Chat Clubs

India-Forums

Chat Clubs
Chat Clubs

Random Ramblers Timbuktoo#65!!!! (Page 99)

psawyer IF-Stunnerz
psawyer
psawyer

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged
@Anu - I never saw Chandrakanta Shocked it never came here in the UK....my first mytho was the classic Mahabharata, the Chopras' version. My mother delights in telling me that by the age of 4 I was reciting Yada Yada Hi Dharmasya perfectly LOL. Till date, that's my favourite shlok; I seriously feel this special affinity with it. 

I also loved Ramanand Sagar's Shree Krishna, with Swapnil Joshi. The baby Krishna in that series is seriously the cutest baby I have ever seen in my life!!

What was Chandrakanta about/like?

Just saw Mukti Bandhan....hmmm....I liked the initial voiceover/monologue introduction where the main character revealed his struggle. Beyond that....not so much. Nothing bad, per se. Just nothing that immediately gripped me. Quite cliched, in the Ekta sense, but lacking a bit of the Ekta flair. I was expecting lots of dishoom-dishoom camera angles, lots of flying hair etc, since the construct of the show seems so close to Ekta's Kyunkis and Kahaanis. It fell ever so slightly flat. The acting was competent, and I wasn't particularly cringing at anything....but.

Then again, so many promising shows turn out to be utterly crap after a few weeks, so it's entirely possible that a show that starts off as middling, not so impressive can make itself better within the first few weeks. I'm willing to give it a chance, coz God knows there aint nuthin' else on TV LOL

As for Phulwa, same review. Too much "been there, done that"-ness to it; feel like I've seen that very scene in countless Colors shows; but the concept is interesting, so fingers crossed. 

Edited by psawyer - 10 January 2011 at 3:28pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

nimrah

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged
Ohhhh you never lived in India I guess....I dunno why I thought you might have for a bit......then you really wouldn't know about Chandrakanta....lol.....my bad. Hmm let it be....I don't think you'd be interested in it then.

So both Mukti Bandhan and Phulwa had average beginnings? Hmmm.....there is a sort of sense of fatigue and a jaded aspect to many Colors shows these days I feel as well.

psawyer

psawyer IF-Stunnerz
psawyer
psawyer

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nureat01

Ohhhh you never lived in India I guess....I dunno why I thought you might have for a bit......then you really wouldn't know about Chandrakanta....lol.....my bad. Hmm let it be....I don't think you'd be interested in it then.  LOL, okay.  Did you used to live in India, then? When did you move to the US?

So both Mukti Bandhan and Phulwa had average beginnings? Hmmm.....there is a sort of sense of fatigue and a jaded aspect to many Colors shows these days I feel as well. Yeah, Colors is colourful no more ConfusedLOL Phulwa had this Devi / Na Aana Iss Des Laado feel to it; it could well be a good show but somehow I feel that beginnings matter, you know? Even with Mukti Bandhan....I was expecting more. Could be that I should just not hold any expectations for desi stuff anymore; coz 95% of the time my expectations are too high...these days I end up being pleasantly surprised that a show is not crap LOL and guess what THAT says about the state of Indian TV...or maybe I'm just not rabid enough LOL I agree with LadyM; what is wrong with us that we can't like the likes of dil ka daacter and mahi mahi?! Or are we the only sane people in the world surrounding us?! Sometimes I feel like a salmon floating upstream, against the tide, while every other fish in the sea is going the opposite way ConfusedLOL

Never thought, back in the day, that I would ever prefer a K serial! Kuch bhi sahi, at least you knew where you stood with Ekta. Some random bakwaas, lots of party-sharties, some "hey hey" girl/boy rivalry, death, rebirth, amnesia, remarriage, separation, headache WHATEVER...but at least it was predictable, and at least it was consistent. And more often than not, more than anything, at least there were decent actors!  Aaj kal toh...

Speaking of Na Aana Iss Des (I know you don't watch it, Anu) - the show overall is a sobfest...but man, I am really liking this girl Janhvi....she's just so bindaas and totally quirky and cute. Gundi ki beti hai, after all LOL but she's just about the only saving grace on the show. 

Edited by psawyer - 10 January 2011 at 4:13pm

AreYaar

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by psawyer

LOL, okay.  Did you used to live in India, then? When did you move to the US? Yep I've lived in India most of my life....born and brought up there....moved to the U.S. about 8 years ago.

it could well be a good show but somehow I feel that beginnings matter, you know? Oh I SO agree.....beginnings SO do matter....you're putting out a product....there is such a thing as a first impression....I'm not saying that you reveal the whole story in the first epi but there should be SOMETHING....a spark...that sets it apart....especially from the writing POV...it's not just about telling a unique story....it's about being a good storyteller....telling any story...even an old one....in an engaging manner....that is what I look for in a show.

I agree with LadyM; what is wrong with us that we can't like the likes of dil ka daacter and mahi mahi?! Or are we the only sane people in the world surrounding us?! Sometimes I feel like a salmon floating upstream, against the tide, while every other fish in the sea is going the opposite way ConfusedLOL LMAO awesome simile....that's exactly how I feel as wellLOL

Never thought, back in the day, that I would ever prefer a K serial! Kuch bhi sahi, at least you knew where you stood with Ekta. Some random bakwaas, lots of party-sharties, some "hey hey" girl/boy rivalry, death, rebirth, amnesia, remarriage, separation, headache WHATEVER...but at least it was predictable, and at least it was consistent. And more often than not, more than anything, at least there were decent actors!  Aaj kal toh... LOL yeah yeh toh maanna padega.....despite all the convoluted b.s. atleast the classic Kekta shows had consistency....and more than anything GOOD actors....they could all act...from the lead cast down to sidey jokers like IndroneelLOL.....Aaj kal toh watching some ppl "acting" is enough to make you want to gouge your eyes out watching themDeadLOL

Speaking of Na Aana Iss Des (I know you don't watch it, Anu) - the show overall is a sobfest...but man, I am really liking this girl Janhvi....she's just so bindaas and totally quirky and cute. Gundi ki beti hai, after all LOL but she's just about the only saving grace on the show. LOL you really like her, haan? Got a link to her scenes? Main bhi dekh leti hoonLOL

psawyer

psawyer IF-Stunnerz
psawyer
psawyer

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nureat01

Yep I've lived in India most of my life....born and brought up there....moved to the U.S. about 8 years ago. 

Oh cool. Whereabouts in India did you live? Do you prefer US or India?

Oh I SO agree.....beginnings SO do matter....you're putting out a product....there is such a thing as a first impression....I'm not saying that you reveal the whole story in the first epi but there should be SOMETHING....a spark...that sets it apart....especially from the writing POV...it's not just about telling a unique story....it's about being a good storyteller....telling any story...even an old one....in an engaging manner....that is what I look for in a show

@red - TOTALLY agree. That's all I need - a spark. Something that makes me want to come back. I'm not expecting every show to have a completely innovative story; this is clearly not possible. They say that there are only really 7 basic plots in the world, and these plots are used by everyone; by writers, TV shows, films, music, art and all other creative pursuits. I don't expect or demand innovation in that sense; that would be stupid and fatalistic LOL but most often the story is not what matters - what matters is how you tell it. Some of my favourite films - Jab We Met, Hum Tum, DDLJ etc - have stories that have been told and repeated countless times. But its the way that they have been told that draws me in. I don't expect a TV show to be completely original (though something less than a carbon copy of another is always welcome) but the writing needs to be up to standard; it needs to be tight, slick and engaging, and it needs to make me want to watch it. I shouldn't have to force myself to watch something out of sheer boredom. 

LMAO awesome simile....that's exactly how I feel as wellLOL 

Lol, sometimes I wish I could just be one of those teenagers again....with raging hormones and an uncomplicated makeup that accepts bulging torsos and simpering doe-eyed girls as EXCELLENT characterisations LOL but then I remember I hated being a teenager...and I was never that uncomplicated anyway LOL 

LOL yeah yeh toh maanna padega.....despite all the convoluted b.s. atleast the classic Kekta shows had consistency....and more than anything GOOD actors....they could all act...from the lead cast down to sidey jokers like IndroneelLOL.....Aaj kal toh watching some ppl "acting" is enough to make you want to gouge your eyes out watching themDeadLOL

My God...honestly....I don't know whether to cry or laugh hysterically when I watch the "acting" of today. I just....I find it incomprehensible how anyone can look at these people and see talent! What is wrong with the world?! And I don't think I am being snobbish here or overly critical; without wanting to offend any random stalkers reading this convo...I truly do NOT understand what people see in the likes of the Armaans and the Maans. Seriously. What, can anybody explain to me, is the difference between these two? Aside from the fact that they are played by different actors, of course. If you asked an AR fan to list all of Armaan's "qualities", acc. to them, and if you asked a Maan fan to do the same, and you compared the list - it would be exactly the same!

It seems these days that EVERY single actor/character has this checklist of things they have to be - the overly toned torso, the strategically unbuttoned shirt to showcase as much of that cleavage as possible, the too-perfect squared jaw, the stubble that looks like its been measured to suit a certain size (too much and he'll look like an unwashed homeless beggar...too little and he's not "serious" about his work/life/love/whatever)...every "hero" has to be this brooding, intense, stone-cold impressive man with a secret heart of gold Ermm (even Armaan, who started off as a kind of funny man, joker type, ended up as the dil ka haara, obsessive lover). If the hero is not possessive, aggressive, jealous and often malicious - he is not a "man" Confused. It just smacks of such....calculation. Everything is too perfect, and I absolutely loathe that. I'm sick of it. 

I'm not saying that the characters I've liked in the past have been completely authentic and original. But characters like Prem/UD, while perhaps not original....was not exactly this perfect specimen and God's gift to womankind. He was deeply, deeply flawed, incredibly selfish, naive, often mean-spirited and so damn difficult to understand. I don't know how any woman in the real world could put up with him as long as Mukti did. He would have been dumped and discarded within minutes. He was incredibly complex...so much so that you needed a Ph.D. to understand his motives! At least there was something to decipher there - some substance. With these newfound heros....where's the complexity? When the hero does something, he does it acc. to some pre-prescribed set of rules; what is there to figure out, analyse? He does it because he's "awwwwwwwwww, in lowweeeeeeeee with her sooooooooo much!!! *puke*" I can't stand that kind of perfection. It is not real; it does not exist.

I think, often, there's a pattern with the characters I like. Mostly the pattern is that they are imperfect. Two that come to mind are UD and Shruti. Both of them are imperfect in more ways than one. Stubborn, selfish, hot-headed, rude, mean, kind, loving and on many occasions, entirely undeserving of the love of the people in their lives - Mukti in UD's case and in Shruti's, her mother. Mukti, while I love her, was often much more of a mahaan character than Shruti and even Prerna, who gave in to her urges and bhashan-slapped lots of people, and was quite often WRONG. Parvati toh was the queen of mahaanta and suffering; not that I loved her any less for that - just differently. In fact, I think I loved Parvati best when she was Janki....when she was a little rude, selfish, self-obsessed and uncaring (even if it was just for show). Especially since those idiots all deserved it. 

There were times when I hated both UD and Shruti. (Ironically most heatedly both during the respective rape tracks). During Mukti's rape track....I think the only way that I could have hated UD any more was if he was the one who had raped her. Apart from that slight edge that Sharad had, Sharad and UD were almost level in my hatred of them at the time. But at least that made for an interesting character. How much time did we spend, Anu, trying to figure out just what  the hell that idiot UD was doing?! Because he wasn't completely evil, which is also a bore. How much time did I spend wondering what was wrong with Shruti?! Because she wasn't completely evil either. 

And yet, through all of it....I simply couldn't let go of the fact that these two were...at the very least....the realest people in all of TV-dom. People are not black and white - they are grey. They are stupid, clever, selfish, sacrificing, rude, polite and countless other things. People are a source of mystery to each other; why one person does one thing in a particular situation, and another does something completely different. That's the whole point. We are people, not cardboard cutouts of "The Perfect Man" and "The Perfect Woman". I'm sick of seeing these kinds of "idealistic" characters being shown as the norm....because when these audiences go out into the real world they realise that the truth is very different, and thus disappointing. 

Of course, there are other creative arts where this "perfection" is sought; literature is one. Now, I read, a LOT, and I'm not ashamed to say that I also read chick lit. I'm a fan - no doubt. If I want to read about the perfect fairytale romance I do. But at least I have a choice in the matter; if I want to read chick lit I can...if I want to read about a depressing, morbid, doomed love affair, I can. If I want to read about parrots, I can LOL in TV these days....in Indian TV especially...where is the choice?! It's no choice to say "I'll watch issue-based shows on Colors", or "I'll watch the news instead of Star Plus"...if these shows are crap, they are crap. There's no choice between a crap carbon copy love story and a crap show on another channel. And switching the TV off is no choice either; TV isn't the property of these shows, it isn't that only those who love what's on are allowed to watch it and others have to shut up and bear it. At least with literature there is so much GOOD writing on all manner of subjects; and no one author thinks "hmm...that so-and-so author has done really well this year with his sci-fi-fantasy-vampire-love-story. I know - I'll make my next book a sci-fi-fantasy-vampire-love-story to cash in!!" (of course, speaking of vampires, you will always get a Stephanie Meyer amongst the Anne Rices LOL ). Indian TV nowadays is so much more about "So-and-so show is doing well....I'll borrow their tricks and storylines and do the same!!" Not only do I wonder and worry about the current crop of actors....but more than that I worry about these so-called writers. Have they really lost all originality...all creativity that they must plagiarise from each other and other sources? Can they really dare to call themselves "writers" when they are not writing but stealing?! It beggars belief. 

LOL you really like her, haan? Got a link to her scenes? Main bhi dekh leti hoonLOL Lol - she's not so original , but as I mention in detail above LOL that's okay. Try this link:
Part 1:http://super.mast.tv/zshare.php?file=85035869b1042a97/
Part 2: http://super.mast.tv/zshare.php?file=85035866e6715f20/

This is yesterday's episode. Context: The girl in the wedding dress (Dia) is her long-lost twin sister who was separated at birth Wacko and was raised by Ammaji and family. Jhanvi (purple dress) was raised by Ammaji's gundi daughter who was also separated from her own mother (told you this wasn't original LOL). Dia was being forced to marry this random stalker guy who made her family believe that she had slept with him, despite the fact that she is terrified of him and pretty much everyone else in the world...but at the last minute Jhanvi , with the help of No One Killed Jessica's Rani and Vidya (Ermm I never said it was good, either LOL)...saved her from the creepo and stopped the marriage. This is the ep following that. 

Edited by psawyer - 11 January 2011 at 3:47am
psawyer IF-Stunnerz
psawyer
psawyer

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 8:56am | IP Logged
LOL, found this OLDDDDDD article about KSG from KZK days....

Karan Singh

Kassauti Zindagi Kay is
 very complicated and is like the Hindi version of The Bold and the Beautiful

I am- an extrovert, gym freak, adjustable and selfish

Interests other than acting - exercising and sex

Working with Balaji -is like a dream

I came into Balaji  through an all India hunt

First crush – was when I was in fourth class

Love is  the center of universe

Lust is– the core of that universe

The fruit I resemble the most- Apple, as it is tough and juicy

Wildest bedroom fantasy  all my fantasies have become realities

The most happening actress on TV my girlfriend Barkha Bisht

The most happening male actor on TV Eijaz Khan

My girlfrind Barkha Bisht is- is the center of my Universe

incandescence IF-Sizzlerz
incandescence
incandescence

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged
^ And I see he hasn't change much.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Fivr-nimrahpsawyer

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:12am | IP Logged
@Vasu: LOL that question is not easy to answer....I miss India cuz it's my home....I grew up there....in Punjab.....and life and everything was just so much happier there.....and in the U.S. we've gotten different opportunities to grow...and in a sense I've gotten used to the lifestyle here.

Thanks for the links.....I'll try to check them out.

You know Vas....all that you are saying about characterization....I agree with you and I know it's futile to keep telling you this cuz you're not interested but once again I'll say if you ever watched Dutta as a character carefully, you'd see why he is such a special character above all the typical cliches of 'male leads' on TV currently.

Edited by nureat01 - 11 January 2011 at 9:13am

incandescence

Go to top