Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tvrasika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
This will be a long post, friends, so apologies in advance.

There are 2 things being discussed- the actual scene itself (whether there is anything wrong in showing a woman remove her husband's shoes), and second, what it means in the larger context, of portraying women in Indian television.

A lot of you seem to think that we should see this as just a way to show Khanak's love for Shaan, and there is nothing wrong in what she did or what she said before that (about wife's duty to provide comfort for a tired husband).

No one can possibly say a wife should not provide comfort for her husband when he comes home tired.  Marriage is to provide support and comfort for one another. It is perfectly o.k for Khanak to worry about her husband and his mental state (because his father is not supporting him). We saw Shaan worry about Khanak when Hetal and Mangal were around. That scene where he comes back from office to stop her from telling Hetal everything, and where he says 'no one will blame me. everyone will blame you only' was one of the best scenes shown in RBO.

Why do you think Shaan said that? Why would the society blame only a woman and not a man, in the event of a marriage collapsing? Because that is the reality. Shaan understood that. The writers of RBO told us of that reality through Shaan.

So it is only fair for us to ask what the writers are now trying to show. What do they want us to know when they make Khanak say these lines ? That Khanak and Shaan share tremendous love for each other? Sure. That is totally fine.

But there is something called symbolism. It's because of that symbolism, that in spite of repeated requests from us all to make Khanak wear sari again, she does not wear a sari. Because we are told that the channel believes that a sari-clad woman depicts a particular image, which they do not want to show. I have not seen any official statement from the channel on this issue. I only know what people have said in this forum. If i have got my facts wrong, I apologise sincerely. But until the channel shows Khanak in a sari again, I am going to have to rely on this idea that Star One heroines will not come in a sari.

Do any of you think there is something wrong in a woman wearing a sari?

We have never been shown Khanak observe fasts like Karva Chauth. Am sure a lot of women feel there is nothing wrong in a woman fasting for her husband's long life (though a husband would never do the same, except if he is Raj from DDLJ, LOL)...We have not been shown Khanak celebrate Navratri, which for a Gujarati is a major major festival.

If the channel has been so careful to preserve its image as a progressive, youth-focused one and has avoided showing certain realities of Indian family life (wife wearing sari, observing rituals, festivals, people going for weddings etc), then why has this scene been shown?

If it is to show the comfort level of Shaan and Khanak with each other, her removing his shoes, him saying no, and then lying on her lap, telling her about his past with Rahul, then it is fine...but, but, if it is to indicate to us viewers, that this is the kind of Khanak we will see from now on, may be the CVs can be upfront and tell us about that.

The title of the post is about the change in Khanak's character. Ofcourse Khanak will change after marriage, and after strengthening of her relationship with Shaan. None of us remain the same persons we were before marriage. I do not expect Khanak to be forever the girl who ate sweets when she was supposed to fast.  But what kind of change?

Khanak will bring Shaan and Rahul together. Sure. That's what all heroines do in TV serials- make their husbands' / in-laws' lives better. They never seem to have a life of their own.

What made RBO different? Because Khanak was different.

Pls forgive me for a very long post.

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: aditee

Maybe if I was unmarried , I would be romanticizing all this and seeing it in a very lovey dovey way.

May be I would have gone to bed tonite fantasizing about how I would do it if I happened to love my husband like Khanak does

No Ways Dude....M unmarried....And lemme tell you thats the last thing on earth i wud do for anyone !! I thought it was Abominably Pathetic to portray Khanak like that !!😡😡😡
aditee thumbnail
gaayu!

👏👏

👍🏼

Thank you!

Well said!
Daebak thumbnail
Since My Topic was Closed...M putting this here...

KHANAK - A Journey from Bravery to Ridiculous Meekness...!

I have seen several shows/films higlighting the journey of a girl from being a Meek Simpleton to a Brave and Strong Individual...

But for the first time I witnessed a total butchery of a character who was soo Strong, Outspoken,Honest,Forthright,Brave,Courageous and Daring...to start with...She actually went into reverse gear??? What exactly are you'll trying to convey...Pray tell me !! For I totally do not get this !!

Today KHANAK has successfully become a doormat !!!

Yes....Oh Butchered Character ,Thy name is "Khanak"

The women who took it upon herself to punish the guy who was responsible for her husband's death...Then she even married him....

She who stood upto all the issues that came up in her new household....She stayed there so that her family back in the village wudnt become homeless....

She even sacrificed her love as she thought that her husband's girlfriend would be hurt if she declared her love for her husband...

She fought her Mom-in-law and Sister-in-law when she came to know that her husband loved her too and refused to part ways just coz his mom didnt like her !!

That character is today,relegated to mouthing dialogues like "Ek achi patni kya apne pati ke liye itna nahi kar sakti?"

She is removing his shoes.....CV's you might remember...not too long ago Khanak tried the same thing in front of Akki to pull Shaantanu's leg coz he was trying to prove to his bro that his wife listens to him completely....

Then we had the bell bajao scene....Where she refused to ring the bell inspite of shaan saying that a wife shud listen to her husband...

Khanak was a character who used to have a mind of her own and not a typical village belle.....Jab village me rehte hue she wasnt the typical village girl...Then how did living in the city for soo long make her follow all this shoe removing traditions???

U think the youth wants to see this??????? This is what you call a youth show??? Plz tell me which youth are you targetting....Coz I dont think any of the "youth" I know would watch this scene without a look of disgust and ridiculousness on their face....

This is the 21st Century......A women is in every sense equal to a man....They are bread earners in their own right....Plzz dont make such a mockery of your show...
There are people out there who might take this seriously...Yes the uneducated people who still own a tv.....Do you realize the impact your single dialogue/scene has across the population???
Its not even funny !!

If you cannot use the medium to dispel myths and gender differences ...Then atleast dont create problems....!!

Also, we wudve expected a SHANAK scene the other way round.....Him asking her to pamper him and saying its the wife's duty and she giving a smart and witty answer.....That was the SHANAK we grew to love....

A change in track doesnt warrant a 360 degree change in the character sketch of the characters who made an identity for themselves over all these months !!

M Supremely Dissapointed in the show today....The entire essence of the show is LOST !!!

P.S - The ploy of letting Khanak go missing for a whole episode and then putting in a mushy SHANAK scene the very next day in not very encouraging....Off late everyone except the lead actress of the show is getting more footage on the show....U are not earning fans in us by doing this....the ploy wont work for long....If you are intending to air more of such episodes minus Yashashri !!

Regardz,
A Once Upon a Time Fan of RBO

aditee thumbnail
Originally posted by: Yasharanrocks

i cant understand y people r getng unnecessary topics here like country,customs n all that.n its really sad 2 c people doesnt consider singers do hardwork.agree with luvudee if she wud hav tried 2 remove his shirt instead of his shoes den people wud hav gone gaga over it.cant understand y such a small thng every1 wants 2 make it a issue.n gtng INDIA n INDIANwomen in each n evry matter.i cant understand y helpng der husband in achvng success n supportng him n takng care of him looks regressive....

Yasharan,

Hi!
What may be  unnecessary for you is NOT for us😃

Please dont feel  compelled to read OR respond to this thread if it does not concur with your thinking!

I do it to 99% of the topics!😃

Its a free democratic forum where we are allowed to express our opinions fairly, politely, and respectfully!

Thats what I did when I started this topic!

I am not sure WHO you are referring to when you say "they would have been OK if Shaan was stripping"
That is a strong comment!

I posted yesterday that I am happily married and it offended another member!😕
Wonder why! But anyway....... So, let me tell you,, I AM NOT A TEEN, I have never posted any fantasy messages about KT's body or his state of dress or undress.
So who ever you are pointing fingers at should answer that for now😃

Edited by aditee - 13 years ago
Yasharanrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: aditee

Yasharan,

Hi!
What may be  unnecessary for you is NOT for us😃

Please dont feel  compelled to read OR respond to this thread if it does not concure with your thinking!

I do it to 99% of the topics!😃

Its a free democratic forum where we are allowed to express our opinions fairly, politely, and respectfully!

Thats what I did when I started this topic!

I am not sure WHO you are referring to when you say "they would have been OK if Shaan was stripping"
That is a strong comment!

I posted yesterday that I am happily married and it offended another member!😕
Wonder why! But anyway....... So, let me tell you,, I AM NOT A TEEN, I have never posted any fantasy messages about KT's body or his state of dress or undress.
So who ever you are pointing fingers at should answer that for now😃

even i think i can freely post in dis thread.as u guyz r targetng INDIA wich is my country n commntng abt INDIAN woman.well unfortunately mods said 2 discuss dis in ur thread.n d scene in vch u hav found mistakes.v hav found nthng bad in it.dey discussed n talked vch i want 2 c b/n dem.shaan finally opened up 2 his wife.
destinylove thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Yasharanrocks

i cant understand y people r getng unnecessary topics here like country,customs n all that.n its really sad 2 c people doesnt consider singers do hardwork.agree with luvudee if she wud hav tried 2 remove his shirt instead of his shoes den people wud hav gone gaga over it.cant understand y such a small thng every1 wants 2 make it a issue.n gtng INDIA n INDIANwomen in each n evry matter.i cant understand y helpng der husband in achvng success n supportng him n takng care of him looks regressive....

I agree with u dear

Indian customs /habits cant be questioned by anyone nor anyone has the authority to brand it as regressive ., backward etc.,

No one has the single authority to do it and no one is the sole representaqtive of millions of Indian women here.

nobody has the right to question of anyone else's action It is their wish they  are like that..

if they dont feel it bad then why upeople are imposing ur views on them wanting them to be so called forward of what they perceive...

Let them live their own lives and not based upon what people  want them to live....   and who are  peopel to judge it is forward or backward Iiis for the individual to decide and not others  

and this is everyones forum and no body can ask any body not to be compelled f
from wriitng their views when they themselves are doing it for each and every post..  

Let each woman lead her own life according to her own wills and fancies and according to her own circumstances and demands of her family and not people sitting from the cushion of their  drawing rooms sitting in front of systems

WE cannot dictate terms to anyone else.
Edited by sshriyaa84 - 13 years ago
saaaz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
You know what Gaayu...can I say something.. I agree with what you are saying but at the same time, I also think there is a bigger issue here and that is how low this serial has come to...I mean we all knew RASAM scenes were enacted like the writers and the actors were out of it....and the Shanak scenes were slowly beginning to look like - 'how do we keep the oldies glued'??? and the level they are stooping to get viewers ...in the name of shanak romance and whatever RASAM are supposed to signify....is pathetic!!! This show has no quality...what is worse it comes from a set of CVs that actually backed a quality show...its like they are telling US we dont deserve a quality show....becos WE only want to watch THIS!!! and today...all those responses you see is testament to that.. ..WHAT a pity...so many of us have no clue what generations of women have gone through for us to have the blessed freedom to come and talk like this on a public forum....

THis is the ONLY country in the world which has more men than women, ....the only country in the world where the ratio of men is to women is not 50:50 ....this is the only country in the world after sub sharan africa that has the highest malnutrition among girls in families which have girls and boys and the one of the two countries in the world which has the highest rate of female infanticide...yes, this is India..the country I was born and have grown up in...have had the privilege of working with prostitutes, battered women, destitute girls and girls as young as 5 who have been victims of trafficking....

WHAT SYMBOLISIM ARE WE TALKING ABOUT???/ please lets not look for them in shows like THIS RBO.....lets get some perspective...

Edited by saaaz - 13 years ago
Daebak thumbnail
If aisa sab hi hona hai toh I want Khanak to dance on -

My Name is Sheila ...
Sheila ki Jawaani..
M too sexy for you...
Main tere haath na aani !!

Hahahahahhahhahaa !! That will be the final straw...! We want Shiela...We Want Sheila !!😆😆😆😆
Edited by togepe30 - 13 years ago
Dancingdoll thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Soul is not male or female

Read this just last week. From whatever I believe in and know of love, a true love is between souls and the boundaries are sketched between two bodies, be it, male - female, rich - poor, Black - white. Once love gets entwined in these boundaries, it just doesnt remain love and one can choose to define their relationship, that of love or the one sketched with boundaries. Khanak and Shaan decided to choose the former and I salute them for this.

Shaan chose to do a "demeaning" work in a "Bhoganaale" to get back Khanak in his life (It might not be demeaning to us, but lets face it that it was demeaning in Shaan's mind and he still goes for it...That was important)....and Khanak decided to free her love our of the tireness visible on his face, by freeing him of tangible shackles on his body! Love just grows.They choose to see each other as lovers,not as male and female and I choose to live in that world.

I am not sure where did the gender bias crop in, in topics of love?
It was about ...hmmm.....let me call them....two love birds...It was about one love bird finding the other tired and tensed and trying to free him of his emotional and physical shackles....It was about one love bird trying to get back the other love bird back into his/her life and hence working in the restaurant and doing all sorts of demeaning jobs....Now we all can keep scratching our heads on who is the female and who is the male one here only to realize that this was never the issue...There is a broader perspective to it and we are still living within our own sketched boundaries....

Who says that a modern woman of today cannot help her hubby get rid of the shoes when he is absolutely dead tired? When we say the world has progressed, woman hasnt deteriorated by sketching boundaries, she hasnt forgotten her humanity, she only chooses to rise higher and made guys reach their level...When we say that world has moved forward, its not woman who has taken backward steps and stopped helping her hubby in such matters but it's men who have taken few steps ahead and started helping women in their daily chores such as cleaning , sweeping, cooking and even massaging their shoulders, legs, hands etc....I even know hubbies, who prick the gals eyebrow if she didnt have time to go to the beauty parlour or do a pedicure for them when they come back tired from office....And believe me when I say, these men are damn hot, and dynamic!!!!...The world has become modern, not for worst but for better....Both have learn to coexist congenially by helping each other and not by both deciding to not be each others emotional or physical support...But its we who choose to decide the nature of our relationship!!!

I dont wanna imagine a world where my hubby or me, when we come back from office, would show each other our backs when either of us want any kind of help of such kinds!!!...I would call it humanity at its worst form....

Well, I just saw the episode and couldnt stop myself from replying here. I guess we would have to agree to disagree with many of you here! 😊

BTW, Shriya, I liked your post in other thread, unfortunately had to close it because aditee beat you to this topic!! 😛😊
Edited by Dancingdoll - 13 years ago