Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
No profession is a noble profession. A profession/ job is just that, a profession/ job... means to a livelihood. It's what you make out of it which makes it noble or ordinary in your or other's mind.
xobile thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

No profession is a noble profession. A profession/ job is just that, a profession/ job... means to a livelihood. It's what you make out of it which makes it noble or ordinary in your or other's mind.

Well people of particular religious views may see butchers as less than noble because it involves killing. Violent athiests may see priests and nuns as doing ignoble things. For example, Christopher Hitchens has heavily criticised Mother Teresa. Following the banking crisis, banking as a job has lost its noble credentials.

I think certain professions are considered 'noble' because society wouldn't function without them. They are absolutely necessary. Of course, all successful businesses are contributing to the economy, but not all could be said to be necessary for a well functioning society. For example, some might say the po*n industry is certainly not necessary and its not very noble because of its negative external costs. Same with the cigarette and drugs industries.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: xobile

I think certain professions are considered 'noble' because society wouldn't function without them. They are absolutely necessary. Of course, all successful businesses are contributing to the economy, but not all could be said to be necessary for a well functioning society. For example, some might say the po*n industry is certainly not necessary and its not very noble because of its negative external costs. Same with the cigarette and drugs industries.

In that context lawyers would be extremely noble, because society would not be able to function without them. It is through lawyers that the legal machine of a democratic society is upheld.

I don't think lawyers are liars, because lying is perjury. But they may withhold the truth, not tell the whole truth or embellish the truth. They may behave in a manner that his highly unethical but still legal. Sometimes a lawyer has to defend rapists, murderers, and all sorts of scoundrels. To me the beauty of the legal system is that they have to. Some do it for the money and defend big profile criminals.

Public lawyers are stuck defending/prosecuting someone they don't want to, because it is either against their ethics or not conducive to their pocket books. The common man has a right to a fair trial though. Not all accused are guilty. Not all accused deserve severe punishment. No all plaintiffs are innocent. Not all plaintiffs deserve justice. Law despite being reason free of passion, has many many gray areas. That is why the legal code requires lawyers to serve a client 100%, irrespective of guilt. Its an insurance for lay citizens that if we are victims of crime or accused of crime our lawyer whether paid or public is obliged to serve us 100% or excuse themselves of the case. Sometimes this means they serve a wrong person, but each side is expected to get full and fair representation.

True some lawyers are really in it for the money, either defending criminals and the rich, or needlessly suing people and businesses in torts.

Anyway, law is not always glamorous as we perceive it. Many lawyers are just ordinary contract or property lawyers who usually are stuck with drafting verbose contracts or understanding them. Some just do research and documentation. Many civil lawyers settle very modest civil suits and try to do it in a fair ethical manner. Many family court or divorce lawyers also try to be ethical and display fairness rather than mint money.

Many lawyers do take up constitutional law to try and influence the interpretation and implementation of constitution through government and agencies. Many lawyers work exclusively for grass roots organizations, civil rights organizations, representing minorities, representing non profits or environmental policy and such things because they do want to feel good about what they do and make a difference.

So not all lawyers are terrible people or liars.

Of course Jack McCoy is my hero.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Is law a noble profession?

Like Soumya said...a profession is just a profession....its our perception that makes it noble or otherwise......they are all means to earn livelihood by means of the skills that one is adept in......
Generally speaking teaching and medicine are considered as noble profession by most......but the professionals doing these jobs are doing it for money......as long as any profession is carried out with full honesty and dedication it is a noble profession in my eyes.......
My kids pediatrician is the doing the most noble profession in my eyes.....she makes my kids better when they are sick and down....so its our perception that counts and not the kind of job that one does..Law is as noble a profession as any other......if done honestly...but people generally think that lawyers would use hook or crook to win their cases which may or may not be true..
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Lawyers are not necessarily liars. There are different fields that lawyers can specialize in, and also, they can choose which cases to take or not take. They don't have to always be the one defending a guilty client unless if they choose so. Having said that, my main point it that people make a professor noble or not by their practice. Doctors can be not so noble depending on the way they choose to practice. As long as people are making money with an honest living and with integrity, their job is noble. I don't think it's fair to say all lawyers not noble or liars though because not all are.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
LOL Xo, I wonder what prompted you to discuss this topic?😉

I'll add my views tomorrow when I can think straight.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I heart lawyers.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD0WJoE1Hv4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kh7GKSQ-c[/YOUTUBE]
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I think certain professions are considered 'noble' because society wouldn't function without them.

The statement should actually be: I think certain professions are considered 'noble' because society (as I know it) wouldn't function without them.

As long as there are some human beings left and provided they are within communicable distance of each other and not all of them are anti-social types, there will be a society. Only the form of society may vary but it'd neither cease to exist or function.
Edited by souro - 13 years ago
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
https://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071207022861/aceattorney/images/2/24/Sprite-karma.gif

Manfred von Karma
was a renowned prosecutor who went undefeated for 40 years, earning him numerous "King of Prosecutors" awards, before finally meeting his match in Phoenix Wright.

In 2001, Manfred von Karma argued a case against esteemed defense lawyer Gregory Edgeworth. Although he won the case, von Karma was penalized because of Edgeworth's accusation that von Karma was using forged evidence. Von Karma was shocked beyond belief; he had never been penalized before. The one thing he valued above all else was his perfect record.

Von Karma enters the lift.GerkumanAdded by Gerkuman Soon afterward, an earthquake struck the courthouse, leaving von Karma wandering in the darkness. He felt his way to an elevator and tried to use it, but nothing happened. Suddenly, a gunshot rang out and von Karma was struck in the right shoulder, causing him to utter a terrible scream. Then, the power came back on, and the elevator doors opened. To his surprise, von Karma found a pistol at his feet, along with three people lying unconscious from oxygen deprivation. When he saw that one of the passengers was Gregory Edgeworth, he picked up the gun and shot him in the heart, killing him instantly. He left the gun and fled the scene, taking a "vacation" to heal his injury from the incident. Meanwhile, the case of Gregory Edgeworth's murder, known as the DL-6 Incident, was held against Yanni Yogi, one of the other people on the elevator, who plead temporary insanity to get off the hook.

The third person in the elevator was Gregory's son Miles. Six months after Gregory's death, von Karma adopted Miles as his own, and trained him to become a ruthless prosecutor like himself. For the following 15 years, von Karma's demonic scream from the DL-6 Incident would haunt Miles, and Miles would believe that he had shot his own father.

Five years later, von Karma sent a letter to Yanni Yogi with a detailed plan to murder Robert Hammond and frame Miles Edgeworth. He instructed Yogi to burn the letter after reading it, but Yogi chose to lock it in his safe. On the night of "revenge", Yogi called Hammond and Edgeworth to Gourd Lake. Hammond arived first, and Yogi proceeded to kill him. He then put on Hammond's coat and waited for Edgeworth. Once he arrived, the two went out on a boat, where Yogi fired a pistol twice with his left hand, both bullets intentionally missing Edgeworth, and then jumped into the lake. He then put the coat back on Hammond and threw the body into the lake. Meanwhile, back on the boat, Edgeworth picked up the pistol in his right hand, in shock at what had happened. On shore, Yogi called the police, claiming to have witnessed the murder, and Edgeworth was arrested. Von Karma had chosen this time to frame Edgeworth because it would be his last chance to get Edgeworth convicted of the DL-6 murder before the statute of limitations expired on the case.

Manfred von Karma was the prosecutor in the resulting trial of Miles Edgeworth. Like most of von Karma's other cases, von Karma had intended for this case to be a quick and clean guilty verdict, and laid his usual unbearable pressure on Edgeworth's lawyer Phoenix Wright. However, quite unlike other lawyers, Wright persevered through von Karma's increasingly desperate tactics and met von Karma with desperate tactics of his own. Von Karma eventually met Wright in the evidence room containing the DL-6 files. Wright had figured out everything and only needed the evidence to win his case; in desperation, von Karma took out a stun gun, used it on Wright, and stole all of the evidence save the bullet that had killed Gregory Edgeworth, which Wright's assistant Maya Fey had managed to take before being shocked herself.

Eventually, Yogi was unmasked in court. However, after the not guilty verdict was read, Edgeworth immediately confessed to killing his own father in the DL-6 incident. Wright proved Edgeworth wrong, that von Karma had been the real killer. Wright knew that von Karma would have left the bullet Edgeworth had shot in his body and suggested that a metal detector be used to prove that Edgeworth had really shot von Karma, whereupon von Karma screamed the same scream Edgeworth had heard before passing out during DL-6. His plans exposed, von Karma started banging his head against the wall of the court. He had suffered two defeats at Wright's hand, the only two he had ever received. Manfred von Karma was later sentenced to death and executed for his crimes.