Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MrsBellamyBlake thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: LadyMacbeth

The same question goes for u ,cause no body in his right mind could like Ron. Lol.πŸ˜†

Then I dont have any mind, coz I am in love with Ron ...

Anyways, its your choice to hate Ron and it is our choice to love him ...
LadyMacbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
I don't hate Ron. πŸ˜† Why should I ? Actually I never bothered 2 think about Ron. 
vishnukumar7 thumbnail
nothing like voting them...nothing exciting...
@vishnukumar7 Hey Newbie.....don't interfere with your own theories right now........guys, continue.
Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Lol I was pleasantly surprised to see that Ron and Hermione were leading by a comfortable margin over any other pair, when I went over to vote. And then I added my own 2 Knuts to the voting machine ofcourse.

Ron as a comic interlude in the movies. Sure. In the books? Nopes. JKR spent quite a lot of time in developing his character and especially in bringing out his insecurities, especially in the last 2 books. Sometimes, I feel Hermione's character development and "special" moments are compromised but not Ron's. Never Ron's.

Ron's Horcrux-destroying moment got a whole chapter in the last book.And JKR made it into a really dramatic, emotional moment where Harry "I-am-so-unused-to-physical-displays-of-affection" Potter actually hugs Ron.  Hermione's was only mentioned in passing. The whole of the Lavender Brown saga in HBP was done so that Ron could be worthy of Hermione. So that Ron's insecurities and problems could be given more air.

The good thing about the movies trying to follow the books is that they have to show Ron even though the movie people would much like to ignore him.

And I am a Hermione-fan more than a Ron fan, so there!
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Eloquent

Lol I was pleasantly surprised to see that Ron and Hermione were leading by a comfortable margin over any other pair, when I went over to vote. And then I added my own 2 Knuts to the voting machine ofcourse.

Ron as a comic interlude in the movies. Sure. In the books? Nopes. JKR spent quite a lot of time in developing his character and especially in bringing out his insecurities, especially in the last 2 books. Sometimes, I feel Hermione's character development and "special" moments are compromised but not Ron's. Never Ron's.

Ron's Horcrux-destroying moment got a whole chapter in the last book.And JKR made it into a really dramatic, emotional moment where Harry "I-am-so-unused-to-physical-displays-of-affection" Potter actually hugs Ron.  Hermione's was only mentioned in passing. The whole of the Lavender Brown saga in HBP was done so that Ron could be worthy of Hermione. So that Ron's insecurities and problems could be given more air.

The good thing about the movies trying to follow the books is that they have to show Ron even though the movie people would much like to ignore him.

And I am a Hermione-fan more than a Ron fan, so there!

Word, Eloquent, word! I missed you here so hi there! 😳

I so agree with everything you said. JKR actually focused a LOT on Ron's character and his groW*H. I just wished she did the same for Hermione. A lot people still have the notion that Hermione is this 'perfect' girl when she does have her share of insecurities. I would have liked JKR to show us her Horcrux moment just so that everyone could understand her better. *sigh* I knew it from day one that the movies would butcher R/Hr's characters to some extent since both are the kind of characters that people misunderstand easily. And the movies just proved that fact by only highlighting Ron's comic side and Hermione's intellectual side. Well, of course, now finally, they have improved by trial and error. But In terms of characterisation, I feel Ron and Hermoine always got a rough deal. Draco, Harry, Slughorn, Dobby, Kreacher etc. etc. were closer to the book but R/Hr..... πŸ˜•πŸ˜†and especially Ron..come on, he is not a dumbo/strictly comic relief...he is quite intelligent if you think about it.

EDIT - GroW*H huh? what is this?🀣
Edited by VirgoVixen - 13 years ago
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Originally posted by: RonMione4ever

Then I dont have any mind, coz I am in love with Ron ...

Anyways, its your choice to hate Ron and it is our choice to love him ...

Oh, I have been wondering all these years why am I such a nutso? Now I know the reason. πŸ˜†
Eloquent thumbnail
Originally posted by: VirgoVixen

Word, Eloquent, word! I missed you here so hi there! 😳

I so agree with everything you said. JKR actually focused a LOT on Ron's character and his groW*H. I just wished she did the same for Hermione. A lot people still have the notion that Hermione is this 'perfect' girl when she does have her share of insecurities. I would have liked JKR to show us her Horcrux moment just so that everyone could understand her better. *sigh* I knew it from day one that the movies would butcher R/Hr's characters to some extent since both are the kind of characters that people misunderstand easily. And the movies just proved that fact by only highlighting Ron's comic side and Hermione's intellectual side. Well, of course, now finally, they have improved by trial and error. But In terms of characterisation, I feel Ron and Hermoine always got a rough deal. Draco, Harry, Slughorn, Dobby, Kreacher etc. etc. were closer to the book but R/Hr..... πŸ˜•πŸ˜†and especially Ron..come on, he is not a dumbo/strictly comic relief...he is quite intelligent if you think about it.

EDIT - GroW*H huh? what is this?🀣

HeyyπŸ˜ƒ

@ big big bold: THAT is one of the times I feel JKR has performed an Unforgivable Curse (I'm kidding ofcourse :P )

You know, JKR chooses to ignore the character of Hermione in the books almost as much as the movie people ignore the character of Ron.

Out of the Trio, Hermione is the on most ignored in the books. :( We don't know about her parents and the only names we know of them are the fake names Hermione gives them after her memory charming session is over. For that matter, we NEVER got to see that heart wrenching scene of her modifying her parents' memories and for ONCE I thought that the movies did one better than the books: they opened the movie with the Memory Charm scene.

Again, after the whole Locket-Horcrux destroying scene with Ron, I was eagerly waiting to see Hermione's Horcrux-destroying moment and was thoroughly disappointed when it was only mentioned in passing and we never really got to see it. So that is why I am awaiting to see this one scene: Hermione destroying the Hufflepuff cup. I guess since Jo's producing the film and giving her creative inputs, I hope the scene in the movie would be shown exactly as she would have wanted it to be. Then, we can really see and understand Hermione simultaneously at her worst and best.

One of the things Hermione fears is failure. Maybe it would be that. I've also felt that she would have been slightly hurt when Ron was chosen to Harry's hostage during the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. During the earlier books, she might even have felt like the third wheel of the trio. And how she felt when Harry took Ron's side in PoA.
But we never really see the innermost workings of her mind, like we do with Harry and to some extent with Ron.

Anyway, I got really side tracked and am not even sure what I'm typing; just jumbled thoughts.
Well apart from that, Ron and Hermione are the characters she has explored the most. I think along with Harry, they are the main leads too. If you just extend the protagonist's tag a bit, you can include both of them into that tag.
They are sidekick protagonists. :P
And one thing she has really, pain-stakingly developed right from book one is Ron/Hermione, 'the relationship'. I won't go into all the "steps" she has put them through but I loved how she kept us pondering the "will-they, won't they" question right till the very end of book seven, how she kept the tension between them all throughout the series and kept the whole R/Hr climax scene right at the end. Even Harry/Ginny got their climax in book six but R/Hr had to wait till the end of seven, to get theirs. Save the best for the last, as I like to say.
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Originally posted by: Eloquent

Save the best for the last, as I like to say.

Yes! That kiss was the most awaited moment ever for a lot of people.πŸ˜†

Hermione, as much as I love her, hides a LOT, most of her emotions. Poor girl, when she likes someone, she doesn't know how to show/express that love, and ends up displaying exactly the opposite of that. πŸ˜† She tries to fix everyone else's emotions and ignores her own. The main reason for this is surely her upbringing. She is a daughter of two dentists - I can almost imagine how it would be like for her whilst growing up, house full of books, constant pressure to do well in school and hence, no time for friends or handling emotions and repressing/ignoring them. This is why she's very easy to misunderstand.

P.S. Both of my parents are doctors and my upbringing and personality is very similar to Hermione lol, hence I can relate to her (we're both Virgos as well)πŸ˜†πŸ˜³

Eloquent thumbnail
Originally posted by: VirgoVixen

Yes! That kiss was the most awaited moment ever for a lot of people.πŸ˜†

Hermione, as much as I love her, hides a LOT, most of her emotions. Poor girl, when she likes someone, she doesn't know how to show/express that love, and ends up displaying exactly the opposite of that. πŸ˜† She tries to fix everyone else's emotions and ignores her own. The main reason for this is surely her upbringing. She is a daughter of two dentists - I can almost imagine how it would be like for her whilst growing up, house full of books, constant pressure to do well in school and hence, no time for friends or handling emotions and repressing/ignoring them. This is why she's very easy to misunderstand.

P.S. Both of my parents are doctors and my upbringing and personality is very similar to Hermione lol, hence I can relate to her (we're both Virgos as well)πŸ˜†πŸ˜³

Lol, Hermione is pretty emotional and she cries and all. I would say that she is very private only on her own issues. Like she can perceive other people's issues and problems and understand what they're feeling. And so, she can also understand her own feelings and analyse them. But she doesn't allow anyone else to analyze them; I don't think she confided in anyone about her issues nor did anyone have the guts to take her on πŸ˜† In that way, she is similar to Harry, atleast in romantic matters she is. While Harry is a total no-go on the 'expressing emotions' front. πŸ˜†

Hermione is different than Harry when she cries and when she hugs people and is always so worried about people and things all the time. She is quite expressive that way. And yet she can't really express her feelings for Ron so efficiently and struggles with her own romance, while being perfectly able to poke her nose in others' romance. πŸ˜†

I think yeah, with two dentists as parents and always being brought up to excel academically and so much importance being placed on studies and looking at how she was in PS/SS, I would think that she had no friends till she came to Hogwarts. That's why Ron's statement that 'but she's a nightmare. She must have noticed she's got no friends'. hurt her so much.
So before coming to Hogwarts, we have Hermione: bookworm and brought up in such a way as to be on her best behaviour all the time ('people are behaving like such children' said Hermione, her nose in the air) and she is bossy and a bit pompous at that time. And yes, no real friends. She might have some acquaintances who are part of some study group, but that's about it.

Having no friends before Hogwarts is what is common between her and Harry, I guess.