Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

Fun of South Indian People :( (Page 7)

hide IF-Rockerz
hide
hide

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bandicoot

Originally posted by lathika4u

you may know what you are talking about but readers do not understand your meaningless posts hence this clarification..

im not in a mood to continue a senseless argument with u so please find a bakra

have a good day.

oh and thank u for representing all the readers.. Sleepy

very good.. you need sense to understand an argument and folk dance..

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 3:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Just curious, would you slot Bollywood dancing or the hindi cinema dancing as "folk" by that criteria

No Bollywood does not fall under folk because it really is not a 'genre' of dance at all. It is as much a dance genre as much as pop music is a music genre. Folk dance or music has a regional or ethnic flair to it. There is a sociocultural significance in its evolution. There is a distinct identity to some forms of movement, a social significance, a style of music. Take folk Indian - bhangra, garba or even foreign like swing, troika, etc, you can see that distinctness.

Bollywood is theatricality. It is a hodge podge medley of all sorts of dance forms fused together for theatrical effect, larger than life histrionics and entertainment. There is no regional or ethnic flair. There is the social significance of cinema; but the dance and music really can be any element at any given time from any given influence.

One of my biggest pet peeve with many shows like JDJ - is excessive Bollywood and theatricality instead of proper dance genres and authenticity. Especially when in India itself we have so many dance forms people are unaware of. It is what in Gleekdom would be called Hairograhy - dramatic hair-tossing (and other added drama)'to distract from the fact their singing and dancing ability is limited.

I wish they displayed a lot more variety of southern dances rather than the same old dapaankuthu that gets on my nerves after a while.

That makes sense. Bollywood copies from way too many sources to be categorised as one genre.

Regarding excessive Bolly theatricals in dance performances, that is what annoys me as well. In an attempt to provide a complete act or dramatise their performance, they end up losing the basic theme at times.

Regarding southern representation in dance performances, there are many different dance styles in the southern states. All the choreos however use the same style maybe because there are lesser rules, more flexiiblity and presumably lesser criticism. There is also a fair bit of caricaturing going on there. To me it looks like a cacophony covered up by a lot of fast steps rather than a decent performance. Another person might come out with a different perspective.

Edited by bandicoot - 28 December 2010 at 3:42pm
debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged
Well people have pretty much summed up what I wanted to say. All I wanna add is: So much for unity and secularism in IndiaLOL

Well, since pretty much everybody has the same opinions, let's spice it up a bit.Tongue These stereotypes are not purely fictional, they are based off of some truth too. I being a Bengali(brought up in the States and Delhi), crack up at the 'babumoshai' accent some of the people have when they attempt to speak Hindi in Kolkata. I have had some pretty bad experiences in the South, in some places, neither could the people speak English or Hindi. I would literally want to hug someone who spoke either of the 2 lanuguages.

But yes, these comedy acts take advantage of that situation, and try to represent a particular culture as having some 'abnormal' traits if you know what I mean. That should stop. Like the Santa-Banta jokes. They are pretty funny, but all the humor is gone when they highlight the fact that they are sardars. People should remember that we are Indian first, and not Marathi, or Gujurati.

People carry an Indian passport, not a Kannada or Malayali passport. OK, I know this statement isn't fool-proof,but just go with it.LOL

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

desicrowdAngel-likeDevilkinara17petticoat

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged
^LOL true

Being tamil, Ive been asked to sing some of these songs and wear half-sarees as well. I humor them.LOL Even though I dont have a distinct tamil accent when I speak, I do understand where "the accent representation" comes from.

For a while the sterotypes are funny, after a while it gets big time annoying- the bengali accent, the southern caricatures, punjabis being boisterous, marwaris being miserly, marathi women being kamwaalis, etc. I would like to think that some people from these regions are as annoyed as I am when they see these stereotypes.

About your southern experiences, well atleast my state had an Anti-Hindi Campaign long ago and still does on a smaller level. That is a wholly different topic though :)

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

kinara17debayonAngel-likeDevil

Anjaani_Dastaan IF-Dazzler
Anjaani_Dastaan
Anjaani_Dastaan

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by debayon

Well people have pretty much summed up what I wanted to say. All I wanna add is: So much for unity and secularism in IndiaLOL

Well, since pretty much everybody has the same opinions, let's spice it up a bit.Tongue These stereotypes are not purely fictional, they are based off of some truth too. I being a Bengali(brought up in the States and Delhi), crack up at the 'babumoshai' accent some of the people have when they attempt to speak Hindi in Kolkata. I have had some pretty bad experiences in the South, in some places, neither could the people speak English or Hindi. I would literally want to hug someone who spoke either of the 2 lanuguages.

But yes, these comedy acts take advantage of that situation, and try to represent a particular culture as having some 'abnormal' traits if you know what I mean. That should stop. Like the Santa-Banta jokes. They are pretty funny, but all the humor is gone when they highlight the fact that they are sardars. People should remember that we are Indian first, and not Marathi, or Gujurati.

People carry an Indian passport, not a Kannada or Malayali passport. OK, I know this statement isn't fool-proof,but just go with it.LOL

HOLY CRAP ur Bengali :O IM BENGALI from kolkata too O_O 

but i do agree with u guys on this topic 
it annoys me that south indians are protrayed with funky braided air and thick moustaches =/ 

and the dance Ragini did was def not folk =_= 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

kinara17debayonAngel-likeDevilpetticoat

debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 7:13pm | IP Logged

^LOL true

Being tamil, Ive been asked to sing some of these songs and wear half-sarees as well. I humor them.LOL Even though I dont have a distinct tamil accent when I speak, I do understand where "the accent representation" comes from.

For a while the sterotypes are funny, after a while it gets big time annoying- the bengali accent, the southern caricatures, punjabis being boisterous, marwaris being miserly, marathi women being kamwaalis, etc. I would like to think that some people from these regions are as annoyed as I am when they see these stereotypes.

About your southern experiences, well atleast my state had an Anti-Hindi Campaign long ago and still does on a smaller level. That is a wholly different topic though :)
Yeah, I have the same problems. Even though I can speak and read Bengali fluently, it's hard to pronounce the really complex words out thereLOL

Exactly, it is really annoying when you're state's name is being tarnished on a reason as trivial as their accent or the way they dress etc.

Well, looking at your siggy, I think you're from AP, which is the only SI state I have never been too, so can't comment about that.
debayon IF-Sizzlerz
debayon
debayon

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Taz-A.Crazy.Fan

HOLY CRAP ur Bengali :O IM BENGALI from kolkata too O_O 

Hi-5!LOL Well, I was born there, but not brought up over there
Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shri kannan

I constantly see Stars performing for south indian songs especially tamil and telugu. But the costumes that they wear are kinda insulting us. Go for Dhoti(men) and half saree (women).

But whats with cheap makeup ,bended braids with pink ribbons,half saree that is 3/4th and the weird expressions ? Do you think that our movies or people in real life wear such things?

I could have taken that its funny if it was done in one show...but the same costume and expressions are repeated in all the dance shows...whenever the song turns out to be a south indian folk...

I am fan of ragini but i felt really bad while seeing the promos and the judges giving her a full on 30 :(

P.S: The word 'you' is directed towards the choreographers and the performers onlySmile

I have stopped watching JDJ so I didn't see Ragini's performance, but I totally get what you're saying!

I agree with you, pink ribbons, such bended braids, half saree THAT IS 3/4.. ROFL  is sooo not typical in south India or southern movies! It's really annoying when they show such stuff.

OK, the south Indians do sound funny with that accent, but not all have the accent, only the natives have the accent! It's funny to a certain extent but this is getting really annyoing now. Sure some songs are loud and gaudy but not sooo loud and freak-ish.

Go to top