Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

India-Forums

Sheila ki jawani is not music-Jagjit (Page 3)

ankit_nyc IF-Rockerz
ankit_nyc
ankit_nyc

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged
Tongue and his point about not listening to munni badnaam hui songs or sheila ki jawani songs with the family is utter nonsense............every single party involving Indians will have kids dancing to  these songs in the coming months........I won't see many parents objecting to it either, in fact many will pay good amount of money to dance teachers to teach their kids how to dance to these kind of songs.......how many parents still listen to jagjit's gazals regularly? I mean which world is he living in? Music is all about emotions, and I am sorry gazals are fine for certain kinds of situation but it would be awfully boring to just listen to gazals all day long.......Tongue Music should cheer people up, and what's wrong with these songs if they cheer people up? Tongue

HakkaBakka Goldie

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aaliyah-

-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by HakkaBakka

So what, Jagjit singh's ghazal have also never been pure ghazal. His ghazal has been ghazal with very little classical touch. His ghazal has been popular because it is more filmy and simple and listener could connect it well because of filmy touch. Jagjit Singh can not sing a pure ghazal with heavily classical touch.

These two songs are item numbers but they are composed for entertainment, not to be measured on classical singing meter.

I've always enjoyed Mendhi Hassan's and Ghulam Ali Sahab's ghazals more than Jagjit Singh's ghazals
xobile IF-Rockerz
xobile
xobile

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged

Jagjit Singh is right in saying that item songs are popular to a great extent because of the picturisation. And it is also true that new item songs keep cropping up and replace the old item numbers. The film industry is heavily dependent on music to pull in the audience and these days one of the most common ways of consuming music is in nightclubs and parties, so of course more and more dance/party songs will be churned out as adverts for films.

BUT it is completely illogical to say that therefore these songs are bad music. In fact, the huge competition in the market for item songs is pushing music directors to come up with more innovative songs. I'm sure if there were five new ghazals released every month, even Jagjit Singh would have to use 'gimmicks' like picturisation and choreography to get ahead in the market. And then the next month, people would move on to the newest ghazal. That's just how the market works, it's got nothing to do with the quality of music being produced. And it definitely doesn't mean that item songs are not music.

Edited by xobile - 17 December 2010 at 3:07pm
-Aaliyah- IF-Sizzlerz
-Aaliyah-
-Aaliyah-

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 3:05pm | IP Logged
I can't properly explain my views cause I love both type of songs Confused
tulipbaby53 IF-Stunnerz
tulipbaby53
tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged
I actually like Munni Badnaam Hui LOL It's a fun song, but I don't really like "Sheila Ki Jawani" that much.  I mean, times are different now, and JS and many others need to accept that. The MDs and singers are a product of the public, and if the public enjoys this, what's the harm? Anyways, I don't think it's right that he's say this is not music because it is. I would like to know what he exactly defines as "music". Music can be anything. What is music is a question that has been debated on for may years all over the world. As long as people are happy and finding enjoyment, and they're not harming anyone, it's okay. Let people be people and don't judge.

-Aaliyah-

mdroy Goldie
mdroy
mdroy

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged
I am sorry to say that so many of the songs put out today don't really have staying power.  I love all kind of music and I don't dismiss music just because it is popular but how many recent songs are timeless, or as we say in the US, an instant classic?  I just heard O Majhi Re and if it was released today, it would be a hit.  Putting a hip hop beat and some English lyrics does not make a song an instant classic in my mind.  

As for Jagjit Singh, this guy had a long streak of hits with ghazals which at the time were sort of avant garde and not ghazals in the traditional sense.  So he is someone who really did have several songs which seemed to be instant classics and really are enduring classics a generation later.

I hear a lot of new songs that are nice but I hear a lot of songs that really are forgettable and in fact will be forgotten in a decade.

Dabulls23

ThatOneGuy IF-Sizzlerz
ThatOneGuy
ThatOneGuy

Posted: 17 December 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged
Sheila ki Jawani is definitely not music....After superhit albums with Dostana, IHLS, Anjaana Anjaani, this wasn't expected from Vishal-Shekhar...

TMK probably their worst album in recent years...oh well Wallah re Wallah is a good song Tongue

Go to top