India-Forums

Maryada
Maryada

Maryada - Losing it's grip

DJ.. IF-Sizzlerz
DJ..
DJ..

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged

For me is a story of four female protagonists ' Devayani, Uttara, Priya and Vidya. To add to the character list there are Gaurav SSP Aditya Priya's father and brother, etc.

I was looking for interesting and intriguing story and characterization.

But what is there in currently in this serial is  

Story - Typical 'It is not at all gripping. They are not using the 4 female leads properly.

Characterization -

Devayani - She is protagonist but seeing all her actions and plans it seems we can were safely categorize her anytime as an antagonist who is scheming against her daughter in laws and sons. This is because she keeping the truth from them, she was instrumental for Gaurav's wedding against his will, she is scared of Priya's nature and would do anything to contain it to suit her purpose and plans, so on and so forth.

I felt her character's essence would be as a person who has been fighting to keep her family together, one who would understand the plight of another lady. Currently is behaving like a typical saas from the saas bahu serials. Sweet saas but don't know what she will be later.

Priya - I feel  she is inconsistent in her characterization. Due to her disturbed past she seems apprehensive about being associated with police but she agreed to marry Aditya without meeting his dad. Difficult to digest. Chalo theek yeh toh pacha liya but what about she being upset about Aditya wanting a kiss and saying his love is all about physicality. She is shown upset one moment and during her interaction with Chinu she is all blushing. This is what I call inconsistent. A person who is physically abused is scarred badly and such scars and their memories don't go easily. So this sudden transition in her reaction is a little difficult to digest. Furthermore, what Chinu said was correct, after 14 days when she would be married to Aditya what does she intend to do if he demands physical relationship.  She is an intelligent lady has she not given that a thought.

She has a disturbed past which itself can be a good build up for the further story. But this is somewhere lost.

Uttara - Too many mysteries for her don't understand her role at all. She has a daughter where is she. Why is she away? What are her issues with Devayani?

Vidya - Is like a decoration piece.

Gaurav - One sensible character but don't know till when they will not utilize him. He is also turning out to be an extra

Vidya Gaurav - They can have a wonderful soulful story between them.

Aditya - This character seems a little bit chauvinistic, immature and impulsive. Let' see how he will handle Priya's past and his father's truth.  I feel the Rakesh fella overacts.

Priya  Aditya  - again can be a soulful love story which can have a lot of pull but currently is turning into a regular love story of two youngsters who fell in love married and have a little trials in order to fill some episodes. Jabardasti ka romance like the water pipe scene which is coming up soon.

All in all people will watch story, characterization, favorite couple, star celebrities, acting, etc. No doubt these Rakesh and Riddhi have good chemistry but how long can one pull a serial purely on chemistry or for that matter the acting skills alone with make a viewer come back to the serial.

The story and characterization is the main thing. Somehow, the story and characters do not have the quality to keep one engrossed and does not have the pull to make sure that one will definitely not miss the next episode.

My feel the story is losing it's grip.

Edited by DJ.. - 15 December 2010 at 11:11am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Arsha85JWMRKSuhaniSoniassdtvgojansajni786-MERRY-psawyerAreYaar

Dreamygal301 IF-Sizzlerz
Dreamygal301
Dreamygal301

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 11:15am | IP Logged
I don't know enough yet to so say if the story has lost it's grip....probably some tension is gone....it has a huge cast and to maintain everyone's story, certain stories or explanations will fall flat a bit now and again.

What I do agree is the bit about Devyani. I too feel that in her bid to hide truths, show the world everything is hunky dory....she rides too rough on everyone. I think she and Priya will be clashing soon, in fact it is  set up to saas bahu platform...Saas will be hiding and bahu will want things in open!!..then open warfare between the two.Unhappy

As for Priya the only inconsistency I have found with her was the letter bit...she gives it to him and then tells him to not ask questions. Duh!!...to drop a bombshell like that, especially in preparation for the future, you would encourage him to ask Q so all doubts can be cleared....but I guess that was the set up so Adi can get away without reading it. But she is shown to be intelligent, yet too many clues are dropped that clearly tells he has not read her letter but she is not picking up on it....ErmmErmm...As for her behaviour with Adi, I can only guess that certain times she does recall her past and feels quite anxious about it hence her sudden uptight behaviour with Aditya, I think it is natural....if only she had explained it to him....

As for the others time will tell...but sometimes it feels like too much info crammed into too little time.

My pov.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

JWMRKKai.DJ..

anshra IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

mads_004charu_1023JWMRKKai.

damon_biteme Goldie
damon_biteme
damon_biteme

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged
I personally think the drama hasn't lost its grip yet as I am still enjoying the storyline and stiil keen to know on how they handle each track. I like the way they are moving the story of the  four women and how they are inter linked. I like every character in the drama and one can relate to them

Devyani although she is ready to lie to keep her family secrets intact but she does go to lengths to ensure that her DIL is happy. I know she is scared of the fact that Priya is a bold women but then she is ready to risk the her fam's secret for the sake of her son's happiness. I think deep down she does want a bahu like Priya who will bring out the secrets. I don't know thats my opinion.

Priya's inconsistent nature has been evident from day 1. Remember when Aditya saves her from drowning and tells her he will come to see her dad and ask her hand in marriage. They showed she was annoyed and finding everything incomprehensible yet she was waiting for him b4 they were about to leave Mansa Devi. She goes hot and cold within minutes and that is because of her troubled past.

Aditya's character has always been shown as someone who is impulsive, does what his heart tells him. I don't see him as a chauvinist but someone who just enjoys a more physical relation with his loved one. He has never ill treated Priya or made an chauvinist remarks, infact he was the one who built in self confidence back.

Gaurav's and Vidya story is moving the way you would expect it to move knowing the circumstances under which they got married. By nature Gaurav is a nice sensitive guy who will treat his wife with nicely as he does feel guilty of deceiving Vidya but will not get into a physical relation se he doesn't love her.

I am liking the plot the story line and the drama has potential but then that my POV

Edited by krishna_chalbo - 15 December 2010 at 3:35pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

JWMRKKai.Dreamygal301DJ..

Kai. IF-Sizzlerz
Kai.
Kai.

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged
interesting topic, i agree that writers could have developed Priya and Devyani's background story in a better manner. I too was initially disappointed with Priya's confused state of mind and quick acceptance of Adi's advances let alone proposal.
The writers are in a rush to have AdiYa married but they still could have brought the letter issue again just to make Adi realize that he should have infact paid more attention or probably confess to Chinu he hasn't read it!!!

From the promo, Devyani comes to know abt Priya's past thatnher first marriage broke off! This is an interesting twist something i did not except!

Gaurav and Vidya story is are almost parallel with Adi - Priya. The story moves foward smoothly with every episode we get to know more about a character.All the scenes are realistic and dialogues good enough to move the story foward.
Acting wise i think Ridhi was quite weak in the beginining but now she has improved. Raqesh does a fine job as Adi, infact it because of him ppl love the character so much! Rest of cast do a wonderful job!

i am still eagerly looking foward to watching Maryada, so as of now it is the best serial on star plus!

cheers
Kai

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

JWMRKDreamygal301DJ..

anshra IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Kai.

Kai. IF-Sizzlerz
Kai.
Kai.

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 3:58pm | IP Logged
just to add.....there are still lots of things that have to be revealed!!

Uttara's relation with her daughter, Rishab's true nature.?
SSP's cruel and cynical crimes?
Gaurav's love interest?
Bauji and SSP bone of contention?
Uttara and SSP relation?
rishab and SSP hatred for eachother?

The serial will complete 2 month on 18th, we are just introduced to the characters (4 women) plot and how each woman's life inspite of dealing a separate problem are still interconnected.Devyani, Uttara and Vidya are all related it's only Priya who is an outerside. After her marriage she too will be related with the other 3 woman and then the fight for Marayada begins.................... purely my view!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

JWMRKDJ..

JWMRK IF-Rockerz
JWMRK
JWMRK

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged
Hi there ,

Lovely topic ClapClap and you are spot on.

More than them losing the grip, I  think the female-teenage fanship and TRP ship has taken over and now this whole thing seems to be dangerously heading towards only being bout the lead pair or more specifically Adi, with all others turning into subsidiaries.

To please the female audiences (which admittedly are the majority when it comes to Hindi TV serials) we are showns male torsos and lovey dovey scenes...........just like any other serial.

I was so fascinated by this serial that I wanted to write, but last two weeks and especially last week have been a pull through.

The serial has ignored some of the most fascinating characters .......or if you like it, has turned them into something run-of the mill and like another clone of the tele-serials on air.......when actually there could have been so much to do with them.

a. Gaurav -  I want to see Gaurav battling his emotions, battling his sense of responsibility, wanting to break free, wanting to come through into his own........all this can only be shown if he is shown to think, react and its high time they bring whoever is in his life to the fore......gay or not gay....his character has a lot of potential.....its the classic parent/ society expectation gap syndrome......now all we seem to be shown are his chisselled abs, and his cutesy scenes with Vidya (and by the way what a finely nuanced performance by Dakshh, despite the little he gets to do, impressiveClapClapClap......nowadays sadly he is reduced to a male prop).

b. Priya - Well since she is in many scenes it seems she is the focus, but her scenes now are the too familiar trypes, girl falls in boys arms, eye-lock, heaving breathing types.......no nuance to the character any more. Most girls in India go through some kind of abuse .............and therefore this character had sooooo much potential and the ability to relate to all of us....Now Priya seems like Adi's sidekick and just another felame lead.

c. Vidya - I think what started off as a pathos filled performance.....has not turned into almost a twittering, simpering joke...........Creatives please give us the mature Vidya back, who said a gazillion things with her eyes in the initial two episodesClapClap, especially the one when she is in the train journey to Mansa Devi..........vacant, distressed eyes and the strain of the unkown.

d. SSP Jhakar - Well simply put, evil is fascinating.......and its most fascinating when its filled with shades of grey......But I guess to secure the place for popular villian awards in next TV award function, the writers seem to have turned SSP into a charcoal black shadeLOLLOL.........Why cant we have an intelligent, attractive (in the mindspace friendsEmbarrassed) villian........someone who has so much positive going for him and is good in many ways.......but then there is the one dark streak of weakness, in the midst of all the positive.......the urge to sexually abuse.

Well for me, Maryada was scintillating in the first three weeks.........but now I regularly flip it to my recorder LOL and skip the scenes.........apart from when Chinu is onStar.....the only untampered soul so far hahahahaah.

It is still an above average serial in comparison to many other serials........but the way it seems to be headed surely raises a concern.

Thanks......again a great topic to read

Edited by JWMRK - 15 December 2010 at 8:00pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

DJ..

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index