Posted: 13 years ago
I think this stereotype if for all regions...Punjabis are shown loud mouth, Gujjus are shown with a weird accent, all Marathi women are shown as Kamwaali Bai's, all Nepali's are gorkhas, and our Nagaland countrymen are spoken to as if they are Chinese and not Indian......I do agree that it gets on one's nerves cos there is more to show of the culture than just this slapstick style comedy...but I do believe that this happens with all regions and not just one...
Stereotypes are a part of human nature. They occur everywhere.

Usually, I've never felt too bothered by stereotypes. Unless the person stereotyping is actually being racist or demeaning, I'm fine with stereotypes for entertainment or humor. I like the kinds of Peter Chao or Sarah Silverman who embrace their own culture stereotypes.

I understand though why people feel let down by such television shows. We expect the family shows to promote diversity and culture - not ignorance. Unfortunately, there is no cure for ignorance.
I absolutely agree with this topic!

I am a bengali and it drives me crazy when I see people in the national TV wearing white red bordered sarees and painting their finger tips red... always speaking of  "machher jhol"😡

I literally hated the movie called "Devdas" because of its melodramatic, forcible intrusion of Bengali culture. 😡

A comedy act is ok.... but when you are making a sensible film or serials having strong bengali backdrop....this type of nonsense is really irritating.

I also hate the way how the national TV make fun of sardarji's😕
I know what you're talking about.

Im a Bengali too, and like Sash said above, its really ridiculous and DEMEANING to say the least, to watch some gay-looking kohl-eyed "Bengali" Babus behaving in a smart-aleck manner. And the women wearing sarees that look right out of the 19th century.
And the accent...the less said about it, the better.🤢
I completely agree with you...I'm not South Indian but making fun of a culture is unacceptable. There's so much to be explored about the South Indian culture rather than emulating the same old stupid costumes and choreography that's been repeated to death in all Indian dance reality shows👎🏼.
Moreover, the theme for this week is supposed to be "folk dance".
Well, I'm sorry but there is definitely nothing "folk"  about the performance they are doing. Tollywood is not a form of folk dance.😕
Originally posted by -crazygirl-

I completely agree with you...I'm not South Indian but making fun of a culture is unacceptable. There's so much to be explored about the South Indian culture rather than emulating the same old stupid costumes and choreography that's been repeated to death in all Indian dance reality shows👎🏼.
Moreover, the theme for this week is supposed to be "folk dance".
Well, I'm sorry but there is definitely nothing "folk"  about the performance they are doing. Tollywood is not a form of folk dance.😕

Correction. Tollywood is the Bengali film industry,😆

Yeah, i dont watch JDJ regularly but i did see the episode last week. A little fun is acceptable but overdoing it should be a strict no-no.
Originally posted by krystal_watz

Correction. Tollywood is the Bengali film industry,😆

Yeah, i dont watch JDJ regularly but i did see the episode last week. A little fun is acceptable but overdoing it should be a strict no-no.
Oops, really? Hehe.  See that just proves how confused we Indians are about our cultures.
But you do agree, from whatever we've seen of her performaance in the promos and her costume that it's NOT "folk", per se.
It's annoying that while others are working so hard to dig up cultural dances from the corners of our country, they choose to dance on something that's so cliched. Disappointing.
Hey, but if you check the latest JDJ Tellybuzz article it says, and I quote,
"Ragini Khanna, who has been giving average performances so far got her first 30 this week; her folk on a Tollywood number gave her the Best Performer of the Day Award"
😕I'm confused. You sure it's the Bengali film industry?
Yeah........

Well,I was just being silent reader out here........
Could not resist myself commenting to this topic........
Seriously yaar,they do create some "False Impression" about South-Indian costumes & makeup.........

Dont they  know,its "Tamil Film Industry" or "Kollywood" which is famous than Bollywood........
They do produce such a lovely movies.........their dress & music sense is much more modernised than Bolly's................
If thye think we south-Indian just have this kind of hair-styles & make-ups(as shown in the show),then they have to watch.......films like

"Enthiran","Shivaji","Don"(not the bollyoowd one,its  Tamils's Ajit has done it),"Boys"......the technologies,make-ups,locations,Dance,Music & the creativity hidden in that.............
Then definitely they will know what we South-Indians are really like.......
One "Folk & Mirchi Dance" wont give you the picture of "South-India".......WE South - Indians have many much more descent & adventurous Dance-Forms as well.................Which are dignified & as well as entertaining....Why dont these people try those .They just stick to one "Tapori Dance" & say South-Indian dances are like that......Thats really foolish............😕

I really hope seeing just one "Dance " ,people wont decide the Style & Living of we South-Indians.......................
Edited by --Saaki-- - 13 years ago
Originally posted by -crazygirl-

Hey, but if you check the latest JDJ Tellybuzz article it says, and I quote,
"Ragini Khanna, who has been giving average performances so far got her first 30 this week; her folk on a Tollywood number gave her the Best Performer of the Day Award"
😕I'm confused. You sure it's the Bengali film industry?

AS per as I know,"Tollywood" is "Telugu Film Industry"

"Kollywood" is for Tamil.........

"Sandlewood" for Kannada...........

"Bollywood" is for whole "Indian Film Industry".................😊