Pakistani Serials

DOTW: Escapism & Realism - Page 2

farahs_6 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
This content was originally posted by: seert

Your welcome Usman :)
Interesting, I didn't know about the whole channel bit since I don't get those but how is Ptv? I mean for a long time now that was Pakistan's main channel and they've shown some very good stuff. Has it gone all bad now though?

And yep I like how Pak dramas are all very realistic but they all depict a different thread of Pakistan. As you yourself gave examples, all those shows are made on different subjects whoever realism is the main theme. And I think it's pretty much the main theme in all (good) Pak dramas. I remember the old ones like the ones by Haseena Moin or some others in the 80s and 90s...they were all so entertaining and yet realistic. I don't think one needs to compromise on entertainment while showing realism.

P.S. I heard Haseena Moin has gone all cuckoo now and she writes those never ending saas bahu sagas? It's a shame.

@bold..... No... Haseena Moin has not written any never ending saas bahu sagas, not in my knowledge atleast......She had written 1-2  serials few yrs ago, but were not such hits.... and she hasnt written for some time now.....I've seen some interviews of hers, and she wasnt soo happy with the directors and actors.. She said these days they donot implement and interpret things, the way it was done..earlier..but her those serials were in the time period, when Pakistani drama industry had a downfall, and generally those days, mostly serials had great influence of indian dramas... In last 3-4 yrs, our television industry has picked up again......so i hope she writes something fabulous again...

Farah

Farah
Edited by farahs_6 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

serendipity. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
@Usman: Post the topics... lets see...
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: -_AfridiMalik_-

@Usman: Post the topics... lets see...

1) Future of Lollywood
2) Reality Shows in Pakistan..
serendipity. thumbnail
the 2nd 1 is AWESOME! *claps*
Annu.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

it seems like Pakistani writers do know how to depict realism in fictions.. this mentality of anything can be shown in the name of fiction, does not exist here atleast.. 

we viewers have got so used to watching realistic serials that if anything comes on TV which is far from realism never captures our attention.. so for the acceptance of his/her work from the general audience, a writer is bound to show reality in the serial.. A big credit goes to our seasoned actors also who refused to be the part of daily soaps and indian style dramas some yrs ago..

Yes I believe Pakistani tv went through some dark ages a few years ago and that is when I used to get those channels. At first I was quite excited to see Pakistani dramas because I have loved all the old classics like Aagan Tehra, Family Front (a bit different but nevertheless very funny and entertaining), Alpha Bravo Charlie, Dhoop Kinarey, Uncle Urfi, Ankahi, Tanhaiyaan, Nangay Paon, and many more. Howveer I got very disheartened after seeing the crap they were dishing out. I guess Indian tv serials became really popular and they wanted to follow that trend but they seriosuly failed at that and lost their own identity. I remember reading an old Imran Abbas interview wherein he talked about the same thing but thankfully it's gotten back to the realism theme although that's not to say that the current dramas are as excellent as the good, old ones but I think we're getting there. In recent times, I'd say Meri Zaat Zarra-e-Bainishan and Dastaan are the only ones that could match the glory of the old days. Indeed I still haven't seen Meri Zaat but I've heard sooo much about it from all sorts of people so I know it's good and I also know the concept. Dastaan is one drama that I can go on and on about so I don't think I need to get into that but the show was brilliant!
I really hope PTV gets back to its good old days...I mean I guess when you're trying new things you do tend to fail so maybe that was just it? Nonetheless I hope it gets back on its feet and shows some good work.

And like Usman said, the dialogues have a very important role in this whole realism aspect. They really sound like something you could expect those characters to say and lines that you can relate to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they speak like we do or how we would if we were those characters, and again those characters are an extension of Pakistan's reality. Moreover, I like how the dialogues along with the acting convey so much...we don't need any stupid duppattas, eye locks or innumerable hugs to establish any chemistry. Hassan and Bano were a very romantic couple but it was basically their acting, direction and the heart wrenching dialogues that created those emotions.

Farah: Really she didn't? I heard she wrote a few that were a bit like those saas bahu shows or at least not like the ones she used to write before. If it's the latter then I guess she was trying to experiment or adapt to the new ways as was the rest of Pakistani tv. However I'd like to see more of her old type of work b/c those were true classics. I think you're right about her criticizing the new trend though b/c I remember some LSA where she was onstage with Humayun Saeed and he asked her the difference between the old dramas and the new ones. Her reply was that nowadays dramas seem to be dropping from trees without any good story whereas before they were well thought out plays.

Anu, you're right in saying that we ourselves expect to see a certain amount of realism in the shows...but I don't think we'd reject something that's based on a lot of escapism. I mean Dolly Ki Ayegi Baraat did good and while it was realistic to an extent, I think mostly it was just sheer entertainment. Hence it's not like we'd reject something that's not on some real life issue...it's just that we won't accept something that's totally absurd and 'outlandish'.

Moving on, guys what about escapism? I mean we've basically focused on the realism aspect but come on Pakistani dramas do have escapism in them although maybe not a lot. But still there's a fair amount, isn't there?
farahs_6 thumbnail
Seert: Atleast i havent seen or heard abt any of her indian style dramas.....She, for sure hasnt written any soap...thats one thing, i am almost sure abt... But yeah cant say abt the direction...Infact she had writen one or two serials, which were like old drama serials of hers, like  a family play with a comic touch in it, but the magic wasnt there......but as i told u, it was in a time, in which our plays were really going through a downfall...so the acting and direction wasnt upto the mark...so couldnt create that magic again, which Haseena Moin also complained in her interviews.....I had watched one or two epis of tht serial.... I cant remember its name....It had Shamil Khan in it....But then left watching it.....But i think few months ago, Hasena Moin came on Morning with Hum with Sana Tariq and a question was asked abt her typical shokh and chulbuli heroine...which was so famous and her trademark..so she said something like...yes she would write again on tht girl, bcoz its the necessity of time also, tht there is soo much depression around us everywhere, tht we need something of tht sort again...

Farah
serendipity. thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: farahs_6

Seert: Atleast i havent seen or heard abt any of her indian style dramas.....She, for sure hasnt written any soap...thats one thing, i am almost sure abt... But yeah cant say abt the direction...Infact she had writen one or two serials, which were like old drama serials of hers, like  a family play with a comic touch in it, but the magic wasnt there......but as i told u, it was in a time, in which our plays were really going through a downfall...so the acting and direction wasnt upto the mark...so couldnt create that magic again, which Haseena Moin also complained in her interviews.....I had watched one or two epis of tht serial.... I cant remember its name....It had Shamil Khan in it....But then left watching it.....But i think few months ago, Hasena Moin came on Morning with Hum with Sana Tariq and a question was asked abt her typical shokh and chulbuli heroine...which was so famous and her trademark..so she said something like...yes she would write again on tht girl, bcoz its the necessity of time also, tht there is soo much depression around us everywhere, tht we need something of tht sort again...

Farah

@large|red|bold: Farah_6, i dunno if ur talking about a particular writer, but im sorry, there was a point pakistan's tellywood was going nowhere!
Shows like Tere Pehloo main & Mehndi wale haath haunted our drama industry [im sorry from the bottom of my heart if i have offended any fans 😳].
These shows were a photocopy of Indian serials, exclude MWH fr a sec.
Safaid posh... n all these long running shows were n are a headache. A drama is something which shud have an end. But these immortalities kill the viewers but not the characters and/or producers.
BUT, yet again, the poor producers had no choice!
I mean ppl in Pak watchd all Star Plus n Indian serials so they thot thts wat r ppl like and so to fullfill their reqmnt, serials like these were produced. I actually think TPM has a whole lot of guts that its still running 🀣. Its high time they stop the serial, or else theyll be forced to stop it! πŸ˜† LMAO!
anyways, disagree-ers can always debate 😊 ur free 2 do so :) Not askin u 2 keep out! :) cm on n prove ur point πŸ˜ƒ
farahs_6 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: -_AfridiMalik_-

@large|red|bold: Farah_6, i dunno if ur talking about a particular writer, but im sorry, there was a point pakistan's tellywood was going nowhere!
Shows like Tere Pehloo main & Mehndi wale haath haunted our drama industry [im sorry from the bottom of my heart if i have offended any fans 😳].
These shows were a photocopy of Indian serials, exclude MWH fr a sec.
Safaid posh... n all these long running shows were n are a headache. A drama is something which shud have an end. But these immortalities kill the viewers but not the characters and/or producers.
BUT, yet again, the poor producers had no choice!
I mean ppl in Pak watchd all Star Plus n Indian serials so they thot thts wat r ppl like and so to fullfill their reqmnt, serials like these were produced. I actually think TPM has a whole lot of guts that its still running 🀣. Its high time they stop the serial, or else theyll be forced to stop it! πŸ˜† LMAO!
anyways, disagree-ers can always debate 😊 ur free 2 do so :) Not askin u 2 keep out! :) cm on n prove ur point πŸ˜ƒ

Oh, i was only talking abt Haseena Moin....tht i dont think so, she has written any of star plus style dramas... I only talked abt Haseena Moin here... Yeah definitely there was a time, when a lot of influence on our dramas, was of Star Plus ...Few yrs back, there was a downfall of our dramas, due to the great influence f indian serials..and some ppl still copy those serials...Yeah u r right tht tere pehlu mein and mehendi waley hath are prime examples of such indian influenced serials...and tere pehlu mein...is still runningπŸ₯±...dont know who watches it?πŸ₯±

Farah
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
other tere pehloo mein.. yeh zindagi hai and yeh kaisi muhabbat hai.. are also running from quite a long time now.. anyone watch these shows..

and yes, dil dard dhuan on ARY.. its also on air from quite a long time..