Debate Mansion

Mujhe Kuch Tumse Hai Kehna (Page 96)

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

Lol feel free to jump in..

Actually I've noticed that Pakistani/Indian Muslims are usually quite good when it comes to the no drinking rule. I think uni was the first time I ever came across Muslims that drink (publicly anyway) and they were mostly from places like Egypt and Morocco.
Haha yeah most of my high school education was spent at a Catholic school and we had a lot of Irish teachers and yes, they LOVE their drinks. Althought I do remember my Religious Education teacher talking about how certain sects drink Ribena instead of wine? Lol

I used to find the concept of body and blood and bread and wine very interesting until that same teacher told us how in Church when they pass the glass of wine around then some people backwash. :| ever since then the whole concept and symbolism puts me off.

Actually, I've noticed that many desi Muslims are more liberal at home than abroad. I think when one is away from home, there is a deeper sense of urgency to be more rooted in culture and follow some old fashioned traditions. It is the case with many desis where people back home especially in cities get more and more liberal, while the ones abroad hold onto their traditions more strongly. BOCTAE.

The bread and wine concept always bothered me, not because of the backwash - because when the symbolism was explained to me - it always appeared to me to be some form of symbolic cannibalism. I mean the bread is the body and the blood is the wine....you consume symbolic blood and body.....it bothers me. I'm sure proper Catholics interpret it differently.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

xobile

return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

BTW thank you RTH for the great xmas present. Merry xmas! Hug

Aww you are welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it and did not think it was childish. Hug

I guess we should wish Debayon and OBJ Happy Festivus since they are atheistic.

Happy Festivus to the atheist, seculars and Seinfeld fans especially. Big smile
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Actually I've noticed that Pakistani/Indian Muslims are usually quite good when it comes to the no drinking rule. I think uni was the first time I ever came across Muslims that drink (publicly anyway) and they were mostly from places like Egypt and Morocco.
Haha yeah most of my high school education was spent at a Catholic school and we had a lot of Irish teachers and yes, they LOVE their drinks. Althought I do remember my Religious Education teacher talking about how certain sects drink Ribena instead of wine? Lol

I used to find the concept of body and blood and bread and wine very interesting until that same teacher told us how in Church when they pass the glass of wine around then some people backwash. :| ever since then the whole concept and symbolism puts me off.

Actually, I've noticed that many desi Muslims are more liberal at home than abroad. I think when one is away from home, there is a deeper sense of urgency to be more rooted in culture and follow some old fashioned traditions. It is the case with many desis where people back home especially in cities get more and more liberal, while the ones abroad hold onto their traditions more strongly. BOCTAE.

The bread and wine concept always bothered me, not because of the backwash - because when the symbolism was explained to me - it always appeared to me to be some form of symbolic cannibalism. I mean the bread is the body and the blood is the wine....you consume symbolic blood and body.....it bothers me. I'm sure proper Catholics interpret it differently.

Yes when I first arrived in London I was really bothered by how people stuck to their Indian-ness. But I guess they have to keep hold of their heritage and traditions otherwise they would lose it all, whereas those who are in India can take everything for granted.

What is BOCTAE?

And yeah, that does seem very cannibalistic. Confused
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged

BTW thank you RTH for the great xmas present. Merry xmas! Hug

Aww you are welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it and did not think it was childish. Hug

I guess we should wish Debayon and OBJ Happy Festivus since they are atheistic.

Happy Festivus to the atheist, seculars and Seinfeld fans especially. Big smile

Haha yeah, Happy Fetivus (i dunno what that is) guys!

return_to_hades

return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged

What is BOCTAE?

BOCTAE = But of course there are exceptions.

Finally someone else who sees it as weirdly cannibalistic. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but its always baffled me. Confused
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged

What is BOCTAE?

BOCTAE = But of course there are exceptions.

Finally someone else who sees it as weirdly cannibalistic. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but its always baffled me. Confused

I'm sure it's a cultural thing. We once read a short story in english literature which described a grain of wheat as a person draped in a huge shawl. :s
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged

Yes when I first arrived in London I was really bothered by how people stuck to their Indian-ness. But I guess they have to keep hold of their heritage and traditions otherwise they would lose it all, whereas those who are in India can take everything for granted.

What is BOCTAE?

It depends what part of London you go to as well though. You'll find the typical desi that can be really in your face and you'll find the coconuts that refuse to acknowledge that they're desi and will do anything to prove that they're as white as can be. It can be hard to find a mix of the two.

Btw Xo, how old were you when you moved here?

@Sarina: I was having this convo with my mum the other day about how if you go to weddings in India these days then you'll find a lot of the youngsters wearing jeans and a top or a dress. That to me is like OMG what is wrong with you?! lol over here at a desi wedding, the only time you expect to see anyone in a dress is if the guests are not Indian/Desi and even then, they still make an effort or if it's the civil ceremony. So pretty much everyone is expected to turn up in traditional clothing so that came as a huge shock to me. Another thing I noticed with my friends that are from south is that the rules there seem so much stricter. They're not allowed to go out with a skirt on or wear shorts or a dress for that matter.
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 23 December 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged
Where is Debu lately? He made me his sister and then went gayab!

glace-bleue

Go to top