something else?  

P.S:  Sanskar Lakshmi to be aired from 17th jan in MNKR slot.

Edited by radha_bilahari - 06 January 2011 at 8:28am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

PutijaChalhovradhika5Ansa786Neerjaamisti73

Go to top