Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by Omshanti1111

its Ash Rai's own problem...I can assure you she was not taught the same in school..same goes with all celebrities...

Its not just Ash there r so many like almost all of them say tht even telly celebs......pay attention next time you'll surely hear them
Originally posted by Tannistha

yes but whats wrong it that/ though it sounds like a  fake accent, but whats wrong with the English? 
 if we start discussing how the celebs try their best to speak in  fake accents and end up sounding  like a FOB, it will  make a totally new forum i guess.๐Ÿ˜†

both can and can't are supposed to be spoken as kan and kant or kahnt, not as can and Kan't,but that again proves my fake accent theory.๐Ÿ˜‰

i personally have no clue which accent i speak, and i found out, accents are a good way to indentify people, like where they come from,  even if they r speaking in a fake one, u can tell ๐Ÿ˜†, thats what i do whenever i face some one, try to figure out the origin :)

@bold one shud only say KAN n KAN'T only wen they r speaking in a Brit accent not if it is an Indian or American or Russian or Italian accent
i have to say one thing on a serious note ......its not easy pronouncing words that arent your mother tongue........we can speak another language and fluently at that.......but all of us have diction issues at some point in any second language we speak.......
i speak punjabi fluently and diction is nigh on  perfect, ............until of course i get picked up by an older relative from back home who will not only correct me but also make fun of me..........i pronounce certain words with a slight english accent...........tis life.........we are where we are either by destiny or design (dependant on what we believe in).......so hanji becomes haaji.......tomato becomes tomatar........
Originally posted by mihali7

Its not just Ash there r so many like almost all of them say tht even telly celebs......pay attention next time you'll surely hear them
I know yaar...this is a problem of copying...if you look at a truly educated person, you will never see him or her copying west blindly..
Look atour prime minister Manmohan singh...I am not into any political discussion, but anyone will say that he is a learned person, he has degrees from abroad...does he use american accent...
people who really are brought up from birth and during formative years have stayed abroad, if you listen to them, you can understand what an accent is...they dont make effort to get the accent, its natural...whereas for these celebrities or for anyone, they have to force themselves to speak with that accent and thus it becomes hilarious...

this discussion though started with ST, it was more a generalised discussion...its not attacking Sweta Tiwari in particular...its about everyone, who tries to show off without being qualified for the same..its not also about accent, but the way these women in BB4 utter wrong english..
^lol yes yes i know buh hey I was just stating MPOV ๐Ÿ˜Š

first of al, i checked al the pages of the thread, and i found sum highly offensive cmments, lemme try to put thm here.

i m frm a state board in india, n i dont knw much english, can neither speak or write properly. bt i hv always tried to practise it here or in othr sites, tried to speak in englsh in colgs schools where it ws nt necessry. n i hv found my parents, frnds, n teachers appreciating ma efffort. i hv seen a comment 'my plain question...why speak in English, if you dont know the language..its like, .if one does not know how to dance, why claim and show off ...

this discussion is very much valid, as being a viewer, I can ask "why showing disrespect to a language"..
whr n hw ws it a show-off. ths line is plain offensive to me. i speak in broken englsh in conferences, n nw i hv a feeling tht as audience, people dnt like it much? shld i stop tryng tht n strt speaking in hindi whch m good at? if my englsh in stage is disrespcting the language, i shld stp doing tht.
secondly, hv seen a post '
you know why we love people like Seemaji, because they admit they are not educated...and are honest...they dont show off..' . ths is equally offensive, as i hv not got proper education frm englsh medium, i myt b torturing people, tht also i agree to. but my try to improve my language makes me uneducated? i didnt get ths post? seemaji or whoever ( i dont watch the show ) is honest tht she admits she's educated so othrs r dishonest tht they claim to be educated whn they r not?
thirdly, thr ws nother cmment, 'they are college/skool dropouts', so i guess whoever doesnt knw sum tough words, or they keep sayin wrng eng, or they dnno grammar, they r colg/skool dropouts?

speakin eng in bb whch is against d rule is totaly understandable,bt i dint understnd hw we hv got d ryt to demoralize people just becoz they speak wrong grammar.
also add to tht, in childhood, i ws tld tht 'participation is more imp than winning'. thts y people keep participatin in dance comp, evn if thy r novice at it. bt i dint knw tht unless u learn an art, u hv no ryt to practise it?

i donno if any of the contestants here boast of knowing englsh or nt, if they do, thts nt gud bt if they dnt n jz normally say in englsh, i dnt thnk any1 shld demoralize tht.
Originally posted by Rainbow29

also add to tht, in childhood, i ws tld tht 'participation is more imp than winning'. thts y people keep participatin in dance comp, evn if thy r novice at it. bt i dint knw tht unless u learn an art, u hv no ryt to practise it?

i donno if any of the contestants here boast of knowing englsh or nt, if they do, thts nt gud bt if they dnt n jz normally say in englsh, i dnt thnk any1 shld demoralize tht.

rainbowji you may not be eloquent or articulate in English but you have mastered the language of text speech and "abbreviations" well๐Ÿ˜‰

in childhood i was told not to get verbose about subjects i knew little or nothing about........๐Ÿ˜‰
Originally posted by Shizaru

rainbowji you may not be eloquent or articulate in English but you have mastered the language of text speech and "abbreviations" well๐Ÿ˜‰

in childhood i was told not to get verbose about subjects i knew little or nothing about........๐Ÿ˜‰

thnkoo shizaru, thnx to mobile n sms-days. lol. jz nt feelin lyk writng in propr eng becz it seems lyk englsh clas. lol. oderwis i dnt use abbrviatns much hehe.
Originally posted by Rainbow29

first of al, i checked al the pages of the thread, and i found sum highly offensive cmments, lemme try to put thm here.

i m frm a state board in india, n i dont knw much english, can neither speak or write properly. bt i hv always tried to practise it here or in othr sites, tried to speak in englsh in colgs schools where it ws nt necessry. n i hv found my parents, frnds, n teachers appreciating ma efffort. i hv seen a comment 'my plain question...why speak in English, if you dont know the language..its like, .if one does not know how to dance, why claim and show off ...

this discussion is very much valid, as being a viewer, I can ask "why showing disrespect to a language"..
whr n hw ws it a show-off. ths line is plain offensive to me. i speak in broken englsh in conferences, n nw i hv a feeling tht as audience, people dnt like it much? shld i stop tryng tht n strt speaking in hindi whch m good at? if my englsh in stage is disrespcting the language, i shld stp doing tht.
secondly, hv seen a post '
you know why we love people like Seemaji, because they admit they are not educated...and are honest...they dont show off..' . ths is equally offensive, as i hv not got proper education frm englsh medium, i myt b torturing people, tht also i agree to. but my try to improve my language makes me uneducated? i didnt get ths post? seemaji or whoever ( i dont watch the show ) is honest tht she admits she's educated so othrs r dishonest tht they claim to be educated whn they r not?
thirdly, thr ws nother cmment, 'they are college/skool dropouts', so i guess whoever doesnt knw sum tough words, or they keep sayin wrng eng, or they dnno grammar, they r colg/skool dropouts?

speakin eng in bb whch is against d rule is totaly understandable,bt i dint understnd hw we hv got d ryt to demoralize people just becoz they speak wrong grammar.
they very fact that you are stating that "you are educated but you admit that you are not flawless" shows how honest you are and that you are indeed educated..anyone who is willing to learn and admit shortcomings are not criticised rather praised..
I apologise for hurting anyone like you, my intent was not that..but I am myself hurt that after reading all these pages, you could not make out that we were not trying to make fun of anyone, rather trying to stop people who show off..

infact, I appreciate people like you...you are educated,who do not show off. I stay in USA, and pursue a career here. I can call myself educated, but I do not have any fascination for accent.