India-Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars
Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

Fun of South Indian People :( (Page 2)

nycsweetie IF-Sizzlerz
nycsweetie
nycsweetie

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged
there are stereotypes for every religion/race/ culture....south indians, sikhs, gujrattis, parsis...its terrible but what can we do about it Confused

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tamushikinara17

kinara17 IF-Sizzlerz
kinara17
kinara17

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dabulls23

Originally posted by Kinara2

I am not a south indian...but really i have observed this stupidity  in movies,all soaps...and i felt and i feel very bad ab8 this issue..this is like an insulting..i know so many south indian people..they r very intelligent,kind,educated,smart  etc kind of ppl ..but why this kind of national television make fun of them?they do with bangali ppl too  and same thing they do with sikh ppl as well as..always they make fun of them...it should not be like that...over here in usa in most of the computer industry  south indian,sikhs r the best employees...as well as bangalis too..bcoz of their smartness,full of kindness,devotion for the work..and definitely for their polite behavior and attitude  but all those so called media they will never try to realize  this...neither TV nor film industry...this is a shame...every thing should be in a limit beyond the limit ..its a disrespectful ...Disapprove

Hey Big smile lets not forget TV serials making money off  of Gujju accent...We don't sound or act that stupid...I am sick watching that silly Dayaben over acting her gujju ishtyle...Grrrrr AngryDead

Stereotype is done to most and that happens even in US...I guess part of life Embarrassed
LOLab8 gujju!!!Varsha i dont have anything to say LOLWinkbut i must say they r one of the best  business minded ppl i have ever seen ...but  nothing is too much entertaining when it is excessive..but yes i agree with u its a part of life but still CV should have their limit..of making funWink  usa tv channels they do this kind of things too but always has a decent boundary...SmileSmile

Edited by Kinara2 - 26 December 2010 at 1:42pm

aasudha2004Dabulls23

desicrowd IF-Sizzlerz
desicrowd
desicrowd

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 2:00pm | IP Logged
I think this stereotype if for all regions...Punjabis are shown loud mouth, Gujjus are shown with a weird accent, all Marathi women are shown as Kamwaali Bai's, all Nepali's are gorkhas, and our Nagaland countrymen are spoken to as if they are Chinese and not Indian......I do agree that it gets on one's nerves cos there is more to show of the culture than just this slapstick style comedy...but I do believe that this happens with all regions and not just one...

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

jeffmishEventidepari2386rayjstChirkutZindagiblytonbsingapuryAngel-likeDevilpetticoatDabulls23Meena1

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged
Stereotypes are a part of human nature. They occur everywhere.

Usually, I've never felt too bothered by stereotypes. Unless the person stereotyping is actually being racist or demeaning, I'm fine with stereotypes for entertainment or humor. I like the kinds of Peter Chao or Sarah Silverman who embrace their own culture stereotypes.

I understand though why people feel let down by such television shows. We expect the family shows to promote diversity and culture - not ignorance. Unfortunately, there is no cure for ignorance.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

tamushiChirkutZindagiblytondesicrowdkinara17Dabulls23Meena1

Its_Sash Goldie
Its_Sash
Its_Sash

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
I absolutely agree with this topic!

I am a bengali and it drives me crazy when I see people in the national TV wearing white red bordered sarees and painting their finger tips red... always speaking of  "machher jhol"Angry

I literally hated the movie called "Devdas" because of its melodramatic, forcible intrusion of Bengali culture. Angry

A comedy act is ok.... but when you are making a sensible film or serials having strong bengali backdrop....this type of nonsense is really irritating.Ouch

I also hate the way how the national TV make fun of sardarji'sConfused

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

EventideNirjhor105blytonkinara17desicrowdkrystal_watzDabulls23

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged
I know what you're talking about.

Im a Bengali too, and like Sash said above, its really ridiculous and DEMEANING to say the least, to watch some gay-looking kohl-eyed "Bengali" Babus behaving in a smart-aleck manner. And the women wearing sarees that look right out of the 19th century.
And the accent...the less said about it, the better.Dead

Nirjhor105Its_Sash

-crazygirl- Groupbie
-crazygirl-
-crazygirl-

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged
I completely agree with you...I'm not South Indian but making fun of a culture is unacceptable. There's so much to be explored about the South Indian culture rather than emulating the same old stupid costumes and choreography that's been repeated to death in all Indian dance reality showsThumbs Down.
Moreover, the theme for this week is supposed to be "folk dance".
Well, I'm sorry but there is definitely nothing "folk"  about the performance they are doing. Tollywood is not a form of folk dance.Confused

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

nikitagmc

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -crazygirl-

I completely agree with you...I'm not South Indian but making fun of a culture is unacceptable. There's so much to be explored about the South Indian culture rather than emulating the same old stupid costumes and choreography that's been repeated to death in all Indian dance reality showsThumbs Down.
Moreover, the theme for this week is supposed to be "folk dance".
Well, I'm sorry but there is definitely nothing "folk"  about the performance they are doing. Tollywood is not a form of folk dance.Confused

Correction. Tollywood is the Bengali film industry,LOL

Yeah, i dont watch JDJ regularly but i did see the episode last week. A little fun is acceptable but overdoing it should be a strict no-no.

Go to top