Pavitra Rishta

Hope's Take - To Be or Not to Be.....

--Hope-- IF-Rockerz
--Hope--
--Hope--

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged

TO BE OR NOT TO BE ............. ARCHANA

For me, it's a not to be.

Many of you may read this and think that its really silly to say Not To Be for the lead character who has been picked as a star for her actions on innumerable occasions but the way I see it Archana is everything I would not want any girl to emulate (for the most part).

She is a victim - of her own making. 

• I have never seen Archana as a victim (though many will disagree) but instead I have seen her as an enabler. She enables her own victimization.
  • When she married Manav, she faced dowry demands and emotional torture at the hands of Savita.  Yet she did not do anything positive or meaningful to stop it.  She met the dowry demands through both her mother and her husband.  She accepted the torture as some kind of manna from heaven and she even stopped her husband from defending or supporting her. In doing so, she compromised her own standing in the house, placed her husband in an unenviable position and left her self open to repeated injustices.  She used the mahila samiti for Vandu but could not use it for herself?
  • Her marriage was battered with the efforts of Savita and Manjusha. Yet, all those times she chose not to dwell deeper and try to learn the truth by speaking to her husband, instead she remained silent and allowed things to get more chaotic around her till it was too late.
  • When she came back and learned of Shravani, she did not issue an ultimatum to Manav as she should have. Instead she enabled the situation by allowing a sindoor ceremony,  a second engagement, a bigamous situation, a meaningless divorce, a post divorce relationship and even went so far as to do everything within her power to strengthen the foundation for shravani's marriage (asking neighbours to accept, doing grihapravesh, getting shravani back repeatedly, etc).
  • When Rasika asked Vandu to slap her and Manav, instead of seeing it as a sign of more torture to come for Vandu, she allowed herself to be slapped and left Vandu in that hell hole to be raped and abused. She did everything in her power to PRESERVE Vandu's grihasti with a rapist.
  • She has no sense of self, self worth, self preservation.  In my mind Archana has done nothing to preserve women's rights or even her own, instead her actions have enabled women's subjugation in the show.

She is compassionate - but in a foolish sort of way

• She forgives those that seek to hurt her but is unyielding for those that genuinely care about HER interests.
  • She is so forgiving of Manjusha and Savita ' who have only suppressed her and done things to make her life miserable yet she is not equally compassionate of her mother's desire to protect her in her own way.

She speaks kindly - but in a patronizing sort of way

• Her tone may be kind but she acts like a know-it-all and it is this patronizing undertone that ruffles other people's feathers.
  • She calls Savita "Aai" repeatedly. Why? What has the woman done to merit this award?  When she went to warn her on Friday, why did she fold her hands and beg her not to do anything to incur her wrath?  What in Savita commands this kind of respect?  It is this "I am better than you and you just haven't realized it yet" attitude in the middle of a rage driven argument that drives people to want to do her harm.
  • When Savita came to create a tamasha in front of her house, why did she go to plead with her and preserve Savita's izzat? Why did she try to act like the better person and give her ALL her jewellry? Her kind but patronizing tone did not calm the matter but further instigated it. Sav was there to rant at Manav her son not at Archu. Why did SICK Archu come like a brave soul into the battle and then leave like some battered princess?
  • She spoke in a similar fashion to Vinod when she told him why she took away his children and gave them to Manjusha.  What if it had not been Vinod but Vaishali instead? Do you think her kind patronizing "I know best" attitude would have garnered her any votes of appreciation? I think not.  She made Vinod feel guilty for walking out on Manjusha when what he did at the time was justifiable yet when Varsha left her sasural for something that can be argued as being extremely wrong, she was spoon fed and treated like the prodigal child who had always been misunderstood.  Her compassion and forgiveness are always misdirected.
  • What was the need to go to Savita's house and give the bhashan on Friday?  Savita threw her husband in jail because he locked her up.  Savita was protecting herself. Manav as a son had a full right to intervene. But not Archu. So why go there and plead with Savita not to do this again? Why meddle and introduce yourself into every situation and make matters worse?
  • In fact, I think she is too meddlesome and needs to be reigned in. If she is so interested in improving and preserving lives maybe she should start with her own.

She is capable - but repeatedly ignores her capabilities and makes herself dependant when she can be independent.

• She is a good housemaker, a wonderful cook and a charming person. Why does she not use these basic skills to do some home-based business? Why does she use her lack for university education to remain bekar?  I know many women back home that use basic skills to make a very decent living for themselves. Yet Archu repeated wastes an able body and mind by REMAINING A DEPENDANT. She gave up a job, gave tuitions for free, acted like a governess for Vinod's children for free and a maid for Savita and Shravani for free. What is she waiting for? A miraculous jackpot? What is wrong with her that she cannot be gainfully employed?

She can be brave - but in a window dressing kind of way. 

• Her braveness is all talk and no action and amounts to squat.
  • She bravely confronted Rasika for Savita's humiliation. And then what? Was there any retribution as promised? Did Savita's insults at the hand of Rasika stop? Was there any effect other then temporary drama? None.  In fact, she did not even safeguard Vandu after issuing her very public threat to Rasika. She left with an abusive husband and MIL to face the fallout.
  • She bravely slapped Shravani for saying something bad about her baby in a moment of anger. Then what, she fed her, took care of her, gave her her husband, did her baby shower, etc. etc. yet this bravado was missing at varsha's time?
  • She slapped Dharmesh and sunaoed him a bhashan for his treatment of Manav and then what? She accepted his bail money to get out of prison, went back to work for him, etc, etc.
  • She defied her mother and walked away with Manav and then what? No game plan, ended up on the streets, got arrested, got sick and ultimately had to be cared for by the same mother she defied.
  • She bravely gave a bhashan to Savita on Friday, then what? She folded her hands and pleaded with Savita not to let her implement her threat?
  • Her bravery is non-existent and her bravado is a front.

This thread may be seen as a bashing thread if you think her actions have been misrepresented here.

I see it as just another character analysis as I neither love nor hate this character. At best I find her un-relatable at worst irritating.

Ankita Lokhande is a pretty girl and a talented actress (when she is not crying all the time) and I have to say that it is entirely her efforts and presence that has made a weak character like Archana lovable for so many.

Hope

Edited by stillhopeful - 19 December 2010 at 9:52am

The following 17 member(s) liked the above post:

shovanashresthaJasmine10pallaiviramgaayikatoothbrush13carpe-diemSweetFifiSpartacusLuvSSeverbhavni88shermabonnefillenikitagmcnycsweetieTanyazDabulls23

Tanyaz IF-Stunnerz
Tanyaz
Tanyaz

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:00am | IP Logged
I love the character of Archana but I understand your point of view as well. The characters in this show are not that well written .
Just look at all of them , no one has shown consistency .
None of your above point is wrong .They all are very valid and well meaning .
I like Archana for the way she loves Manav .Before it was her mother , now it is Manav who is her life .While  her love is beautiful to watch , sometimes it gets wrong .Extreme of everything is wrong and even extreme of this much obsession is wrong .Whatever wrong she did , I only see one reason for her to do so and that was to make sure that Manav should have the life that he wants .Tha tis the reason why she would support Shravani  or takes abuse from Savita .....all to make Manav happy .She even tried to make his relationship with Shravani better because she knew that he will never let go of Shravani and come back to her .And she weas right .He didn't .
It was Shravani who let him off..
Honestly I feel that this character is insecure about her love ..She keeps thinking that he may leave her as she clearly knows that she is not his priority .
Even when her mother was asking him to answer what he would choose between his wife or his family , she interfered as she knew that he didn't want to answer that question .
She should not have loved Manav this much .Tha t  is Archana 's biggest mistake .Her most adorable quality ( ability to love ) also becomes her most annoying quality at times .
Her lack of self worth and her height of obsession for Manav is what makes her do these wrong things ..
Maybe becoming a mother will make her more worthwhile and this insecurity that manav might leave her or not consider her that important again might become better .
Archnaa should change a lot ( for the better ) once she  becomes a mother..
There is now way too much inconsistancy in the characters of this show ...Honestly , I have given up ...Just watch it for the Arman ? Sushita chemistry which is awesome .
Still , love her loads and yes Ankita is playing Archan extremely  well...
Even Sushant is  playing Manav very well.If it was not for these two people , this show would have flopped .

Edited by Tanyaz - 19 December 2010 at 9:09am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

gaayikabhavni88LuvSSever--Hope--

bhavni88 IF-Dazzler
bhavni88
bhavni88

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged
wonderful post Hope..

agree with all points raised..

you have summarised the character very well...

acting skills of ankita bring the character alive..well done to her..Clap

just hope the cvs stop butchering her..

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LuvSSever--Hope--

--Hope-- IF-Rockerz
--Hope--
--Hope--

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tanyaz

I like Archana for the way she loves Manav .Before it was her mother , now it is Manav who is her life .

And there is my problem Tanyadi. She does not love herself.  It is pathetic to watch a character that feels no sense of self worth unless she has the approval and love of other people.

Varsha is wrong in many ways but she has a sense of self worth and honestly I find Varsha way braver than Archu.

While  her love is beautiful to watch , sometimes it gets wrong .Extreme of everything is wrong and even extreme of this much obsession is wrong .Whatever wrong she did , I only see one reason for her to do so and that was to make sure that Manav should have the life that he wants .Tha tis the reason why she would support Shravani  or takes abuse from Savita .....all to make Manav happy .

A love that only brings you pain or that does not value you for who you are is a love not worth having. there is not enviable for me in Archana and Manav's love.  even now when they are together they are not really reaping the full potential of their love.

Honestly I feel that this character is insecure about her love ..She keeps thinking that he may leave her as she clearly knows that she is not his priority .

so is his love really worth it then?

Maybe becoming a mother will make her more worthwhile and this insecurity that manav might leave her or not consider her that important again might become better .

I am honestly afraid to think what archana and manav's child will be like.  as insecure as both parents, constantly yearning for love and approval. constantly sacrificing.

yes the actors are keeping the characters alive.

I don't think ArMan are ready to be parents yet. they need to get a little more confident, a little more preserving of self, a little more detached from their families and more self-sufficient before they can think of children. especially archana.

the CVs need to stop showing her as constantly weak. she has been through a lot. the whole weak thing is unsaleable.

LuvSSeverTanyaz

Tanyaz IF-Stunnerz
Tanyaz
Tanyaz

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:35am | IP Logged
Hope all your answers to my post are 100 % right .No dispute whatsoever .
This kind of love is not right ....Period .

This is not even love yaar , some sort of obsession ..Just like Sulochan said ' Aisa kya hai is aadmi mey that you have gone nuts ' .
She has totally lost it .I really think the main reason for her accepting his sindoor filling and his engagment while he  is still married to her was because mainly as she wanted his respect and his love back ...she wanted to win his trust again .And somewhere little bit there is a guilt feeling that her family has made him and his family suffer so much ...
But honestly , she has done more than enough .And now even him and his mother have caused enough grief to her family ( her dad got heart attack yaar ) . I think they are pretty even now .
Now he is married to ehr again .She did not ask him to marry her , he did it on his own .He filled her maang on his own .
Time for them to start fresh .
I think the only way this sort of a character can stop being so insecure is if she loses this constant fear that this time it will last forever or not ??
Time will tell I guess ...

Hope , just now I found out that Savita has won the best saas award . After this I don't think there is any point to argue about anything  any more ...LOL

Edited by Tanyaz - 19 December 2010 at 9:46am

LuvSSever--Hope--

--Hope-- IF-Rockerz
--Hope--
--Hope--

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tanyaz

Hope all your answers to my post are 100 % right .No dispute whatsoever .
This kind of love is not right ....Period .

This is not even love yaar , some sort of obsession ..Just like Sulochan said ' Aisa kya hai is aadmi mey that you have gone nuts ' .
She has totally lost it .I really think the main reason for her accepting his sindoor filling and his engagment while he  is still married to her was because mainly as she wanted his respect and his love back ...she wanted to win his trust again .And somewhere little bit there is a guilt feeling that her family has made him and his family suffer so much ...

Hope , just now I found out that Savita has won the best saas award . After this I don't think there is any point to argue about anything  any more ...LOL

arre tanyadi

amma from pratigya won best saas award too
seems people in India reward torturous MILsLOLLOLLOL

you know i could never figure out what archu and shravani say in Manav?

if jaywant or satish had womenc hasing them then chalo you can believe it but Manav

he is poor, comes from a very uncultured background, lives in a chawl with no water sometimes, has no friends,  is a total mama's chela - like what si there to love forget being obsessed about this dude eh?

is he the trophy husband or what?

these two silly girls were fighting over him like he had been named "Sexiest Man of the Year" or somethingLOLLOLLOL

If it had been me, I would have given him an ultimatum and then walked out.

if he decided to come back then fine if not - too bad so sad.

she stayed like an aya in that house for three months. Oh I was so mad with her then.

arre if rasika throws savita in jail then fine. savita deserved it for not allowingher to finish her trial period in the house

then sleeping in the kitchen. excuse me. if I sleep I sleep in my marital room if not I am moving out and you go to jail bas

what say eh?

no crap from anyone.

LuvSSeverTanyaz

Tanyaz IF-Stunnerz
Tanyaz
Tanyaz

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged
I think Shravani was fighting more for the challenge of beating Archana .She even said once that she will fight till the end .I am not saying she didn't care for Manav .She did and she respected him a lot .But it was more of a girl who wanted to fight for her rights then fight  for the man ..If she really loved him then she would have given him up long long time ago and though he used to cry all the time in front of her , she would still hold on to the challenge .
It was only in the end when she realized that this is one stubborn man and if he is saying that he will never stop loving his ex wife then he won't . She left him in the end for herself also .She wanted to be loved the way Sachin loved her .
Savita was largely responsible for misleading her .

LuvSSever--Hope--

Tanyaz IF-Stunnerz
Tanyaz
Tanyaz

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged

sorry , wrong topic .

Edited by Tanyaz - 19 December 2010 at 11:26am

Go to top