Posted: 13 years ago

Kareena Kapoor Fsj's Woman Of The Year

Did Kareena agree with the objective analysis that placed her as the Woman Of The Year?

This was not a moment for unsuitable modesty. And she obliged.

"I'd be lying if I said 'no'. And I don't want to lie," she grinned. "It's my moment and I want everybody to be a part of it, be there with me and enjoy it.

I want even my contemporaries to enjoy this moment for me. Their time will come too. If they deserve it, they'll get it. Even if it doesn't, I'd say, share in this with me.

I've applauded a lot of other people for their work and I have worked really hard to be in this position. I've done different kinds of roles to keep proving myself time and again, time and again. Like I said, I don't want to be modest about it. I want people to enjoy my moment with me and say, she deserved it.
Golmaal was my film and I was projected like a hero. It is my moment and people should be there with me. Success for me has always been all about doing different kinds of roles."

She was aware of intense competition from Aishwarya Rai who was in the running all year threatening to catch up and outrun her.

"She's respected highly as a woman also, apart from all her other achievements," Bebo granted her rival. "But we've never really been in the same kind of zone, she's from a different generation.

I'm 30 now, she's practically seven or eight years older than me. She was working in Karisma's time. So it would be unfair to even compare us though I would definitely say that she is a great achiever in her own right."

For Kareena Kapoor, a title like Woman Of The Year is a gratifying acknowledgement of all that she has slogged for; she swot over her career all these years precisely for this kind of recognition.

But did she ever see herself in this slot where she'd be calling the shots?

"I always knew that this was the position I wanted to be in," she was frank as ever. No bleating, I'm an actor by chance, a familiar sound from most others in the industry.

On the contrary, Kareena emphasised, "This position toh, I was not willing to give up for anything at all. I had so many flops but I kept going, I was never willing to give up. I have a fighter's personality."

Fight, she did. It was evident in 2010 when she had to combat Kajol who is considered a benchmark in acting. In We Are Family, Kareena not only stood up to her but also pulled off the other woman role without once slipping into vamp territory.

"It was a difficult role," she reflected and said without diplomacy, "The other role (Kajol's) was just a tear-jerker, an easy kind of role. To be the other woman in India and that too, in Hindi cinema is very tough. It was difficult but I caught the right sur right from the first day itself."

And then it didn't do well. Does failure send you into a depression?

"Now I'm used to it," she shrugged. "All actors have flops and if you don't have flops you can't enjoy a successful phase like this. I am so hardworking, I've been working since I was 18. I take a flop in my stride aschalo, when success comes, it will be that much sweeter."

How does it feel to be Woman Of The Year?

"I think I'd put it down to only my talent," she said, mulling over it like she was tasting vintage wine. "It's something I've always guarded like a possessive child.

I've always said that I'm here only to sell my talent, not my soul. And that's why today you can call me the Woman Of The Year. In this profession, looking good is of course important but ultimately you have to start acting at some point. Otherwise everything will start crumbling in front of you.

I know that. That's why right from Refugee to Golmaal 3, I've said that this is my weapon, my talent is my AK 47. Isko sambhalo, baki sab ko chhod do. I have gone at it single-mindedly.
I wanted to do good roles and I wanted to prove to the world that whether the film runs or not I can act, I am a good actor."

Why was it such a challenge?

"I think coming from the Kapoor family is such a pressure," she pondered aloud. "People expect so much from you. Let's put it like this.

I've never been the underdog which is sad because people applaud the underdog much more than the privileged. Like Ranbir has so much more pressure.

The pressure on him is so much to live up to the Kapoor name and to his parents' name. So you've got to go after it single-mindedly. And I've been very ambitious. I don't talk about it but everyone who knows me knows how very career-oriented I am."

Do you continue to be so fiercely ambitious even after coming this far?

"No, maybe not so completely career-oriented because I have reached a position where I am very happy. Also because I am happy in my relationship.
That too, keeps me going. And I also have a life. I've had a life for the last five-six years. I've always been conscious of the fact that I must have a private life of my own. I've always been an actress who has balanced both worlds and everyone knows it.

I respect people who don't talk about their relationships but I'm not a 'degrading actress' who says, don't talk about my link-ups or my relationships. If I'm in a relationship, I'm celebrating love and I want to be open about it. I want him to respect me and if I'm not open about it, he's not going to respect me.

I want him to give me respect in front of his family, his friends. And if I don't do that, he's not going to either. Love is about celebrating, ya."

Fortunately, Kareena belongs to a time when acknowledging a relationship is not held against an actress.

"In fact it saves you from being linked to 5,000 other actors," she put it succinctly. "I'd rather be linked with one man at a time than be linked with 101 actors and have to go around town denying all of them. That's not me."

But would Kareena have been this open about celebrating her love 10 years ago?

Because her sis Karisma whom she followed, was renowned for being very secretive.

"Lolo is very guarded till today. She's guarded even with our parents," she remarked spontaneously. "Lolo and I are like chalk and cheese.

She loves me for what I am and I love her for being so poised, elegant and for being so graceful in whatever she's done in her career and life.

There is a different kind of grace in me which is something more honest, something more vivacious. I'm more upfront. That's why my parents say, we have two girls who are completely different. I guess two achievers can't really be the same when they're living in the same house."

One thought you were so close, you'd completely follow in her footsteps. But you haven't.
"No, we have our own personalities, do different kinds of films. Even if we were to do an interview together, we'd come out as two completely different people for the reader.

"But I've also watched and learnt from her. I've picked up things from my parents also. Lolo has been a very strong influence in my life.

Like she was so ambitious, so dedicated. A lot of her influences have played a part in my being the Woman Of The Year. I'd give 60 per cent credit to my sister."

It's taken Kareena Kapoor 10 years to reach this place at the peak. But she's been so engrossed in the climb that she hasn't ever paused to count the years.

Born to act, you always say. But also born to act forever?
"I want to act forever," she gushed. "I want to do good work and roles that suits me. Marriage is of course a thought."

Do you really believe that marriage will harm your career?

"I do believe that marriage is taboo in Bollywood, let's face it ya. We're talking rubbish when we say it's not. It is taboo. There are people still working after marriage of course, but it is not the same.

I want to celebrate my love. And when I get married,dhoom dhaam se hogi yaar. I'm not interested in getting married secretly in a small place, I want the full tamasha.

I would want my parents there of course. I would want to get married properly, not have a secret marriage. I don't think Saifu would want to do that once again. I won't allow him to do that, I'd be like, no Saifu!"

This Woman Of The Year is also the Globe-trotter Of 2010. From Jan to Dec, Kareena has traversed the earth: London for Ra.One; Goa, Hyderabad for Golmaal; Latvia and Morocco for Agent Vinod; Malaysia and Singapore for commercials; Las Vegas for Short Term Shaadi; Paris for her birthday; Switzerland for Saif's birthday and Gstaad, Switzerland again to ring in the New Year.
"I go to Switzerland twice a year," she happily shared the info. "I disconnect from everyone, I don't
take calls, I even change my number for 15 days."

L'officiel magazine has been trying all year to get Karisma and Kareena together for a cover shoot in London for Louis Vuitton. Kareena couldn't fit that trip into 2010, it'll probably happen early 2011. Along with a row of films costarring all the five major Khans of the film industry.

"I'm always going to give my career my best," she promised.

Right now you wouldn't give it up for marriage?
"Not right now."

Next year this time will you be saying the same thing?
"No, I can't say that because the truth is, I definitely do think of marriage. I'd be lying if I didn't say that!"

Forthright, as always.

Posted on 25 Dec 2010

Edited by desigal90 - 13 years ago

Kareena Kapoor Fsj's Woman Of The Year

December 25, 2010 by FSJ 

If there's one thing Kareena Kapoor likes to do to her face even when it's free of makeup, it is to outline her eyes, above and below, in stark, dark black.

She sat across the table with kohl-lined eyes, hair tied back, face fresh.

And she looked pleased at the results of FSJ's extensively analysed search for the Woman Of The Year.

Kareena won the crown because:

First, the competition. Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra, Bipasha Basu, Lara Dutta, Deepika Padukone, Vidya Balan.

Can anyone dispute the fact that the high profile endorser and the only female hero of Golmaal 3 had a far superior score than any of the others on all fronts in 2010?

The only leading lady who ran neck-to-neck with Kareena Kapoor all through 2010 was Aishwarya Rai with four noisy releases while Kareena had only two.

"I want people to enjoy my moment with me and say, she deserved it"

So, why didn't the title of Woman Of The Year go to Aishwarya?

Because out of her four big releases, three commercial thuds, RaavanAction Replayy and Guzaarish, gave Aishwarya a lame success score of 25 per cent.

Also, it is more or less accepted that Aishwarya Rai's only box-office triumph was Robot which was an out-and-out salute to Rajnikant's star power.

Substitute Aishwarya with an unknown Shreya Saran (who participated in the Chennai star's last big outing,Shivaji) and it would still have breasted all records as it is Rajni alone who powers the engine.

Kareena, with one dismal failure (We Are Family) and one thumping hit (Golmaal 3), picked up a better average of 50 per cent.

"We've never really been in the same kind of zone, Aishwarya is from a different generation. I'm 30 now, she's practically seven or eight years older than me. She was working in Karisma's time"

Secondly, even if We Are Family failed, the range displayed by Bebo was impressive in 2010. Plus, unlike Aishwarya who came in for some flak for her performances in Raavan and Action Replayy, Kareena was thumped on the back for being one of the boys in Golmaal 3, in contrast to the giving other woman of We Are Family.

Thirdly, after a deluge of releases that really did nothing to take her further, there have been no formal announcements of any films starring Aishwarya.

It's almost as if she's seeking voluntary retirement for the moment. Yes, there are subjects being developed, an interesting, motley bunch of films with Rajiv Menon (costarring SRK), Vishal Bhardwaj and Rituparno Ghosh.

But they are all at the whisper stage with nothing officially  concretized.

In contrast, Kareena follows 2010 with an even more impressive 2011 – there are films with all the top-selling Khans, with all five of them.

"The other role (Kajol's) was just a tear jerker, an easy kind of role. To be the other woman in India and that too, in Hindi cinema is very tough. But I caught the right sur right from the first day itself"

The nearly '120 crore Ra.One (with SRK), Bodyguard (with Salman Khan), Reema Kagti's untitled film (with Aamir Khan), Agent Vinod (with Saif Ali Khan) and Short Term Shaadi (with Imran Khan). They are all slated for 2011, like a Kareena festival playing in the cinema halls all year round.

And finally, the clinching factor: the price. Kareena in 2010 bagged the highest fee paid to any heroine when she wouldn't do Golmaal 3 for anything less than '5 crore. She got that coveted fee.

Aishwarya went home with a smaller cheque for even a costly film like Robot while unconfirmed rumours put her Guzaarish fee around the '5 crore figure. All other actresses ranged from '50 lakh to a maximum of '2 crore, way, way, behind Kareena.

"This is my weapon, my talent is my AK 47"

Ms Kapoor also had the maximum endorsements in her kitty – 13 products, all signed at a high of '5 to 7 crore.  Other celebrities have signed up to endorse even the best of brands for barely '2 crore.

Did Kareena agree with the objective analysis that placed her as the Woman Of The Year?

This was not a moment for unsuitable modesty. And she obliged.

"I'd be lying if I said 'no'. And I don't want to lie," she grinned. "It's my moment and I want everybody to be a part of it, be there with me and enjoy it.

I want even my contemporaries to enjoy this moment for me. Their time will come too. If they deserve it, they'll get it. Even if it doesn't, I'd say, share in this with me.

I've applauded a lot of other people for their work and I have worked really hard to be in this position. I've done different kinds of roles to keep proving myself time and again, time and again. Like I said, I don't want to be modest about it. I want people to enjoy my moment with me and say, she deserved it.

"I've never been the underdog which is sad because people applaud the underdog much more than the privileged"

Golmaal was my film and I was projected like a hero. It is my moment and people should be there with me. Success for me has always been all about doing different kinds of roles."

She was aware of intense competition from Aishwarya Rai who was in the running all year threatening to catch up and outrun her.

"She's respected highly as a woman also, apart from all her other achievements," Bebo granted her rival. "But we've never really been in the same kind of zone, she's from a different generation.

I'm 30 now, she's practically seven or eight years older than me. She was working in Karisma's time. So it would be unfair to even compare us though I would definitely say that she is a great achiever in her own right."

"If I'm in a relationship, I'm celebrating love and I want to be open about it"

For Kareena Kapoor, a title like Woman Of The Year is a gratifying acknowledgement of all that she has slogged for; she  swot over her career all these years precisely for this kind of recognition.

But did she ever see herself in this slot where she'd be calling the shots?

"I always knew that this was the position I wanted to be in," she was frank as ever. No bleating, I'm an actor by chance, a familiar sound from most others in the industry.

On the contrary, Kareena emphasised, "This position toh, I was not willing to give up for anything at all. I had so many flops but I kept going, I was never willing to give up. I have a fighter's personality."

Fight, she did. It was evident in 2010 when she had to combat Kajol who is considered a benchmark in acting. In We Are Family, Kareena not only stood up to her but also pulled off the other woman role without once slipping into vamp territory.

"I've been very ambitious. I don't talk about it but everyone who knows me knows how very career-oriented I am"

"It was a difficult role," she reflected and said without diplomacy, "The other role (Kajol's) was just a tear-jerker, an easy kind of role. To be the other woman in India and that too, in Hindi cinema is very tough. It was difficult but I caught the right sur right from the first day itself."

And then it didn't do well. Does failure send you into a depression?

"Now I'm used to it," she shrugged. "All actors have flops and if you don't have flops you can't enjoy a successful phase like this. I am so hardworking, I've been working since I was 18. I take a flop in my stride aschalo, when success comes, it will be that much sweeter."

"Lolo is very guarded till today. She's guarded even with our parents. Lolo and I are like chalk and cheese"

How does it feel to be Woman Of The Year?

"I think I'd put it down to only my talent," she said, mulling over it like she was tasting vintage wine. "It's something I've always guarded like a possessive child.

I've always said that I'm here only to sell my talent, not my soul. And that's why today you can call me the Woman Of The Year. In this profession, looking good is of course important but ultimately you have to start acting at some point. Otherwise everything will start crumbling in front of you.

I know that. That's why right from Refugee to Golmaal 3, I've said that this is my weapon, my talent is my AK 47. Isko sambhalo, baki sab ko chhod do. I have gone at it single-mindedly.

"I'd rather be linked with one man at a time than be linked with 101 actors"

I wanted to do good roles and I wanted to prove to the world that whether the film runs or not I can act, I am a good actor."

Why was it such a challenge?

"I think coming from the Kapoor family is such a pressure," she pondered aloud. "People expect so much from you. Let's put it like this.

I've never been the underdog which is sad because people applaud the underdog much more than the privileged. Like Ranbir has so much more pressure.

The pressure on him is so much to live up to the Kapoor name and to his parents' name. So you've got to go after it single-mindedly. And I've been very ambitious. I don't talk about it but everyone who knows me knows how very career-oriented I am."

Do you continue to be so fiercely ambitious even after coming this far?

"No, maybe not so completely career-oriented because I have reached a position where I am very happy. Also because I am happy in my relationship.

"Next year this time I won't be in the same space. I definitely think of marriage"

That too, keeps me going. And I also have a life. I've had a life for the last five-six years. I've always been conscious of the fact that I must have a private life of my own. I've always been an actress who has balanced both worlds and everyone knows it.

I respect people who don't talk about their relationships but I'm not a 'degrading actress' who says, don't talk about my link-ups or my relationships. If I'm in a relationship, I'm celebrating love and I want to be open about it. I want him to respect me and if I'm not open about it, he's not going to respect me.

I want him to give me respect in front of his family, his friends. And if I don't do that, he's not going to either. Love is about celebrating, ya."

Fortunately, Kareena belongs to a time when acknowledging a relationship is not held against an actress.

"In fact it saves you from being linked to 5,000 other actors," she put it succinctly. "I'd rather be linked with one man at a time than be linked with 101 actors and have to go around town denying all of them. That's not me."

But would Kareena have been this open about celebrating her love 10 years ago?

Because her sis Karisma whom she followed, was renowned for being very secretive.

"Lolo is very guarded till today. She's guarded even with our parents," she remarked spontaneously. "Lolo and I are like chalk and cheese.

She loves me for what I am and I love her for being so poised, elegant and for being so graceful in whatever she's done in her career and life.

There is a different kind of grace in me which is something more honest, something more vivacious. I'm more upfront. That's why my parents say, we have two girls who are completely different. I guess two achievers can't really be the same when they're living in the same house."

"Lolo was so ambitious, so dedicated. A lot of her influences have played a part in my being the Woman Of The Year. I'd give 60 per cent credit to my sister"

One thought you were so close, you'd completely follow in her footsteps. But you haven't.

"No, we have our own personalities, do different kinds of films. Even if we were to do an interview together, we'd come out as two completely different people for the reader.

"But I've also watched and learnt from her. I've picked up things from my parents also. Lolo has been a very strong influence in my life.

Like she was so ambitious, so dedicated. A lot of her influences  have played a part in my being the Woman Of The Year. I'd give 60 per cent credit to my sister."

It's taken Kareena Kapoor 10 years to reach this place at the peak. But she's been so engrossed in the climb that she hasn't ever paused to count the years.

Born to act, you always say. But also born to act forever?

"I want to act forever," she gushed. "I want to do good work and roles that suits me. Marriage is of course a thought."

Do you really believe that marriage will harm your career?

"I do believe that marriage is taboo in Bollywood, let's face it ya. We're talking rubbish when we say it's not. It is taboo. There are people still working after marriage of course, but it is not the same.

I want to celebrate my love. And when I get married,dhoom dhaam se hogi yaar. I'm not interested in getting married secretly in a small place, I want the full tamasha.

I would want my parents there of course. I would want to get married properly, not have a secret marriage. I don't think Saifu would want to do that once again. I won't allow him to do that, I'd be like, no Saifu!"

This Woman Of The Year is also the Globe-trotter Of 2010. From Jan to Dec, Kareena has traversed the earth: London for Ra.One; Goa, Hyderabad for Golmaal; Latvia and Morocco for Agent Vinod; Malaysia and Singapore for commercials; Las Vegas for Short Term Shaadi; Paris for her birthday; Switzerland for Saif's birthday and Gstaad, Switzerland again to ring in the New Year.

"When I get married, dhoom dhaam se hogi yaar"

"I go to Switzerland twice a year," she happily shared the info. "I disconnect from everyone, I don't 
take calls, I even change my number for 15 days."

L'officiel magazine has been trying all year to get Karisma and Kareena together for a cover shoot in London for Louis Vuitton. Kareena couldn't fit that trip into 2010, it'll probably happen early 2011. Along with a row of films costarring all the five major Khans of the film industry.

"I'm always going to give my career my best," she promised.

Right now you wouldn't give it up for marriage?

"Not right now."

Next year this time will you be saying the same thing?

"No, I can't say that because the truth is, I definitely do think of marriage. I'd be lying if I didn't say that!"

Forthright, as always.

Podcast powered by podPress v8.8.8.4
Originally posted by sapnon_ki_pari

"If I'm in a relationship, I'm celebrating love and I want to be open about it"

I agree! If someone is hiding their relationship, they want to flirt with all their co stars. I think so.

Edited by sheee - 13 years ago
My comments are coming in the quote box, even though I know a little bit html, and posted out side (quote/). 
Pari how'd you do that???
Oh yeah...haha! ok i get it!
Originally posted by sheee

My comments are coming in the quote box, even though I know a little bit html, and posted out side (quote/). 
That happens to me too sometimes.

okay, then we have to live with this.

ugh.the world doesn't revolve around u n ur not the only working hard.get over urself.
Coz she said tear jerker roles are easy Pavi?
This is not something she just said. Years ago when asked, even then she used to say tear jerkers are easy for her.

OMG Ash is 9 yrs older than Bebo?:O ..What does she mean by generation gap? Ash started her bolly career in 97 right? Kareena in 2000..is it such a huge differenc? then she n pri are also from diff gen i suppose lol ..I dnt even like Ash but found this comment weird

About Kadz role hmm ok cuz even i didnt think much of tht character..Dunno why she did WAF? ughh dissapointed as a Kajol fan

Anyway congrats 2 her,among nominees I like her best!!

Edited by kattyluv - 13 years ago