Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Sheila ki jawani is not music-Jagjit (Page 5)

ankit_nyc IF-Rockerz
ankit_nyc
ankit_nyc

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 9:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by xobile

Originally posted by ankit_nyc

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

It's good to hear someone speak up about it.

I won't deny that the song is annoyingly catchy but there's no real musical talent. Real music is like the songs from Pardes, DDLJ, DTPH etc.

Tongue arey haila tum yaha.............Swagat hein..........Tongue As far as music goes, it comes down to preference.......Here in the states people malign rap/hip-hop as being ghetto and not real music and yet others think Rock/roll is not real music but just noise..........People who don't like heavy metal say that's just noise and not music.........who's to say who's right and who's wrong? Jagjit's gazals weren't a big hit with everyone, many people think gazals are nothing but glorified whining........Are they wrong? who says they are wrong? Are they not allowed to have their preferences? Tongue  I love gazals, but I love munni badnaam hui songs as well.........I don't understand why there has to be a choice........why can't there be all different kinds of music and people can listen to what they want.........why should any kind of music be banned or not allowed to be made? Tongue 

Quite right. Jagjit Singh does not like item songs - fair enough. Unlike the 'today's music/yesterday's music' dichotomy being presented by him, there is lots of classical and light classical music available out there. If he wants, he can comfortably buy the CD's he likes. It's his preference and his choice.

But it's mindless of him to try to rationalise the matter and to malign item songs as 'not music' as if it's a matter of fact. It's a matter of choice.

very well said..........it's a matter of choice..........no one is forcing anyone to like any particular song........Smile People are saying how much they like gazals, but come on gazals don't do a lot of business these days.........jagjit can't even sell out his concerts in NY anymore.......I mean if people love gazals so much  then why don't they go out and support the gazal singers out there by buying their CD's and going to their concerts? Tongue People who like Munni badnaam hui and SKJ are surely supporting their kind of music by buying up CD's and dancing to these tunes are parties etc.........Business hein, the MD's will give people what they want, if gazal lovers outnumber others then they too will get what they want from MD's........Smile

Edited by ankit_nyc - 18 December 2010 at 9:25am

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged

It's good to hear someone speak up about it.

I won't deny that the song is annoyingly catchy but there's no real musical talent. Real music is like the songs from Pardes, DDLJ, DTPH etc.

Tongue arey haila tum yaha.............Swagat hein..........Tongue As far as music goes, it comes down to preference.......Here in the states people malign rap/hip-hop as being ghetto and not real music and yet others think Rock/roll is not real music but just noise..........People who don't like heavy metal say that's just noise and not music.........who's to say who's right and who's wrong? Jagjit's gazals weren't a big hit with everyone, many people think gazals are nothing but glorified whining........Are they wrong? who says they are wrong? Are they not allowed to have their preferences? Tongue 

Kya karo? Itni dair aapse door nahi reh saktiWinkLOL
No doubt everyone's choice is different when it comes to music but I don't think it takes much musical talent to sing a song like Sheila Ki Jawani in comparison to a classic like 'Nahin Hona Tha' from Pardes. That's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. A song like Sheila Ki Jawani will be forgotten in a couple of months whereas Nahin Hona Tha is a classic that won't be forgotten so easily. Chaiya Chaiya was also considered to be an 'item number' by Malaika Arora yet the song is so much better in every aspect compared to SKJ. 

Oh and i've always thought rock music is noise. It hurts my ears. Hip-hop any day! I don't deny that there are very few songs in hip-hop that actually have good lyrics. Rap on the other hand has some great songs, and tend to be more meaningful. Just take a listen to 'Where is the love?' by Black Eyed Peas and you'll know what I mean.

How have you been Ankit? Will you be watching DID doubles?

Tongue I am great..........yess am looking forward to DID doubles..........no Terrence, all Geeta Ma all the time..........Tongue It's going to be the finest DID season till date let me tell you........Big smile okay as far as Pardes song goes, I am sure lot of people forgot it already........you didn't because you connected with it............same goes for munni badnaam hui or SKJ........people who connect with these songs won't forget them either........just like mehbooba mehbooba from Sholay........people still remember that song.......Tongue Waise I would have never guessed that you're in to Rap and Hip Hop.........DID mein Terrence ki fan thi, and let's face it his style of dancing doesn't lend to Hip Hop.....Tongue oye suno iis season chalo dono saath saath Geeta Ma ki team ko support karenge........pakka Tongue

LOLAnkit beta tum kabhi nahi sudhrogeLOL
If Geeta's contestants are good then yeah I have no harm in supporting her. No doubt I will miss Terence this time round. :( It just won't be the same without him.
I'm not sure it's about people connecting with SKJ, it's more about the catchy lyrics. 'I'm too sexy for you'..I mean seriously? That's just pathetic. Beedi Jalaile was a much better item number, or even Kajra Re.

What makes you think Terence isn't in to Hip Hop? Did you forget Shakti's audition song?Wink
'I'm telling you loosen up my buttons baby'TongueI'm sure Terence would've given her some sort of advice on her song choice seeing as he was her dance guru.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ankit_nyc-Aaliyah-

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged
Ankit no doubt those songs will be played at every New Year's Eve party this year but a song doesn't have to be a great song for a DJ to play it at a rave or whatever. It just needs to be a tune with a fast beat and a song with catchy lyrics that anyone can pick up and dance to. 

As a matter of fact, even my dance group are dancing to it next term.

There's no question regarding business hai ki nahi, the question is talent hai ya nahi lol
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 9:41am | IP Logged

Ankit no doubt those songs will be played at every New Year's Eve party this year but a song doesn't have to be a great song for a DJ to play it at a rave or whatever. It just needs to be a tune with a fast beat and a song with catchy lyrics that anyone can pick up and dance to. 

As a matter of fact, even my dance group are dancing to it next term.

There's no question regarding business hai ki nahi, the question is talent hai ya nahi lol

Yeah but calling something a 'great song' is subjective.

And Sunidhi's singing is absolutely fantastic in SKJ. You may not like it, but vocally/technically it's a very strong performance.
AkhMastani Senior Member
AkhMastani
AkhMastani

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged
If someone makes ghazals more popular than item songs like these, then it will be one person.... Ranjeet Rajwada!
HakkaBakka Goldie

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 11:47am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
ankit_nyc IF-Rockerz
ankit_nyc
ankit_nyc

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 1:47pm | IP Logged
Smilearey yess......party mein log bhala which songs pein dance karenge if all that we have in the industry are gazals? imagine dancing to "tumko dekha to yeh khayal aaya" aur "aadmi, aadmi ko kya dega"..........Thank god munni badnaam ho gayi  to give us something to dance to at parties.......kisi ek ko to badnaam hona hi tha, so thank goodness for Munni...........Tongue
ZoobiDoobi IF-Addictz
ZoobiDoobi
ZoobiDoobi

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged
i agree with jagjit ji. i mean these r good songs but only for the films and time being.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rajucole

Go to top