India-Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars
Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 - Dancing with the Stars

Fun of South Indian People :(

shri kannan Senior Member
shri kannan
shri kannan

Posted: 25 December 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged
I constantly see Stars performing for south indian songs especially tamil and telugu. But the costumes that they wear are kinda insulting us. Go for Dhoti(men) and half saree (women).

But whats with cheap makeup ,bended braids with pink ribbons,half saree that is 3/4th and the weird expressions ? Do you think that our movies or people in real life wear such things?

I could have taken that its funny if it was done in one show...but the same costume and expressions are repeated in all the dance shows...whenever the song turns out to be a south indian folk...

I am fan of ragini but i felt really bad while seeing the promos and the judges giving her a full on 30 :(

P.S: The word 'you' is directed towards the choreographers and the performers onlySmile

The following 14 member(s) liked the above post:

singh008vishwaprayjstzerry123tamushiAnn_92--Saaki--LuvSSeverDriftInfinitelyShayarikinu17RagMastaAngel-likeDevilTheRager

HalkatJawaniJay IF-Dazzler
HalkatJawaniJay
HalkatJawaniJay

Posted: 25 December 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged
Haven't seen the promo yet, so can't say anything about Ragini but yes I have seen this stereotype not only for South Indians but also for North Indians it's not only dance but in other aspects too... For the life of me I haven't figured out why are still stuck with stereotypes from 80's??

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

jeffmishtamushi

shri kannan Senior Member
shri kannan
shri kannan

Posted: 25 December 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
@kajolj: Yes .. I agree ..The fist impression remains unchanged still.Like, Here in chennai, all north indians are 'Marvadis' (mostly!!)
and there in North india , all south indians are 'Madrasis' !!

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

jeffmishAnn_92LuvSSevernascoBelleFemmeDriftInfinitelyAngel-likeDevilDabulls23

Sphallolalia Goldie
Sphallolalia
Sphallolalia

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged
I agree with Shri Kannan, very valid pointThumbs Up

I am not south Indian but a huge fan of Tamil films. It's a shame that the weird expressions/caricatures are repeated in literally every show/season. 

Ironically, its the not so great dancers who perform well on them, remember Composer Anand Raj Anand in a previous season? and now RaginiConfused

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kinu17

Girl-Lawsworth IF-Dazzler
Girl-Lawsworth
Girl-Lawsworth

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 7:03am | IP Logged
its not just Tamil or telugu yaar...its for all the south Indians. not only in JDJ but I hav seen in many Bolly movies n other TV showz. South Indians r shown as silly stupid ppl...even i am a south Indian, n I too feel what u feel. its not fair 2 make fun of ppl. Unhappy They sometimes forget that even South indian ppl have contributed to Bollywood n d north (No Offense to anyone here) Thumbs Down

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

telly_swatsrayjstSphallolaliaAbhiAnikinu17Angel-likeDevil

kinu17 IF-Sizzlerz
kinu17
kinu17

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged
I am not a south indian...but really i have observed this stupidity  in movies,all soaps...and i felt and i feel very bad ab8 this issue..this is like an insulting..i know so many south indian people..they r very intelligent,kind,educated,smart  etc kind of ppl ..but why this kind of national television make fun of them?they do with bangali ppl too  and same thing they do with sikh ppl as well as..always they make fun of them...it should not be like that...over here in usa in most of the computer industry  south indian,sikhs r the best employees...as well as bangalis too..bcoz of their smartness,full of kindness,devotion for the work..and definitely for their polite behavior and attitude  but all those so called media they will never try to realize  this...neither TV nor film industry...this is a shame...every thing should be in a limit beyond the limit ..its a disrespectful ...Disapprove

Edited by Kinara2 - 26 December 2010 at 10:56am

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

MayapapayarayjstjeffmishSphallolaliatamushishanak.hotLuvSSeverGirl-Lawsworthnycsweetie

Eventide Senior Member
Eventide
Eventide

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged
The entertainment industry is full of stereotypes. Its not just the south Indians. Punjabis (esp. Sikhs) are always projected as boisterous loud-mouths. Parsis as cranky misers.

Edited by Eventide - 26 December 2010 at 11:01am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

rayjstArmu4evaNirjhor105bbbcccblytonnycsweetieYusBee-Gaganjot-

Dabulls23 IF-Stunnerz
Dabulls23
Dabulls23

Posted: 26 December 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kinara2

I am not a south indian...but really i have observed this stupidity  in movies,all soaps...and i felt and i feel very bad ab8 this issue..this is like an insulting..i know so many south indian people..they r very intelligent,kind,educated,smart  etc kind of ppl ..but why this kind of national television make fun of them?they do with bangali ppl too  and same thing they do with sikh ppl as well as..always they make fun of them...it should not be like that...over here in usa in most of the computer industry  south indian,sikhs r the best employees...as well as bangalis too..bcoz of their smartness,full of kindness,devotion for the work..and definitely for their polite behavior and attitude  but all those so called media they will never try to realize  this...neither TV nor film industry...this is a shame...every thing should be in a limit beyond the limit ..its a disrespectful ...Disapprove

Hey Big smile lets not forget TV serials making money off  of Gujju accent...We don't sound or act that stupid...I am sick watching that silly Dayaben over acting her gujju ishtyle...Grrrrr AngryDead

Stereotype is done to most and that happens even in US...I guess part of life Embarrassed

The following 17 member(s) liked the above post:

alita0Eventidejeffmishpari2386rayjstArmu4evaSphallolaliatamushiHeartEmWatsonLuvSSeverbbbcccChirkutZindagiblytonbsingapuryTani91nycsweetieAngel-likeDevil

Go to top