India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Race row over fashion bible Elle's - Aishwarya Rai

Neha435 IF-Dazzler
Neha435
Neha435

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged

Race row over fashion bible Elle's cover shoot after Bollywod actress' skin is 'whitened'

By Simon Cable
Last updated at 10:30 PM on 23rd December 2010

Beyond the pale? Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on Elle's cover

Beyond the pale? Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on Elle's cover

Elle magazine has stumbled into a race row after allegedly whitening the skin of a Bollywood actress on its cover.

Readers reacted with fury after it was suggested that the fashion magazine might have digitally 'bleached' the complexion of Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, a former Miss World who has also starred in Bride & Prejudice and The Pink Panther 2.

The 37-year-old appears on the cover of this month's Indian edition of the magazine. However, her skin appears to be several shades lighter than her normal colour.

Inside the magazine, she is again pictured in a series of shots, all showing her with
pale skin.

It is not the first time that Elle has been attacked for appearing to lighten the skin of its non-white models.

In September this year, black actress Gabourey Sidibe appeared on the cover of the U.S. magazine with a much paler complexion. On that occasion Elle claimed it had not altered the Precious star's skin any more than that of the other models photographed alongside her.

Fans have been posting angry comments online about the latest cover, with one saying: 'It's annoying because it seems like lighter skin is always in fashion as if darker skin is something to be frowned upon.'

Skin lightening is a controversial issue in India and those with a lighter complexion are often perceived to be more successful and wealthy. Skin-lightening products aimed at young men and women now form a multi-million-pound industry.

Yesterday, spokesmen for Mrs Bachchan and Elle were unavailable for comment.

True beauty: The actress pictured in a more natural light

True beauty: The actress pictured in a more natural light

Bollywood star: Aishwarya Rai shares an intimate moment with her husband, Abhishek for this year's film, Raavan

Bollywood star: Aishwarya Rai shares an intimate moment with her husband, Abhishek for this year's film, Raavan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1341257/Race-row-fashion-bible-Elles-cover-shoot-Bollywod-actress-skin-whitened.html#ixzz18yy16Xxg

Terenaina IF-Stunnerz
Terenaina
Terenaina

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged
oh god

aishwarya is light skined. And when the camera lights are on of course it's going to make her look even lighter than her real shade
bollygossipgirl Senior Member
bollygossipgirl
bollygossipgirl

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged
Majority of actresses do look much lighter skinned on covers and shoots, in films, on screen etc i think Aish just looks a little too pale than she normally does - she normally at least has a healthy tanned glow, but here its like she's painted to look white

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ruky786

ruky786 IF-Stunnerz
ruky786
ruky786

Posted: 24 December 2010 at 2:33am | IP Logged
It doesn't matter if you're black or white. So if Aish's skin is white obviously it would look even more white because of the bright light shone upon her face. (I sounded a bit filmy)

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

miley cyrusRekha_jiTerenaina

ibelieveinpink IF-Stunnerz
ibelieveinpink
ibelieveinpink

Posted: 25 December 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged
Ok I've met her in real life and she didn't have make up on...and trust me when I say she has white skin....like super fair...it's as white as milk...so maybe they lightened it, but I don't know how much they could possibly whitened it considering she's natural quite fair!

Edited by sweet coco - 25 December 2010 at 2:42pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Terenaina

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top