Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

I have a couple of Muslim friends that drink too so yeah, maybe Shibby is but he still seems desi to me?

Just jumping in on your conversations.

All my Muslim friends in India would drink. So much so that I thought that "not drinking" is a guideline. Heck even the Bible says don't drink, but see the Catholics, especially the Irish Catholics. Learn from them.

Theres a couple of Muslims in our business school who come out for drinks regularly.

xobile thumbnail

Aww I thought Alex was such a sweet guy!
Ah my wednesdays are no longer the same with no Apprentice :( there's no Chris to drool at either lol..his blue eyes were hypnotising!

I have a couple of Muslim friends that drink too so yeah, maybe Shibby is but he still seems desi to me?

Sweet like a fruitcake 😆

Yeah - Wednesdays come and go now... what with none of the sadistic pleasure of seeing someone get fired.

Shibby's eyes and skin tone seem very Iranian/nondesi to me.

What do you think RTH? Desi or non desi?

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Just jumping in on your conversations.

All my Muslim friends in India would drink. So much so that I thought that "not drinking" is a guideline. Heck even the Bible says don't drink, but see the Catholics, especially the Irish Catholics. Learn from them.

Theres a couple of Muslims in our business school who come out for drinks regularly.

Lol feel free to jump in..

Actually I've noticed that Pakistani/Indian Muslims are usually quite good when it comes to the no drinking rule. I think uni was the first time I ever came across Muslims that drink (publicly anyway) and they were mostly from places like Egypt and Morocco.
Haha yeah most of my high school education was spent at a Catholic school and we had a lot of Irish teachers and yes, they LOVE their drinks. Althought I do remember my Religious Education teacher talking about how certain sects drink Ribena instead of wine? Lol

I used to find the concept of body and blood and bread and wine very interesting until that same teacher told us how in Church when they pass the glass of wine around then some people backwash. :| ever since then the whole concept and symbolism puts me off.
Originally posted by: xobile

What do you think RTH? Desi or non desi?

Desi ears and eyebrows.

But the eyes and jawline make you wonder. He could be desi or could be Persian/Turkish. Eyes are more Persian.

But don't trust me, I failed They all look the same test.
I never pictured Dr. Oz to be Turkish. How ignorant I was.

Or that she is Muslim...and they made a big deal on Sania. At least Dinara was number one for a bit

The Black Muslims and Tartar/Slavic Muslims are an interesting culture.
xobile thumbnail

Yeah I find Shibby's eyebrows very nondesi too. They seem Iranian coz theyre so curved. Desi eyebrows are usually flatter. But yeah, the eyes are very Iranian.

xobile thumbnail

I never pictured Dr. Oz to be Turkish. How ignorant I was.

Or that she is Muslim...and they made a big deal on Sania. At least Dinara was number one for a bit

The Black Muslims and Tartar/Slavic Muslims are an interesting culture.

Yeah never would have guessed their cultural backgrounds!

BTW thank you RTH for the great xmas present. Merry xmas! 🤗

Lol feel free to jump in..

Actually I've noticed that Pakistani/Indian Muslims are usually quite good when it comes to the no drinking rule. I think uni was the first time I ever came across Muslims that drink (publicly anyway) and they were mostly from places like Egypt and Morocco.
Haha yeah most of my high school education was spent at a Catholic school and we had a lot of Irish teachers and yes, they LOVE their drinks. Althought I do remember my Religious Education teacher talking about how certain sects drink Ribena instead of wine? Lol

I used to find the concept of body and blood and bread and wine very interesting until that same teacher told us how in Church when they pass the glass of wine around then some people backwash. :| ever since then the whole concept and symbolism puts me off.

Actually, I've noticed that many desi Muslims are more liberal at home than abroad. I think when one is away from home, there is a deeper sense of urgency to be more rooted in culture and follow some old fashioned traditions. It is the case with many desis where people back home especially in cities get more and more liberal, while the ones abroad hold onto their traditions more strongly. BOCTAE.

The bread and wine concept always bothered me, not because of the backwash - because when the symbolism was explained to me - it always appeared to me to be some form of symbolic cannibalism. I mean the bread is the body and the blood is the wine....you consume symbolic blood and body.....it bothers me. I'm sure proper Catholics interpret it differently.
Originally posted by: xobile

BTW thank you RTH for the great xmas present. Merry xmas! 🤗

Aww you are welcome. I am glad you enjoyed it and did not think it was childish. 🤗

I guess we should wish Debayon and OBJ Happy Festivus since they are atheistic.

Happy Festivus to the atheist, seculars and Seinfeld fans especially. 😃
xobile thumbnail

Actually, I've noticed that many desi Muslims are more liberal at home than abroad. I think when one is away from home, there is a deeper sense of urgency to be more rooted in culture and follow some old fashioned traditions. It is the case with many desis where people back home especially in cities get more and more liberal, while the ones abroad hold onto their traditions more strongly. BOCTAE.

The bread and wine concept always bothered me, not because of the backwash - because when the symbolism was explained to me - it always appeared to me to be some form of symbolic cannibalism. I mean the bread is the body and the blood is the wine....you consume symbolic blood and body.....it bothers me. I'm sure proper Catholics interpret it differently.

Yes when I first arrived in London I was really bothered by how people stuck to their Indian-ness. But I guess they have to keep hold of their heritage and traditions otherwise they would lose it all, whereas those who are in India can take everything for granted.

What is BOCTAE?

And yeah, that does seem very cannibalistic. 😕