addicted2tv Senior Member
addicted2tv
addicted2tv

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tannistha

Originally posted by addicted2tv

Originally posted by Omshanti1111

Originally posted by addicted2tv

First and foremost i think that word whatever it is was written in the letter...yes shweta shouldnt have said that 2 more times if she was not sure...but why should big boss use that word at the first place?? general public ko kya pata kis chij k bare mein bol rahe...we are not taught these things at school?????
BTW can anybody tell me how it is correctly pronounced...i dont know...Smile

how r u so sure that BB wrote the word as Sweta pronounced? Sweta does not know the word, thats why she mispronounced it..thats ok..
she should have avoideed using the word again after that, if she was not sure...same goes for other contestents like Sara, Veena, Dolly..

"Stilettos"...sti-le-tos

so is it sti as in style or sti as in steel?? sorry but i need to know

hi, please check here. click on the sound icon and you can hear it. that way you will hear and know how it is spoken

Thanks so much

Omshanti1111 IF-Sizzlerz
Omshanti1111
Omshanti1111

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mihali7

Although I really admire Shewta I laughed a lot too wen she said tht buh its not her fault cuz tht's how English is taught in India so blame the British English they teach in Indian schools.

Samir studied in US so he is used to the American accent and sounds great.

But dont blame ST bcuz she had to say the 'steeltoe' bcuz it was written in tht paper its not like the paper said heels/pumps buh said it the wrong way.

Then there is Veena who is such a wannabe she will never-ever learn to say certain things the right way. I bet some words jalapeno and lingerie she wud pronounce them the way they are written so it is impossible to expect correct pronounciation from her.

Please dont blame how English is taught here in India. i have learnt here in India and i am doing fine in the other part of the world. the problem lies in the fact that  we do not get a chance to practise english on a regular basis, that offcourse holds  true for  anything and everything  and any one and everyone. if you donot speak it on a regular basis you  do not get used to the language.
American Accent is not a standard, its just another accent. 
  i don't mind accents at all, some of my good friends and proffessors are high achievers in their field but they all have their localised accent, be it south Indian, punjabi or greek, italian, french accent.

I do blame the Indian gov or just plain Brits bcuz desh chod gaye par unka english abhi tak nahi gaya ya jane wala hai. 
Exmaple - Ppl aacuse Ashwariya Rai (not a fan) of trying so hard to speak Brit english buh its not her fault she was taught tht kinda English in schools.

Have you notice why our celebs say KANT instead of CAN'T - this is one simple thing tht pisses me off. Explain to me giving one good reason why they pronounce CAN properly but wen C-A-N apostrophe T comes in the whole word is pronounced differently!!!??? does NOt make sense.

its Ash Rai's own problem...I can assure you she was not taught the same in school..same goes with all celebrities...

Edited by Omshanti1111 - 15 December 2010 at 2:44pm
LeadNitrate IF-Veteran Member
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged

Although I really admire Shewta I laughed a lot too wen she said tht buh its not her fault cuz tht's how English is taught in India so blame the British English they teach in Indian schools.

But dont blame ST bcuz she had to say the 'steeltoe' bcuz it was written in tht paper its not like the paper said heels/pumps buh said it the wrong way.

Then there is Veena who is such a wannabe she will never-ever learn to say certain things the right way. I bet some words jalapeno and lingerie she wud pronounce them the way they are written so it is impossible to expect correct pronounciation from her.

Please dont blame how English is taught here in India. i have learnt here in India and i am doing fine in the other part of the world. the problem lies in the fact that  we do not get a chance to practise english on a regular basis, that offcourse holds  true for  anything and everything  and any one and everyone. if you donot speak it on a regular basis you  do not get used to the language.
  i don't mind accents at all, some of my good friends and proffessors are high achievers in their field but they all have their localised accent, be it south Indian, punjabi or greek, italian, french accent.

I do blame the Indian gov or just plain Brits bcuz desh chod gaye par unka english abhi tak nahi gaya ya jane wala hai. 
Exmaple - Ppl aacuse Ashwariya Rai (not a fan) of trying so hard to speak Brit english buh its not her fault she was taught tht kinda English in schools.

Have you notice why our celebs say KANT instead of CAN'T - this is one simple thing tht pisses me off. Explain to me giving one good reason why they pronounce CAN properly but wen C-A-N apostrophe T comes in the whole word is pronounced differently!!!??? does NOt make sense.

yes but whats wrong it that/ though it sounds like a  fake accent, but whats wrong with the English? 
 if we start discussing how the celebs try their best to speak in  fake accents and end up sounding  like a FOB, it will  make a totally new forum i guess.LOL

both can and can't are supposed to be spoken as kan and kant or kahnt, not as can and Kan't,but that again proves my fake accent theory.Wink

i personally have no clue which accent i speak, and i found out, accents are a good way to indentify people, like where they come from,  even if they r speaking in a fake one, u can tell LOL, thats what i do whenever i face some one, try to figure out the origin :)
chinky801 Goldie
chinky801
chinky801

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged

I just watched the BB ? did Sweta say, "siletto" instead of stilettos..

also liked the way, Sweta recited Johny....

I think along with sleep, constantly uttering English (that too wrong english) is also against rules, as also the wrong english, as said by the women of the house, Sara, Sweta, Dolly and Veena are just hilarious..

except Aanchal, not anyone has a proper sense of English usage...I dont know why these ladies make such mockeries of themselves...I have heard Sweta, Sara and Veena uttering.." he want" instead of "he wants"...LOL

this discussion will base on the proper and improper use of English language in the show: very much as per the rule of the show.

Good catch Bani, I am yet to see the episode though ...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Omshanti1111

mihali7 Goldie
mihali7
mihali7

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged

its Ash Rai's own problem...I can assure you she was not taught the same in school..same goes with all celebrities...

Its not just Ash there r so many like almost all of them say tht even telly celebs......pay attention next time you'll surely hear them

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Omshanti1111

mihali7 Goldie
mihali7
mihali7

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged

yes but whats wrong it that/ though it sounds like a  fake accent, but whats wrong with the English? 
 if we start discussing how the celebs try their best to speak in  fake accents and end up sounding  like a FOB, it will  make a totally new forum i guess.LOL

both can and can't are supposed to be spoken as kan and kant or kahnt, not as can and Kan't,but that again proves my fake accent theory.Wink

i personally have no clue which accent i speak, and i found out, accents are a good way to indentify people, like where they come from,  even if they r speaking in a fake one, u can tell LOL, thats what i do whenever i face some one, try to figure out the origin :)

@bold one shud only say KAN n KAN'T only wen they r speaking in a Brit accent not if it is an Indian or American or Russian or Italian accent
Shizaru Goldie
Shizaru
Shizaru

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged
i have to say one thing on a serious note ......its not easy pronouncing words that arent your mother tongue........we can speak another language and fluently at that.......but all of us have diction issues at some point in any second language we speak.......
i speak punjabi fluently and diction is nigh on  perfect, ............until of course i get picked up by an older relative from back home who will not only correct me but also make fun of me..........i pronounce certain words with a slight english accent...........tis life.........we are where we are either by destiny or design (dependant on what we believe in).......so hanji becomes haaji.......tomato becomes tomatar........
Omshanti1111 IF-Sizzlerz
Omshanti1111
Omshanti1111

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged

Its not just Ash there r so many like almost all of them say tht even telly celebs......pay attention next time you'll surely hear them
I know yaar...this is a problem of copying...if you look at a truly educated person, you will never see him or her copying west blindly..
Look atour prime minister Manmohan singh...I am not into any political discussion, but anyone will say that he is a learned person, he has degrees from abroad...does he use american accent...
people who really are brought up from birth and during formative years have stayed abroad, if you listen to them, you can understand what an accent is...they dont make effort to get the accent, its natural...whereas for these celebrities or for anyone, they have to force themselves to speak with that accent and thus it becomes hilarious...

this discussion though started with ST, it was more a generalised discussion...its not attacking Sweta Tiwari in particular...its about everyone, who tries to show off without being qualified for the same..its not also about accent, but the way these women in BB4 utter wrong english..

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Bigg Boss Season 4 Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index