Sex.Direction

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged

Hey =]

So I never come on this forum
But. im taking SATs soon and i need some help

1.) Whats a goo score in your opinion
2.) What was yours [if you wanna share]
3.) Hows the ACT different, besides the fact is has science
4.) What if don't know chemistry and want to take ACT?
5.) Which one is better

Thaaanks Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "SAT and ACT" in College & University forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Asha004

IF-Rockerz

Asha004

Posted: 25 December 2010 at 9:16pm | IP Logged

1.) Whats a good score in your opinion Well, the average score is about a 1500 so somewhere at/above 1600-1700 is a pretty good score
2.) What was yours [if you wanna share] The first time I got exactly 1800, but when I took it again I got a 1960
3.) Hows the ACT different, besides the fact is has science It has exactly 4 sections (5 including the writing section) compared to the 10 sections on the SAT.Also the essay section is last on the ACT.They don't deduct points for wrong answers, so answer every question if possible
4.) What if don't know chemistry and want to take ACT? Well, not just for the ACT,but chemistry is an important subject to take in general and would benefit you in life,so I suggest taking it ;) The science section on the ACT has experimental data and charts/tables (similar to analysis on reading comprehension section) so as long as you have some background on the subject (physics/earth science/bio/chem) and know how to analyze/interpret scientific data and experiments/trends, you should be good :)
5.) Which one is better West coast colleges usually consider SAT, while East coast ones usually prefer ACT, but I would take BOTH...but the SAT is usually regarded as superior to the ACT. Good luck!!Wink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Sex.Direction

a5abeegirl389

a5abeegirl389

Posted: 02 March 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged
Hey!! 

I remember taking both the ACT and the SAT, you are going through a tough time period, but I'm sure you will do well. 

You obviously want to go to college hence you are going to be taking the standardized test. As far as a good score is concerned, due to the competitiveness of students in the United States, a score of an 1800 is base minimum, TYPICALLY. That doesn't mean if you get below an 1800 you won't go to college, but you will have to make yourself stand out whether it be through activities or your essays. 

I remember I got a 2170 and I went to CAL, graduating this year...GO Bears!  I also took the ACT and got a 31 (out of a 36)

The ACT and SAT are quite different. The ACT is much more geared towards students who want to go in to Engineering, science, math, physics and more tech fields whereas the SAT is a test that has been around to gage the normal students transition into college. 

The reason you even take the tests is so that the colleges can know how you will supposedly do in college. The score shows the kinds of grades you will be getting in college. Is that actually true? Not really, my cousin got a 1620 on her SAT went to UC Davis and currently has a 3.7 gpa...

Before taking the SAT and ACT know that the ACT requires you to take a higher level of math because it tests you up to Algebra II and Trig. The SAT doesn't usually go beyond geometry.

The science section of the ACT doesn't require you to know chemistry per-say,  but you should know the first 20 elements of the Periodic Table of Elements, and you need to know how to read and gage charts and conversion tables and graphs and such. You should also know simple scientific math formulas like Density=Mass /Volume, Work=Force X Distance. ACT science is more physical science than conceptual. 

This probably seems like a lot to take in, but know that you will do great as long as you keep taking practice tests and keep yourself prepared by reading current events and going to the college board website for the word of the day (they really do help!)

Depending on what you want to do, Science/Math/Tech field, you should take the ACT, if you are on the West Coast, they will take the ACT. 

If you want to go into an "Artsy" field or Social Sciences, Liberal Arts, then you should take the SAT. Another thing you can do is take the SAT and then take the SAT II in math and science. 

Hope that helps, and good luck! 

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.