Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

can two ppl from diff religions.. (Page 3)

alpha_sigma Senior Member
alpha_sigma
alpha_sigma

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Savia

I think being a minority is what is and it is not defined by race, religion, creed, sexuality alone. Thoughts/beliefs etc.. sometimes also make you a minority.

I am an Indian and American. Born and brought up in India but have lived here in the US for over ten years giving. I went to high school here and  I went to college here; that has given me a sense of strong American Identity. I hold loyalties to both countries  makes me a minority in both. In American I hear is that an Indian thing or is that part of your culture? While in India I hear you are so American or this is not America too. So I never exactly fit in. Except that here I am obviously a racial/ethnic minority as well. But that said there are those who love me and I love in both places despite me being different.

I think this is true, in most (mind you not all) places in the world, while there are slight prejudices for the most part people want to know you. They dint judge you on religion, race, etc as much as you think. Of course there are some minorities that are judged and have to sort of prove themselves a little more ( and these differ a  lot by country)- in America- its blacks, gays, disabled and Muslims.. But even then I think in most cosmopolitan places majority of the people what to judge them as individuals and not their minority identity. In rural areas I think they have to prove they are "good" sometimes but people are still more than willing to accept them, the reason it takes longer I think is not hate but ignorance. Which does not make it okay, but lets admit it most places in the world if you lack education and have not being exposed to them, you are more likely to be ignorant about them.

What makes being a minority hard sometimes is not the majority but unfortunately a small loud minority.

That said I think being a minority sometimes can be a good thing, if you have right attitude about it. I think its very important as minorities to embrace the local culture as well as retain your own; when in Greece do as the Greeks, but DO not forget you are roman. Sometimes being a minority you can give a new perspective to situations, you have the ability to understand/help other people who are sort of outsiders better than people who have not been exposed to being as an  outsider. I know being Indian and American and feeling like an outsiders sometimes I am now much more open to different cultures, food, traveling and much more that I would not have been if I had just been in India all my life. I think at the end of the day its your attitude to being different that makes a different either you sulk or  embrace it.

As for hating everyone equally- I think thats as likely as loving everyone equally :P
wrong thread...i think u meant this one http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1564808

Savia Groupbie
Savia
Savia

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged
ooops Sorry about that everyone, tabbed browsing can be bad sometimes.

what I meant to say was:

think it is completely possible for people from two different religions to raise a kid that is not confused. And without being athiest. I have seen it happen with a few of people I know.
There area couple of things that can happen:
1) The child can be raised to be aganotic-spiritual taking whats best from both religions and praticing them in joint rituals and unique ways.
2)They can be of both religions; they pratice relegions till they are old enough to choose one or they continue praticing both all thier life finding a way for them to co-exsist later in life ( so creating a religious relatvism/agnostism)
3) They are raised in a third faith. I know someone who is christian and hindu, that themselves praticed buddhism and raised their kid as buddhist  well.

Any of these options of course requires people to see god and religion as more liquid and not be ridgidly religious. They need to put thier love, humanity and faith  be more important than the traditional ideo of god.

There is one last option
4) They are raised as one parents religions and the other spouse usally converts, you see this in India where its usually the males religion that is embraced.

Of coourse in this case one spouse is more flexible than the other.

So NO they do not have to be atheist, however that is a good option with nothing wrong. People who do not belive is god can still be good and have very strong sense of right and wrong. Unlike what most religious people think. Living in a very liberal city in America I know few athiest and they are good people in fact one of them is a police officer who athiest because he has seen some horrible thigs of what people do in the name of religion.
alpha_sigma Senior Member
alpha_sigma
alpha_sigma

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Savia

1) The child can be raised to be aganotic-spiritual taking whats best from both religions and praticing them in joint rituals and unique ways.
2)They can be of both religions; they pratice relegions till they are old enough to choose one or they continue praticing both all thier life finding a way for them to co-exsist later in life ( so creating a religious relatvism/agnostism)
i agree these would be the ideal situation but the actual practice can b a little contradictory...
lets say for example in a hindu muslim union a very common example of inter religious marriage in india...the hindu faith althoughis not all about praying to idols but is definately the stepping stone or beginning of the practice in this faith...and islam totally forbids it... to a kid simply put they are very contradictory and opposite opinions....wat do u answer if he asks u the correct or the right way from them both...as a child we see the world in black and white...things r either right or wrong there is no middle ground....
see as an adult we can comprehend that both the ways are different ways of achieving the same goal but to get philosophical with a 4 yr old is absurdConfused
Savia Groupbie
Savia
Savia

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged

I dont think children see the world as black and white, pysological studies show children are extremely capabale of abstract thought. If you think about their imaginative world they sometimes make absolutely no sense to parents because of this reason.The ides of right and wrong and ridigity is taught to them usually by the adults in their life. So I dont think they do think in black and white. I think yes it can be confuising but as long as both religions are not praticed ridgily and interpreted in a more liberal forms and concessions are made.Like I said previosuly.

You can explain  to a kid that they are two ways of doing the same like cooking/baking to make food You can also explain to them that its like how they can like two things, and two people equally they can religion to. That just like people are different, how they pray to god is different and their is no better. I am not saying it does not get hard trying to explain it but if you and your spouse sit and talk and make sure you are consistent then it makes your kid and your life a lot easier.
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged
It's something that I know I would personally never be able to do. It's so easy to say let's forget about our differences and just get married..but then there will be times in the future where you will not be willing to make a sacrifice on certain issues and that's where most problems start. The way in which you get married is not such a huge problem..lots of people that are from different religions and decided to get married just choose to have a civil marriage and register their marriage in court. Others will follow both ceremonies, or quite often, we see the girl convert.

Also, everyone is different. Some have no problem leaving their religion behind because it may never have played such a huge part in their lives to start off with. I'm sure some people can make it work, I probably wouldn't be able to though.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Savia

Savia Groupbie
Savia
Savia

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged
 @ hindu4lyf : I really dont think it is easy to say lets our differences and get married. In fact statistics show that peopel who marry people from different races and relgions have a LOT of challenges. I am currently dating someone who is a different religion and race than me so I know its hard, especially as we get closer to marriage, even though we are luckier than most other mixed couples cause our parents are okay with it and support us. But I do agree that everyone is different and it comes down to indivuals and their ability to communicate. I think communication is really the key for mixed couples between themselves and their children.

@ Gauri: very well put, I think it is extremely important to enforce commanlties and go on broader principles than on the details!
P1nk IF-Dazzler
P1nk
P1nk

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

As long as they're not a couple of over religious fools and understand how much more important the human is than the human's religion. I would marry a christian or muslim if I loved her as a person.

Hey how you doing? Tongue

hindu4lyf

Go to top