India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Is music the highest art?

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged

The famous quote by Walter Pater goes, "All art constantly aspires to the condition of music."

Without getting into the meaning intending by Pater, let's discuss whether music really is the highest of the arts. Some questions to ponder:

What is art?
What makes one art form 'higher' than another?
Could you say music is the highest art in any sense?
What about songs which are really a mix of music and poetry?

xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged
I think that all art does aspire to the condition of music. Sound has a pervasive, innate quality that can trigger emotions quite immediately. Beautiful music can bypass the mind and go straight to the soul, whilst other art forms like poetry or painting may need to be 'detected' and decoded first. Of course, some poetry, paintings and dance does have the same immediacy that I find in music, and in that case those pieces of art have attained the condition of music.

Having said this, I find instrumental or wordless music can be boring at times. Putting words and music together can be the most effective combo in my opinion.

Of course, that's just how I perceive it with my very limited knowledge and experience.
Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
I guess so. I can lose myself in music. Big smile .. sometimes I just sit there and wonder how music is created by those artists and .. some songs/symphonies or whatever sound sooo beautiful, I am at loss of words and they're touchy too.

But then I also find the art of dance beautiful..   both music and dance touch my heart.. both can be extremely beautiful.

I'll come back and edit my post later!
glace-bleue IF-Stunnerz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:35pm | IP Logged
Music is undoubtedly the most popular form of Art......but not the highest form of Art.......
Comparing two forms of Art is like comparing oranges and Apples...........Each form of art is a pleasure to the people who enjoy it......but there can never be a comparison......hence we cannot rank the arts...
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged
First let us define what "highest " means, xobi. What criteria do you set for judging the "altitude" of an art?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevilglace-bleue

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

The famous quote by Walter Pater goes, "All art constantly aspires to the condition of music."

Without getting into the meaning intending by Pater, let's discuss whether music really is the highest of the arts. Some questions to ponder:

What is art?

It is difficult to come up with a textbook definition of art. Art is anything that is an aesthetic expression of creativity and intellect. Music, dancing, painting, singing, drawing, acting, pottery, knitting, weaving are all arts. People often consider even sports, cooking, trades etc to be an art. I'd say if it reflects culture and soul its art.

I honestly cannot rank one art over another. They all have an equitable place in our society.

As I stated, we really cannot rank arts. Moreover, what good is music to one who cannot hear, perhaps then words penned by a poet or landscapes by a painter can reflect the mood intended to be conveyed by the harmonies. It really depends on what we are looking for.

Here we have the music and the lyrics. What of the songs inspired by a maiden's beauty captured by an artist on canvas, or the dances that indigenous people do to the sounds of nature, or by the fond remembrance of the scents and sounds of home. Sometimes art is really more interconnected than meets the eye.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

glace-bleue

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

What is art?

I believe some real music has tremendous power. It can possess...thts why music has been used by many religions as an approach towards prayer.......becos music will make our ears more vibrant, more sensitive....and I think real music takes you to the world of the beyond....I believe music have gr8 power to controll our mind and emotions. Smile
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:24pm | IP Logged
One thing I noticed, people don't really complain about dancing these days and rant and rave about the "good old days"  like in singing. One might argue that singing is tougher and the current gen doesnt have the aptitude to perform as well, or one might say that dancing is timeless. Although I feel that the second argument is a bit weak.

Go to top