Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-crazygirl- thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Actually krystal_watz and I are both correct. The Wikipedia gives the following definition of the word "Tollywood".

Tollywood may refer to either of the following two Indian film industries:

• Cinema of Andhra Pradesh, the Telugu language film industry based in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India.
  • Cinema of West Bengal, Bengali-language film industry based in Tollygunge, a neighborhood of the city of Kolkata in the state of West Bengal, India

There you go. Confusion cleared.πŸ˜ƒ

--Saaki-- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: -crazygirl-

Actually krystal_watz and I are both correct. The Wikipedia gives the following definition of the word "Tollywood".

Tollywood may refer to either of the following two Indian film industries:

Cinema of Andhra Pradesh, the Telugu language film industry based in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India.
  • Cinema of West Bengal, Bengali-language film industry based in Tollygunge, a neighborhood of the city of Kolkata in the state of West Bengal, India

There you go. Confusion cleared.πŸ˜ƒ

Well,AS I know ,"Tollywood" is for Telugu Film Industry.........

Tollygunge which you have mentioned above is just a city & it is nothing related to "Film Industry" dear....................πŸ˜ƒ

-crazygirl- thumbnail
Actually I always thought Tollywood to mean Telugu Film Industry. Which is why I said Ragini and her partner are doing Tollywood (or so they say). But krystal_watz said that it means Bengali Film Industry so I thought I'd been wrong all this while.😳
So I googled Tollywood and came up with this on Wikipedia. That's all I know.
So I'm back to square one. Tollywood IS Telugu Film Industry.πŸ˜›
Phew!πŸ˜†
AlexithyMia thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Yes, Telugu is called Tollywood...n what ragini did ws NOT folk...she got 30 fr going against the theme of the episode? πŸ˜”
-crazygirl- thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ramya-CIDnSSfan

Yes, Telugu is called Tollywood...n what ragini did ws NOT folk...she got 30 fr going against the theme of the episode? πŸ˜”

EXACTLY!!!😑
pesi11 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
i watched the promo... but i couldn't see ragini getting 30.. i think they shown her dancing only..not scoring..
and coming to this song... i do agree with all of u.. always they vl make fun of  south indian songs..  i am from hyderabad..but i didnt realize this isult.... but after reading this post i realized it.. nice post.. and south indian films r not  bad.. we have very decent and good films 😊
Eventide thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ramya-CIDnSSfan

Second that. As far as I know, that is definitely not a folk dance.
Edited by Eventide - 13 years ago
aadri- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: --Saaki--

Well,AS I know ,"Tollywood" is for Telugu Film Industry.........

Tollygunge which you have mentioned above is just a city & it is nothing related to "Film Industry" dear....................πŸ˜ƒ

Bengali film industry based on Tollygaunge is called Tollywood as well...........

Well I have been reading a lot about how ragini's dance isnt a FOLK Dance..so a liitle bit of info on her dance...as per the epi..they did Dappan Koothu..So here's the info of the dance on wikipedia...

Dappan Koothu (Tamil: ?????????????), means dance, is a folk dance and music genre with an emphasis on percussion performed in Tamil Nadu, India.[1] It has become one of the several popular genres employed in the film music: [2] Tamil cinema.[3]

Unlike classical Indian dances such as bharatnatyam or kathakali, koothu is relatively informal

And the info goes on that...

Facial expressions are employed for effect by the dancers. For example, the tongue, folded over and held in position with the front teeth, is brought out at regular intervals

[edit] Outfit and embellishments

Even though any attire can be worn when one dances the Dappaankuthu, a lungi (colourful cloth wrapped around the waist) is commonly worn and most preferable, with the bottom raised and folded upwards over the knees in the middle.

For more info on the dance..u can check the link:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dappan_koothu

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

And you can yourself see that the ORIGINAL song too was shot the same way with the same kinda costumes and all

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwhTmM_QGQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWmdKJ6zNc[/YOUTUBE]

Though I agree with the TM that ppl do make fun of diff sections of society with dance forms..but for me..whatever ragz and Neerav didnt seem stereotypical at all...coz though I am not a South Indian,I have been living in South India for around 12 yrs..and every year in my coll/school..there are dances like this...perfromed the same way..either on Nakka Mukka or RInga RIngaπŸ˜›
Armu4eva thumbnail
@Shounak.... very well said.. πŸ‘ n i remember..something similar being shown in Zara Nachke Dikha..where the girls team....performed .....in th similar hairstyle...and dance steps..with Randak Randak in bg πŸ˜Š

However its sad that all cultures get stereotyped in bollywood ...
Edited by Armu4eva - 13 years ago