Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Are all addictions equally difficult to deal with? (Page 6)

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

I had an addiction to eating chalk when I was 3 years old. Stern Smile I can still remember it's taste.. Big smile But I stopped eating it once I got a tight slap from my mom. I freaking stopped eating it.

That is a common habit in kids. It is not exactly an addiction, but a means for kids to get calcium.

You have got to be kidding me! Confused  what about good old:

http://www.treehugger.com/stainless%20milk%20jug.jpg
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged
Drugs and alcohol addiction is completely different from an addiction to the internet, TV or video games. The chemicals in drugs and alcohol alter your brain, causing chemical dependencies. Different substances have different addiction rates, different body impact and different quitting rates. Caffeine, Nicotine and alcohol all are different. Recreational drugs are different from hard drugs.

These can be really difficult because the entire bodies state of being is altered and withdrawal symptoms are highly physical including fever, shivering etc.

On the other hand other addictions like IF or gaming etc are purely psychological/social addictions. Your brain is not altered or impacted in any way. The dependency is completely created because of a mental state of being you enter when indulging in this. Withdrawal symptoms are not physical but more psychological like depression, longing, irritation, boredom etc.

Some feel that chemical dependencies are physical, visible and can be treated through medical procedures - but since psychological dependencies have no physical aspect to cure, it can be harder to break someone from a mental cycle. But a psychological dependency on net or games to the extent of chemical dependencies are very rare. Most people only feel they are addicted, but mostly are at a state where they are just obsessed. If push comes to shove, its easy to quit things like net or games - but once dependent on a drug - people can't quit even if their life depended on it.

Chemical dependencies are definitely much more dangerous, have far reaching consequences and need priority in addressing.

I believe certain drugs can be consumed responsibly without overuse or addiction. It depends on the mental resolve and responsibility of the individual. 
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

You have got to be kidding me! Confused  what about good old:

http://www.treehugger.com/stainless%20milk%20jug.jpg

Some kids can be lactose intolerant and don't consume dairy. Some kids don't drink milk. There is also the chance of milk being poor quality or diluted. Growing children need very high amounts of calcium for bones to develop, and often times the diet falls short - so kids crave calcium and eat things like chalk or lime. There are calcium supplements or calcium enhanced milk available for kids who do that. If your kid is eating chalk, check with the doctor and see if they need a calcium supplement.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-likeDevil

mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged

Drugs and alcohol addiction is completely different from an addiction to the internet, TV or video games. The chemicals in drugs and alcohol alter your brain, causing chemical dependencies. Different substances have different addiction rates, different body impact and different quitting rates. Caffeine, Nicotine and alcohol all are different. Recreational drugs are different from hard drugs.

These can be really difficult because the entire bodies state of being is altered and withdrawal symptoms are highly physical including fever, shivering etc.

On the other hand other addictions like IF or gaming etc are purely psychological/social addictions. Your brain is not altered or impacted in any way. The dependency is completely created because of a mental state of being you enter when indulging in this. Withdrawal symptoms are not physical but more psychological like depression, longing, irritation, boredom etc.

Some feel that chemical dependencies are physical, visible and can be treated through medical procedures - but since psychological dependencies have no physical aspect to cure, it can be harder to break someone from a mental cycle. But a psychological dependency on net or games to the extent of chemical dependencies are very rare. Most people only feel they are addicted, but mostly are at a state where they are just obsessed. If push comes to shove, its easy to quit things like net or games - but once dependent on a drug - people can't quit even if their life depended on it.

Chemical dependencies are definitely much more dangerous, have far reaching consequences and need priority in addressing.

I believe certain drugs can be consumed responsibly without overuse or addiction. It depends on the mental resolve and responsibility of the individual. 

There are some extreme cases where behavioural tendencies seem almost incurable!

Angel-likeDevil

kia_s IF-Dazzler
kia_s
kia_s

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged
@joe -  i am currently in the first state of IF addiction you mentioned in the topic, which predominantly started due to boredom and inactivity. I  have realised all my addictions have started like they r my first crush....giddy and exciting.....but i eventually move on. it fades away for me. sometimes i even look back and wonder what  was i addicted so much about.

Some addictions as mentioned by other members are hard to break,some are life long like addiction on a favourite color which i do have though i am not sure if i can call it an addiction, some are just passing clouds.....they fade away.

Edited by kia_s - 12 December 2010 at 3:35pm
Angel-likeDevil IF-Sizzlerz
Angel-likeDevil
Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

I had an addiction to eating chalk when I was 3 years old. Stern Smile I can still remember it's taste.. Big smile But I stopped eating it once I got a tight slap from my mom. I freaking stopped eating it.

That is a common habit in kids. It is not exactly an addiction, but a means for kids to get calcium.

Uff, I forgot that me and my cousin sis would eat them together.. LOL 
.EatMyShorts. Senior Member

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
mr.ass IF-Rockerz
mr.ass
mr.ass

Posted: 13 December 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kia_s

@joe -  i am currently in the first state of IF addiction you mentioned in the topic, which predominantly started due to boredom and inactivity. I  have realised all my addictions have started like they r my first crush....giddy and exciting.....but i eventually move on. it fades away for me. sometimes i even look back and wonder what  was i addicted so much about.

Some addictions as mentioned by other members are hard to break,some are life long like addiction on a favourite color which i do have though i am not sure if i can call it an addiction, some are just passing clouds.....they fade away.

oh it's nothing wrong in liking a color a lot! I used to love pink a lot, but then at my 3rd birthday party an uncle told me it was a girlie color and boys should like blue. LOL he saved me from being mocked at at school lol.. I loved blue ever since, but now I like black and purple and even pink.. infact I looove p1nk Embarrassed LOL

kia_s

Go to top