Fun of South Indian People :( (Page 5)

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Well
Wikipedia is not a forum to define what a folk dance constitutes
I am south Indian and I know what I am talking about
Dapaankuthu is drunken dancing that happens during funeral processions. THere are no steps as such just weird gyrating moves.

There is no history to the dance which folk has

Folk dances of the south are a different genre. Heard of mayilattam, oyilattam, kavadiattam, kummi, devarattam, karagattam, etc? they are the southern folk dances to my knowledge. Not dapaankuthu

dapaankuthu is as much a folk dance as "bollywood dancing" is.

I dont think ragini did justice to the theme at all

Edited by bandicoot - 27 December 2010 at 1:28pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

vishwapAngel-likeDevilkinara17desicrowdDabulls23

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bandicoot

Well
Dapaankuthu is drunken dancing that happens during funeral processions. THere are no steps as such just weird gyrating moves.

Folk dances of the south are a different genre. Heard of mayilattam, oyilattam, kavadiattam, kummi, devarattam, karagattam, etc? they are the southern folk dances to my knowledge. Not dapaankuthu

While I agree that Wikipedia is not exactly an authoritative source, I think based on your information Dapaankuthu would fulfill the criteria of a folk dance. Folk dance is any dance evolved for social occasions. Traditionally they were not for profession or performance, but more of a form of socialization, celebration etc. Even drunken revelry, or dances evolved from drinking traditions will fulfill criterion of a folk dance. Many Irish jigs or Russian folk dances are also associated with drinking and more of free form. Despite being very free form they have some structural distinguishing elements.

A lot of the dances you mention are religious dance forms. They are somewhat unique in between classical and folk, very unique to South Asia, and South East Asia that have religious dance rituals. They are not traditionally structured like classical dance, but unlike folk which evolves more fluidly - there is a ritualistic structure and expectation to these. However, many religious forms are either sorted as classical or folk depending on traditional structure, training tiers or sociological perspective.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Armu4eva-allizwell-nikitagmcpeachesnplumsDabulls23

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged
Yes religious dances are classified as classical or folk based on the source.
Bharatanatyam itself was abhorred for a while as a "dasi" dance before its revival.

Just curious, would you slot Bollywood dancing or the hindi cinema dancing as "folk" by that criteria

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Dabulls23

Aahaana Global Moderator
Aahaana
Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged

^Caro - DapaanKuthu are not just used on funerals, also weddings and to celebrate victory. Later on it was spread to  all over Tamil Nadu and thanks to Kolly movies, they use it as some mass songStern Smile

But like Hades wrote above its associated with social events so it fall under the criteria for folk dance. 

However, coming back to Raginis performances, it was not a full-packed one cause its always high expectation for nakka mukka and its a fast number and the steps was a little bit slow and repetitive movements but then again..she is new and she did full justice to whatever her choreographer taught her and she was expressive tooThumbs Up  

To topicmaker, it was not cheap costume and make up, they even shows such stuff on south indian dance shows but agreed with you, they show the same repeated dance and costumes in most of the shows when it comes to South Indian folk danceSleepy 

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Armu4eva--Saaki---allizwell-nikitagmcdesicrowdpetticoat

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged
Meli no dance performance ever does justice to naaku mukka ..LOL
That song was a rage even before the movie released. The movie got delayed by some production fiasco and the song was on radio topping all the lists for months. Did u know there was a weird female version of the song as well?

If we adopt that wide of a definition for dapakuthu, I think just about all of us are exponents of the form :P including me..

Anyway one weird aspect is they keep repeating that weird hairstyle- the braided hair that is stiff like a puppy's tail! The last time I think I saw it in a proper south movie was in a 1982 movie-gopurangal saaivathillai with Suhasini Maniratnam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCyOi22SxiY
and it was not even intended to be funny in that movie
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged

Just curious, would you slot Bollywood dancing or the hindi cinema dancing as "folk" by that criteria

No Bollywood does not fall under folk because it really is not a 'genre' of dance at all. It is as much a dance genre as much as pop music is a music genre. Folk dance or music has a regional or ethnic flair to it. There is a sociocultural significance in its evolution. There is a distinct identity to some forms of movement, a social significance, a style of music. Take folk Indian - bhangra, garba or even foreign like swing, troika, etc, you can see that distinctness.

Bollywood is theatricality. It is a hodge podge medley of all sorts of dance forms fused together for theatrical effect, larger than life histrionics and entertainment. There is no regional or ethnic flair. There is the social significance of cinema; but the dance and music really can be any element at any given time from any given influence.

One of my biggest pet peeve with many shows like JDJ - is excessive Bollywood and theatricality instead of proper dance genres and authenticity. Especially when in India itself we have so many dance forms people are unaware of. It is what in Gleekdom would be called Hairograhy - dramatic hair-tossing (and other added drama)—to distract from the fact their singing and dancing ability is limited.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

peachesnplumsnikitagmcYusBeeDabulls23

hide IF-Rockerz
hide
hide

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged

Well

it is better if you clear about what folk dance is.. wiki says

The term folk dancedescribes dances that share some or all of the following attributes:

• They are dances performed at social functions by people with little or no professional training, often to traditional music or music based on traditional music.
  • They are not designed for public performance or the stage, although traditional folkdances may be later arranged and set for stage performances.
  • Their execution is dominated by an inherited tradition rather than by innovation (although like all folk traditions they do evolve)
  • New dancers often learn informally by observing others and/or receiving help from others.

More controversially, some people define folk dancing as dancing for which there is no governing body or dancing for which there are no competitive or professional performances.

Ragini and her choreographer justified their theme .. and got well deserved 30

Edited by lathika4u - 27 December 2010 at 10:50pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

YusBee

petticoat IF-Stunnerz
petticoat
petticoat

Posted: 27 December 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged
^ Again wikipedia is no authority. Anybody can change content.

As for how well they justified it, I disagree. Let us leave it as difference in preferences/opinions

Go to top