Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is music the highest art? (Page 2)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

One thing I noticed, people don't really complain about dancing these days and rant and rave about the "good old days"  like in singing. One might argue that singing is tougher and the current gen doesnt have the aptitude to perform as well, or one might say that dancing is timeless. Although I feel that the second argument is a bit weak.

Dancing does receive its fair share of criticism. People do criticize the pelvic thrusts or raunchy stuff in our movies. The sensual styles like lambada, bachata, rumba were not well received by many people. But the criticism is much less.

I don't think this difference is due to singing being harder or dancing being timeless. In fact you cant say one is harder or more timeless. A musician may find it hard to dance and a dancer may find it hard to play instruments or sing. Timelessness again depends on what people enjoy.

I think its the question of exposure music has received. Music has exploded from just an art form to a mass entertainment platform. The number of artistes we have in various genres, the kind of recognition they get, the number of musical releases, award ceremonies and all that - dancing does not have that. So with more exposure there is more room for criticism.

Another difference I would say is the community. The dancing community tends to be much more responsive and adaptive to change. New age dances although receiving criticism were eventually well received. Music on the other hand tends to have stalwarts who are set in their eras and averse to changes. For example even back to the times of Beethoven, older composers criticized him especially for his fast paced scherzos, but painters of the time were well received after the initial criticism.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

mr.assxobileAngel-likeDevil

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:43pm | IP Logged
Well from what you wrote , one might infer that music has a stronger grip on people, making them creatures of habit, right?
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:44pm | IP Logged

Well from what you wrote , one might infer that music has a stronger grip on people, making them creatures of habit, right?

Seems more like it - music and cinema seem to be what captivate audiences most. Even in performing arts cinema beats broadway, play theater etc.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 20 December 2010 at 1:33am | IP Logged

I think music is one of the best ways to get high.

Poetry is the expression of the soul and set in music it touches the unexplored regions of the mind and soul.

Beautiful sights and love too can send us into  rapturous mood, lovely  thoughts and the images do invite music too.

One other thing that truly inspires is the sweet innocence of a child.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

xobileAngel-likeDevil

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 20 December 2010 at 5:30am | IP Logged

First let us define what "highest " means, xobi. What criteria do you set for judging the "altitude" of an art?

Well that's what's up for debate. In the Indian tradition it has been said that music is close to God, therefore it is the 'highest'. In the classical texts about art in India, it is said that music is the source of all other art, including sculpture and poetry. In my opinion, art aims to give us an emotional experience of some sort and any piece of art which does most effectively and immediately is 'high'. These are all the different ways of defining the 'highness' of art that people have adopted. Do you agree with them or do you have your own?

Edited by xobile - 20 December 2010 at 5:31am
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 20 December 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by xobile

The famous quote by Walter Pater goes, "All art constantly aspires to the condition of music."

Without getting into the meaning intending by Pater, let's discuss whether music really is the highest of the arts. Some questions to ponder:

What is art?

<font color="#0000ff">It is difficult to come up with a textbook definition of art. Art is anything that is an aesthetic expression of creativity and intellect. Music, dancing, painting, singing, drawing, acting, pottery, knitting, weaving are all arts. People often consider even sports, cooking, trades etc to be an art. I'd say if it reflects culture and soul its art</font>.

</em>

<em>What makes one art form 'higher' than another?

<font color="#0000ff">I honestly cannot rank one art over another. They all have an equitable place in our society.

</font>

Could you say music is the highest art in any sense?

<font color="#0000ff">As I stated, we really cannot rank arts. Moreover, what good is music to one who cannot
hear, perhaps then words penned by a poet or landscapes by a painter can
reflect the mood intended to be conveyed by the harmonies. It really depends on what we are looking for. </font>

What about songs which are really a mix of music and poetry?

<font color="#0000ff">Here we have the music and the lyrics. What of the songs inspired by a maiden's beauty captured by an artist on canvas, or the dances that indigenous people do to the sounds of nature, or by the fond remembrance of the scents and sounds of home. Sometimes art is really more interconnected than meets the eye. </font>

For me weaving and knitting are not as great as music...

But yeah art can be totally mixed up. Perhaps the most common 'mixed up' art form is cinema where we have drama, dance, music, poetry as well as all the moviemaking arts of camerawork, set design, costumes, lighting etc

This video sequence seems to blend instrumental music, poetry, painting and dance very well to create a comprehensive experience:

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 20 December 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

First let us define what "highest " means, xobi. What criteria do you set for judging the "altitude" of an art?

Well that's what's up for debate. In the Indian tradition it has been said that music is close to God, therefore it is the 'highest'. In the classical texts about art in India, it is said that music is the source of all other art, including sculpture and poetry. In my opinion, art aims to give us an emotional experience of some sort and any piece of art which does most effectively and immediately is 'high'. These are all the different ways of defining the 'highness' of art that people have adopted. Do you agree with them or do you have your own?

so when one looks at a painting or watch someone dancing or even someone serving an ace or hitting a six or magnificently executing ing a diving moonsault(wrestling) or delivering a superb knockout punch they don't give them an emotional experience? What about people hitting the goal in soccer? or acting marvellously?   It really does depend on the taste of the individual. What interests them the most? So if music is the highest form of art, I don't know. I do know that music is present in many of the arts I listed in this paragraph save for painting, perhaps. Maybe thats why you raised the question of music being the highest art. I do feel it is arguably the most prominent of arts.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

xobilereturn_to_hades

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 20 December 2010 at 6:04am | IP Logged
I was in an English lit class and the teacher was discussing a poem and he said that it was a great poem coz of it's musicality. And then he brought up the walter pater quote. And when I heard it, I completely agreed. But when I shared it with my cousin, he didn't agree at all. So I put up the topic here. LOL

Go to top