Random Ramblers Timbuktoo#65!!!! - Page 99

Posted: 13 years ago
LOL, I find the opposite is true - I find more "sameyness" and "blahness" (God, my English teacher would KILL me! In fact, I would kill me!! πŸ˜†) in desi shows than in western shows. At least they can claim to be "comedies" or "dramedies" or "thrillers" or whatever. There's some difference there. In desi I find that most follow the same formula with the same results; of course there must be exceptions...but even then the lines can be blurry. They want to be all things to every body and end up being a weird mix of nothing. 

Plus, I'll take Julianna Margulies over ANY current desi actor every single day. 
Edited by psawyer - 13 years ago
LOL they both exhibit "blahhness" and "sameyness" in their own ways (pardon my broken English as well :P).....again, it comes down to interests.....I find the constant bedroom musical chairs in most English shows puts me off....over the course of seasons, the same ppl end up sleeping with everyone in the cast of a show....what fun....and in other "dramatic/forensic" type genres, wohi typical murder solving stuff going on.....in your case you are a Juliana Margulies fan so you'll watch whatever she's in (Pardon my ignorance as I do not know)......I don't have any interest, so I won't.

In recent times, I thought Glee was a different kind of show but that also has ended up becoming SO retarded that I find myself thinking one shouldn't put much stock in English shows either....they too become quite retarded in their own ways soon enough....desi shows run on different values and restrictions but they are also retarded in their own way.....language is no barrier.....when there is a paucity of creative thought, it just shows....when the "depths" in characters are restricted to 2-3 typical ways, it shows....... I'm not much impressed with most shows these days.....feels like I really have seen it all and it's all repetitive and stupid by this point. Ppl only watch shows if they connect with some characters or some actors....I might find some better in comparison than others but nothing lasts.....Bones has lasted this long in my eyes and that's quite a miracle to me....any other show I've tried watching has become pathetic quite quickly.
Have any of you watched the promos of Love You Zindagi (the JWM adapted show)? I still haven't gotten around adjusting to the fact that Pavitra chick will be playing GeetπŸ˜•. Moreover KW is supposed to play the male lead, right? I think he is cute, but he isn't good at acting. The promos are quite blah, IMO. But maybe that's because I was put off watching Pavitra as Geet.

Btw, I read the Bones spoilers. Cannot wait to watch the episodes. BnB stuck together in elevator, spending time together in Valentines day, and sniper killing Taffet!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to watch these epis. The only thing that's not going well with me is the fact that Booth told his 'serious' girlfriend (what was her name? I so can't remember itπŸ˜•) about Brennan's confession. Dude!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe it won't be that bad while watching the actual scene, but the way it was written in the spoiler made it sound bad.
Originally posted by nureat01

LOL they both exhibit "blahhness" and "sameyness" in their own ways (pardon my broken English as well :P).....again, it comes down to interests.....I find the constant bedroom musical chairs in most English shows puts me off....over the course of seasons, the same ppl end up sleeping with everyone in the cast of a show....what fun....and in other "dramatic/forensic" type genres, wohi typical murder solving stuff going on.....in your case you are a Juliana Margulies fan so you'll watch whatever she's in (Pardon my ignorance as I do not know)......I don't have any interest, so I won't.

It's interesting, isn't it, to see our differing aspects, and to think about how much our experiences are based on where we were born/where we lived our whole lives? Not that I want to generalise, esp. not knowing your motivations with what you like and don't like - which might not have anything to do with your location/birthplace. The bedroom musical chairs, as you put it, to me has become very blase and minor. Not that I think sex is frivolous or that I approve/endorse/be influenced by any of it in any way. Just that, having lived here my whole life, I have sort of become...not immune, but used to it. So to me that's a secondary concern. Yes, maybe there are times when I roll my eyes to see the same group of people take turns with each other (90210 & Gossip Girl seem the worst offenders of this, and ample reason why I don't watch either of them), but by and large it elicits nothing more than a "meh" from me. That's IF the rest of the show has anything else to sell it. Like I said, shows like 90210 & GG which run solely on the very shallow basis of that don't appeal to me at all. And the shows that I watch, by and large (okay, OTH often falls into the category of W*F?! πŸ˜†) have other primary concerns. The bedroom musical chairs isn't what, say, The Good Wife is about, or what HIMYM is about and definitely not what Being Human is about.  (And I'm not saying this to preach at you since I know you don't watch these shows and might not know much about them). 

As for Julianna, honestly speaking I didn't know much about her at all until The Good Wife; I am now a big fan of hers because she has real acting chops, so sure, in the future if she appears on another show I will watch it to see her. But if the content is crap, I don't know how long she alone could make me watch it. And that goes for any actor. For the longest time I didn't watch Bones because I loved DB as Angel and I thought that he would always be Angel, and that I wouldn't be able to believe him as Booth. In fact, the first ep I watched (middle of season 1, I believe), I couldn't stop thinking of him as Angel. (To be fair, in that ep he was skulking across a cemetery muttering Latin words, so naturally I made the connection instantly πŸ˜†). But very soon after that I stopped thinking of him as Angel and started seeing him as Booth. And now the characters are so disparate in my mind that it often amazes me that they are played by the same guy! Of course, if Bones had turned out to be crap, or had it not engaged me, then even DB couldn't have made me watch it. 

In recent times, I thought Glee was a different kind of show but that also has ended up becoming SO retarded that I find myself thinking one shouldn't put much stock in English shows either....they too become quite retarded in their own ways soon enough....desi shows run on different values and restrictions but they are also retarded in their own way.....language is no barrier.....when there is a paucity of creative thought, it just shows....when the "depths" in characters are restricted to 2-3 typical ways, it shows....... I'm not much impressed with most shows these days.....feels like I really have seen it all and it's all repetitive and stupid by this point. Ppl only watch shows if they connect with some characters or some actors....I might find some better in comparison than others but nothing lasts.....Bones has lasted this long in my eyes and that's quite a miracle to me....any other show I've tried watching has become pathetic quite quickly.

You know, when Glee came out, I loved it too. Camp, quirky, different and funny - I loved it. But halfway through season 1 I began to tire of it. It felt like the same episode, again and again...and I always thought I would catch up before season 2 but I never did. To me it felt like they were starting to sell out too much - so-and-so guest star this week, so-and-so guest star next week. Once in a while is fine, but do we really need a Madonna/Britney/MJ/Kanye tribute episode each week? 

But generally speaking I agree with you - maybe its the loss of those teenage hormones, but these days I'm not feeling too much connection with any TV things. Many of the shows I still watch are shows I've been watching for eons - barring The Good Wife, which was the first to grip me and the one show I really look forward to each week. But yeah, either TV in general these days has dumbed down....or we really are getting old(er)! πŸ˜†

@Mels - hi! No, haven't seen the trailers of that JWM rip off not intending to, either. I don't understand what people get from remaking/"rebooting" other genres. As if all the novel-into-movie adaptations weren't bad enough, and the Holly>Bollly>Holly panga wasn't bad enough....now TV shows are ripping off films?! Yeah, right - good luck with that. 

I'm still pissed that some hack "fan" thinks that "rebooting" Buffy  - without the STARS (incl. SMG, DB et al) and the fricking WRITER/CREATOR Joss Whedon !!! - is some kind of "tribute" and that people - real fans of BtVS - will actually go and see that crap! 
LOLLL Vasu.....you might not have said it blatantly but I just got the impression that I've been shunted aside as a "dehati from India who is too conservative" to understand these shows.....LOL.....yeah you can chalk it up to whatever.....I've seen enough American TV growing up as well....but I'd rather not get into that.....we all have our own motivations and understandings of these things.

I haven't watched any of these shows you're mentioning not cuz I get some impression of that musical chairs at the outset......but by and large, I haven't connected to any other characters in passing....the musical chairs is inevitable in every show and I don't sit there and go, "OMG these ppl just had SEX....oh poor old dehati me, how will I survive having seen this?".....no, but they all turn out to be inane shows ultimately in terms of characterization and then yes just the mindless sleeping around....can't connect with any of that.  I find everything to be quite shallow today on TV in general.

Hi Mels *waves* Nope, haven't seen the promo of the JWM remake....got a link?

Yeah I'm also not liking the sound of Booth telling Hannah about Brennan's confession but let's see how the scene unfolds.
Hey Vasu! And even the 'rebooting' seemed weird.....rip-off Geet was praying to her own picture to send her to Mumbai from BhatindaπŸ˜•. Firstly toh, praying to your own pic? Whatever! Next, I suppose, they are going back to the 'origins' of where Geet belongs from and will then move forward. You know, I really hope this show is a good one. Whether I watch it or not, and keeping all my hatred aside for Pavitra, I cannot bear the thought of JWM being butchered. So, I hope the show worksamong the  'intellectually superior' people, with sophisticated taste, and not for Star One shows' fansπŸ˜›

What? 'Rebooting' BtVS without SMG and DB?πŸ˜•πŸ˜†This sounds worse than anti-ED fans asking for Booth to end up with a new girl (who should be played by SMG). I tell you, people are getting crazier and dumber day by day. In the world, were oldies whine about this generation being too logical, logic.....well, the ability to even think, hardly seems to exist among the people of this generation.

And apparently they showed Dutta on SBS today walking blindly on the road and banging into a tree.....somewhere there is suddenly so much attention on LTL/Dutta/MR from these SBS waale....and suddenly the forum has random newbies entering it.....my past TV watching history makes me think that this doesn't bode well for the future of the show....more popularity/limelight = everything going down the drain....only certain tucche blind type of fangirls only are the ones left watching it thenπŸ˜†

Really? I haven't seen any...but then I'm not exactly that active in the forum. But you are right about that going down the drain equation...*sigh*...

Originally posted by psawyer

Haaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww πŸ˜² πŸ˜² Are you calling Mash a tucche blind type of fangirl??!!! *shakes head*

LOLLL...Oh Vas! πŸ˜† You won't have said that if you knew me...I'm toh get irritated with Dutta and MR too...like I quit the show after the first wedding phase coz Duta has gone crazy and MR was over-acting....

Soooo, did you watch any of the vids I send you? πŸ˜›
Anu, it looks like no one has uploaded the promo in YT. Anyway, found one of the old promos in another site........the recent one is still unavailable.

http://www.startv.in/video/?0_2_Love-You-Zindagi-0:2

I know!!!!!!! Booth telling Hannah isn't working well with me. But let's see.....Currently, I'm super excited about the sniper. But will have to wait for that *sigh*
LOL, no - I didn't mean to imply that. Simply that we were coming from different angles on this. To counter that, I've also seen many Indian shows growing up - in fact grown up on a mix of Indian, American and British shows so its not like I lean significantly to one school of thought on this. Or that I think western shows are always right and modern and liberal, or that Indian shows are always regressive and boring and conservative - or that people are defined by what they watch. Simply that our experiences and surroundings ultimately shape us, especially in formative years, and that we are informed by where we are, what we watch, who we talk to etc. 

If you felt like I was judging you or dismissing you in some way - that wasn't my intent at all. I'm not saying that my experience of TV is right, or that because I watch a certain show and you don't, that I'm somehow better than you, or vice versa. If I wanted to say that, I would have been blatant about it, lol. 

Speaking for myself, I can safely say that growing up where I did, I often find it a struggle to understand certain aspects of the Indian way of living. And that sometimes I wonder whether I could ever live in India after living here. And I have no doubt that if I had been born and grew up in India, I would not have those particular doubts but perhaps I would have doubts about the Western way of living. We are who we are, and who we are is shaped firstly and largely by where we are, what surrounds us, what we experience in life, what we see others experience. It's basic anthropology, not an assessment of anyone's character. 
Originally posted by Melissa

Hey Vasu! And even the 'rebooting' seemed weird.....rip-off Geet was praying to her own picture to send her to Mumbai from BhatindaπŸ˜•. Firstly toh, praying to your own pic? Whatever! Next, I suppose, they are going back to the 'origins' of where Geet belongs from and will then move forward. You know, I really hope this show is a good one. Whether I watch it or not, and keeping all my hatred aside for Pavitra, I cannot bear the thought of JWM being butchered. So, I hope the show worksamong the  'intellectually superior' people, with sophisticated taste, and not for Star One shows' fansπŸ˜›

What? 'Rebooting' BtVS without SMG and DB?πŸ˜•πŸ˜†This sounds worse than anti-ED fans asking for Booth to end up with a new girl (who should be played by SMG). I tell you, people are getting crazier and dumber day by day. In the world, were oldies whine about this generation being too logical, logic.....well, the ability to even think, hardly seems to exist among the people of this generation.

@red - seriously?! How weird...

@blue - EXACTLY! I love JWM, and I don't want to see it being butchered in the name of "inspiration" or "rebooting". Even if Imtiaz Ali decided one day to remake JWM, with all the same cast, I don't think that he or they could have done a better job; some things are just dependant on how they turn out at the time

@pink - LMAO - what are the chances of that?!!!

@green - yeah, unbelievably stupid, isn't it? Nobody, but nobody can play Buffy better than SMG and Angel better than DB. And this I might even have tolerated, dil pe patthar rakh ke, but making a movie without the guy who conceived/wrote the show in the first place? Blasphemy. That's like me taking my Complete Works of Shakespeare, rewriting it and calling it my "tribute" to Shakespeare 

LOL, I wouldn't mind SMG to show up in Bones, but that would be the squeeing fangirl in me....the rational person in me wouldn't like that at all πŸ˜†

@Mash - lol. Since you were being such a fangirl about MR - Mash007 and what not - I figured maybe πŸ˜† and um........πŸ€” *sheepish muh*....