xobile
xobile

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged
Is law a noble profession?

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
No profession is a noble profession. A profession/ job is just that, a profession/ job... means to a livelihood. It's what you make out of it which makes it noble or ordinary in your or other's mind.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfAngel-likeDevilU-No-Pooglace-bleue

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

No profession is a noble profession. A profession/ job is just that, a profession/ job... means to a livelihood. It's what you make out of it which makes it noble or ordinary in your or other's mind.

Well people of particular religious views may see butchers as less than noble because it involves killing. Violent athiests may see priests and nuns as doing ignoble things. For example, Christopher Hitchens has heavily criticised Mother Teresa. Following the banking crisis, banking as a job has lost its noble credentials.

I think certain professions are considered 'noble' because society wouldn't function without them. They are absolutely necessary. Of course, all successful businesses are contributing to the economy, but not all could be said to be necessary for a well functioning society. For example, some might say the po*n industry is certainly not necessary and its not very noble because of its negative external costs. Same with the cigarette and drugs industries.

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

I think certain professions are considered 'noble' because society wouldn't function without them. They are absolutely necessary. Of course, all successful businesses are contributing to the economy, but not all could be said to be necessary for a well functioning society. For example, some might say the po*n industry is certainly not necessary and its not very noble because of its negative external costs. Same with the cigarette and drugs industries.

In that context lawyers would be extremely noble, because society would not be able to function without them. It is through lawyers that the legal machine of a democratic society is upheld.

I don't think lawyers are liars, because lying is perjury. But they may withhold the truth, not tell the whole truth or embellish the truth. They may behave in a manner that his highly unethical but still legal. Sometimes a lawyer has to defend rapists, murderers, and all sorts of scoundrels. To me the beauty of the legal system is that they have to. Some do it for the money and defend big profile criminals.

Public lawyers are stuck defending/prosecuting someone they don't want to, because it is either against their ethics or not conducive to their pocket books. The common man has a right to a fair trial though. Not all accused are guilty. Not all accused deserve severe punishment. No all plaintiffs are innocent. Not all plaintiffs deserve justice. Law despite being reason free of passion, has many many gray areas. That is why the legal code requires lawyers to serve a client 100%, irrespective of guilt. Its an insurance for lay citizens that if we are victims of crime or accused of crime our lawyer whether paid or public is obliged to serve us 100% or excuse themselves of the case. Sometimes this means they serve a wrong person, but each side is expected to get full and fair representation.

True some lawyers are really in it for the money, either defending criminals and the rich, or needlessly suing people and businesses in torts.

Anyway, law is not always glamorous as we perceive it. Many lawyers are just ordinary contract or property lawyers who usually are stuck with drafting verbose contracts or understanding them. Some just do research and documentation. Many civil lawyers settle very modest civil suits and try to do it in a fair ethical manner. Many family court or divorce lawyers also try to be ethical and display fairness rather than mint money.

Many lawyers do take up constitutional law to try and influence the interpretation and implementation of constitution through government and agencies. Many lawyers work exclusively for grass roots organizations, civil rights organizations, representing minorities, representing non profits or environmental policy and such things because they do want to feel good about what they do and make a difference.

So not all lawyers are terrible people or liars.

Of course Jack McCoy is my hero.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

xobile

glace-bleue IF-Stunnerz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 5:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

Is law a noble profession?

Like Soumya said...a profession is just a profession....its our perception that makes it noble or otherwise......they are all means to earn livelihood by means of the skills that one is adept in......
Generally speaking teaching and medicine are considered as noble profession by most......but the professionals doing these jobs are doing it for money......as long as any profession is carried out with full honesty and dedication it is a noble profession in my eyes.......
My kids pediatrician is the doing the most noble profession in my eyes.....she makes my kids better when they are sick and down....so its our perception that counts and not the kind of job that one does..Law is as noble a profession as any other......if done honestly...but people generally think that lawyers would use hook or crook to win their cases which may or may not be true..
tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged
Lawyers are not necessarily liars. There are different fields that lawyers can specialize in, and also, they can choose which cases to take or not take. They don't have to always be the one defending a guilty client unless if they choose so. Having said that, my main point it that people make a professor noble or not by their practice. Doctors can be not so noble depending on the way they choose to practice. As long as people are making money with an honest living and with integrity, their job is noble. I don't think it's fair to say all lawyers not noble or liars though because not all are.
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged
LOL Xo, I wonder what prompted you to discuss this topic?Wink

I'll add my views tomorrow when I can think straight.
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged
I heart lawyers.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

Go to top