Debate Mansion

can two ppl from diff religions.. - Page 5

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
This content was originally posted by: alpha_sigma

is this ur opinion😕or that of the myopic religious leaders...

Yes my view. I prefer everyone to stick their own religion and not cause an over crowding. By all means one is free to visit any temple, church or mosque. But make your parents happy by following the family religion as far as possible.
I think I am very liberal. Do not break your parent's heart.
All religions are equally good.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
@RTH: I like the way you think but for some reason I don't agree that kids are just that innocent any more. Kids too get brainwashed from a very early age, and this has an impact on their innocence and beliefs. 

Tbh all the people that I know that have married in to a different religion, have converted and now follow the religion that their husband follows. This makes things so much simpler. The only exception is when a Hindu marries a Sikh. It's not often we see conversion in this scenario and I think it becomes quite common for the kid to go to both the Gurdwara, as well as the Hindu Temple. I'm not sure why these sort of marriages are more successful, but judging from personal experience, despite significant differences between the two religions, there tends to be less arguments and compromises when it comes to religion.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

@RTH: I like the way you think but for some reason I don't agree that kids are just that innocent any more. Kids too get brainwashed from a very early age, and this has an impact on their innocence and beliefs.

Yes kids do get brainwashed. Have you watched the documentary Jesus Camp? It is quite a terrifying presentation of how kids are being religiously brainwashed. Cultural/Communal brainwashing also occurs in many third world nations. In parts of Africa where there is tribal conflict and genocide, kids are forced through a lot of trauma until they are completely desensitized to rape and murder and do it on command.

The thing is smart people cannot usually be brainwashed - its the naive and innocent who usually fall prey to such tactics. People who don't really think for themselves or know better.

My post was more in context of children in multicultural or mixed religion or multinational households where the parents are not trying to brainwash but exposing the children to many different concepts, beliefs and cultures. To some this might be confusing a kid, but children are much more open minded than adults and react to such situations very favorably. They tie things together with imagination.

This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Tbh all the people that I know that have married in to a different religion, have converted and now follow the religion that their husband follows. This makes things so much simpler. The only exception is when a Hindu marries a Sikh. It's not often we see conversion in this scenario and I think it becomes quite common for the kid to go to both the Gurdwara, as well as the Hindu Temple. I'm not sure why these sort of marriages are more successful, but judging from personal experience, despite significant differences between the two religions, there tends to be less arguments and compromises when it comes to religion.

Yes I've seen plenty of cases of conversion for marriage. It is common in the desi community. One one hand it is simpler as the child is completely immersed in one religion/culture. But it can be challenging in that the child can feel detached and not connect with the mother's side of the family. But yes many of these marriages do work out well too.

The trend is changing though. People are developing independent identities and are unwilling to just let go of it. At the same time it is also increasing tolerance, harmony and compromise. More and more. I've seen plenty of mixed religion/mixed culture families too that work very well. Most people who engage in such marriages tend to be very open minded to the mixing. Its definitely not for everybody. Some people just wont be comfortable with conversion or compromises. Some people do go for it and regret it later.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

Yes kids do get brainwashed. Have you watched the documentary Jesus Camp? It is quite a terrifying presentation of how kids are being religiously brainwashed. Cultural/Communal brainwashing also occurs in many third world nations. In parts of Africa where there is tribal conflict and genocide, kids are forced through a lot of trauma until they are completely desensitized to rape and murder and do it on command.

The thing is smart people cannot usually be brainwashed - its the naive and innocent who usually fall prey to such tactics. People who don't really think for themselves or know better.

My post was more in context of children in multicultural or mixed religion or multinational households where the parents are not trying to brainwash but exposing the children to many different concepts, beliefs and cultures. To some this might be confusing a kid, but children are much more open minded than adults and react to such situations very favorably. They tie things together with imagination. 

I'm sure that most parents aren't aware of the 'brainwash', but there's no denying it happens. As a kid, I was never forced to pray, fast, go to the temple or do anything religious for that matter. It was just something that I picked up from my grandparents and so soon the prayers became part of my daily routine and till date, my mum will always ask me whether or not I wish to fast, it's never felt like an obligation which many kids feel these days. I remember when my cousin bro used to come back home when he was in Year TWO, he'd tell me about how kids in his class were fasting! I'm not saying they are forced, and I know lots of things should be taught and implemented when kids are young, but I still think that's wrong. 

I used to like helping out with little kids in primary school so I'd make it a point to go there two/three times a week, whenever I was free from college and when you'd talk to these kids, you'd realise just how much importance is given to religion and sometimes I couldn't help but think that too much importance is given to it.

I haven't seen Jesus Camp but I can imagine what it must be like.
Lots of my friends are from multicultural and multinational households, but I don't know very many people who come from mixed religion backgrounds..unless you count a chinese friend whose parents are Bhuddist and Atheist. She happens to be an Atheist like her Dad, yet she does pray for the sake of it before her exams😆

Yes I've seen plenty of cases of conversion for marriage. It is common in the desi community. One one hand it is simpler as the child is completely immersed in one religion/culture. But it can be challenging in that the child can feel detached and not connect with the mother's side of the family. But yes many of these marriages do work out well too.

The trend is changing though. People are developing independent identities and are unwilling to just let go of it. At the same time it is also increasing tolerance, harmony and compromise. More and more. I've seen plenty of mixed religion/mixed culture families too that work very well. Most people who engage in such marriages tend to be very open minded to the mixing. Its definitely not for everybody. Some people just wont be comfortable with conversion or compromises. Some people do go for it and regret it later. 

See, I haven't noticed that trend. In fact, I find that people are going further and further away from their identities, which is why inter-religious marriages as well as multinational marriage are becoming more and more common. I definitely agree that people who engage in such marriages are usually much more open minded to mixing. Some people can make it work and others can't, it varies from person to person really.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
@H4L

Imitation by children is not really brainwashing. I remember when I was a kid and went to the temple, I wanted to do each and everything my grandmother did. I also wanted to go to midnight mass because it seemed so interesting. Children often see and hear others around them and want to follow it.

Brainwashing is usually when someone is purposefully indoctrinated with a viewpoint. Otherwise children are always unwittingly, wittingly picking things up from others - both positives and negatives. Thats not really brainwashing.

Regarding the trend - I'm pretty much on with you. What I meant by the trend was that people are no longer afraid of losing their past identity when they marry outside. In the past marrying outside meant that one person had to lose some or all of their religion, culture etc. People felt adapting other perspectives tainted or tarnished cultural identity people were raised with. However, nowadays people feel that marrying outside does not mean that, and dual identities can be achieved without losing another. This gives rise to stronger sense of religion and culture. From what I have observed new immigrant youth very easily identify with western culture and marry outside, but at the same time their sense of pride and attachment with their home culture is much much stronger than generations before them.
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I guess the parents with different religious backgrounds can leave it up to the kid if he would like to follow his father's religion or mother's religion or not any at all.

It will be confusing for the child but then that's the part of the marriage and I'm guessing this way, the kid would be learning about two religions as a part of his groW*H, thus gaining more knowledge(?) about different religions and stuff.