Debate Mansion

Are all addictions equally difficult to deal with?

mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I remember having a deadly addiction a couple of years ago. It was called "India forums" I used to wake up, brush, bathe etc watch a lil' bit o tv, but the first thing I did when I turned on the pc was to start the net, and log on to IF.. it was pathetic! Luckily I realised this and then I trained my fingers. I trained them to log on to gmail instead πŸ˜† And since gmail wasn't addictive, I got rid of the IFaddiction without getting addicted to gmail, so nowadays I can avoid IF if I want to.

But are all addictions equally difficult? Is it just a psychological thing, and depends on the the mental strength of a person? Or does it have more to do with the nature of the item you are addcited to? For example my dad can drink n smoke without getting addicted  , and after I was born he freaking stopped smoking and nowadays he barely drinks(he never got drunk even once btw, he can hold his liquor). Also is it totally different from getting addicted to drugs? Or is a strong mind good enough to get yourself out of drugs. Or do such people who take drugs have weak minds anyway?

Your thoughts, people! πŸ˜ƒ

Joe

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
All addictions are bad OBJ . Its easier getting in than out . Reminds me of a chakravyuh ! Some are optimistic of being able to get out of here whenever they please and seem to be doing a good job of it too! But as far as I m concerned I m not that optimistic about my ability to do that . I m learning that the hard way !! 
It makes a lot of sense not to get in at all ! having got out once it makes sense not to return , but then its not called addiction for nothing πŸ˜†
The most effective way is to get unplugged from the net and that isnt easier either !
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I think addiction means... if you do it, nothing is gained... if you don't do it, you feel that something is missing....... It gives us a kind of dependence...I think one of the great things in life is tht if you understand the root cause of something u can overcome it without any trouble, without any willpower...... If u use willpower to stop it you will find some substitute  u will have to find some substitute....so if you can understand the root of something it disappears, it evaporates.... Unless u understand the root it will continue in one form or another...so be watchful urself..😊
mr.ass thumbnail
Originally posted by: angie.4u

All addictions are bad OBJ . Its easier getting in than out . Reminds me of a chakravyuh ! Some are optimistic of being able to get out of here whenever they please and seem to be doing a good job of it too! But as far as I m concerned I m not that optimistic about my ability to do that . I m learning that the hard way !! 

It makes a lot of sense not to get in at all ! having got out once it makes sense not to return , but then its not called addiction for nothing πŸ˜†
The most effective way is to get unplugged from the net and that isnt easier either !

So being addicted to a tv show is equal to being addicted to meth or pot? Let's take 2 people with equal mental fortitude. Once gets hooked on pot, the other on going to a site. Will it be equally difficult for both people to get out of their addictions?

I agree, it is a vicious cycle.

Well getting unplugged from the net isn't practical, we need the net for other stuff, don't we?
mr.ass thumbnail
Originally posted by: Believe

I think addiction means... if you do it, nothing is gained... if you don't do it, you feel that something is missing....... It gives us a kind of dependence...I think one of the great things in life is tht if you understand the root cause of something u can overcome it without any trouble, without any willpower...... If u use willpower to stop it you will find some substitute  u will have to find some substitute....so if you can understand the root of something it disappears, it evaporates.... Unless u understand the root it will continue in one form or another...so be watchful urself..😊

Yeah, that's how the mechanism works.. you don't know how you can live without doing what you are addicted to. But is that always the root cause? How many forms can the root cause take?
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: old-black-joe

Yeah, that's how the mechanism works.. you don't know how you can live without doing what you are addicted to. But is that always the root cause? How many forms can the root cause take?

Personaly to divert my mind, I usualy take 'IF ' breaks from my office works😊....I think there are two types of addiction in life .... one is negative addiction... a man becomes an alcoholic or a man becomes a heroin addict or a smoker or anything..... Then there are positive addictions... a man becomes a runner or a great swimmer  or a muscian...or IF-er...  these are positive addictionsπŸ˜ƒ.....But addiction is the same ...If people who are will oriented becom negatively addicted, their life is wasted..... If they become positively addicted thn they are gr8 creators....and u know another fact....once you have become addicted, then there is no need for any effort. It becomes natural, it becomes your second nature...bt be watchful urself..πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by Believe - 13 years ago
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
 Addiction to drugs is substance addiction and getting drawn to things like computer, TV or a person is behavioral addiction. Addiction is where a person feels the conpulsion to do something or see something?

My dad smoked right infront of his parents, just to see what and why people smoke so much. He says smoking was just taking some smoke in and puffing it out, and that there's NOTHING in it but smoke.. :\ Plus, it leaves you're mouth tasteless too. The addiction totally depends on you're mind.. my dad said he smoked sometimes when he was offered a cigarette but he never got addicted. Same with drinking liquor, I never saw him drunk, neither did he ever see himself getting drunk. He stays the same after drinking.

So, addiction is purely based on mental strength, seeing how my dad and you're dad don't budge.

I had an addiction to eating chalk when I was 3 years old. πŸ˜³ I can still remember it's taste.. πŸ˜ƒ But I stopped eating it once I got a tight slap from my mom. I freaking stopped eating it.

Coming to my addiction to IF, I was initially addicted to IF, I couldn't go to sleep without coming on IF, I remember staying up til 5am and all πŸ˜† and I also could never start my day without logging onto IF. Soon as I returned home from college, I'd land up on here. πŸ˜† 
Later, I started having enough time, so, I started to get enough of IF. And the addiction slowly reduced as I could spend more time here.. Now, I finish up with all my activities and then come on over here.. so, I guess I'm a addicted to it to a little extent, but.. I can say that I CAN go to sleep without coming here and, I can start my day without logging on.
So, it can be seen that my addiction does not last longer.. πŸ˜†

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 13 years ago
mr.ass thumbnail
Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

Addiction to drugs is substance addiction and getting drawn to things like computer, TV or a person is behavioral addiction. Addiction is where a person feels the conpulsion to do something or see something?

My dad smoked right infront of his parents, just to see what and why people smoke so much. He says smoking was just taking some smoke in and puffing it out, and that there's NOTHING in it but smoke.. :\ Plus, it leaves you're mouth tasteless too. The addiction totally depends on you're mind.. my dad said he smoked sometimes when he was offered a cigarette but he never got addicted. Same with drinking liquor, I never saw him drunk, neither did he ever see himself getting drunk. He stays the same after drinking.

So, addiction is purely based on mental strength, seeing how my dad and you're dad don't budge.

I had an addiction to eating chalk when I was 3 years old. πŸ˜³ I can still remember it's taste.. πŸ˜ƒ But I stopped eating it once I got a tight slap from my mom. I freaking stopped eating it.

Coming to my addiction to IF, I was initially addicted to IF, I couldn't go to sleep without coming on IF, I remember staying up til 5am and all πŸ˜† and I also could never start my day without logging onto IF. Soon as I returned home from college, I'd land up on here. πŸ˜† 
Later, I started having enough time, so, I started to get enough of IF. And the addiction slowly reduced as I could spend more time here.. Now, I finish up with all my activities and then come on over here.. so, I guess I'm a addicted to it to a little extent, but.. I can say that I CAN go to sleep without coming here and, I can start my day without logging on.
So, it can be seen that my addiction does not last longer.. πŸ˜†

CHALK? πŸ˜† well I used to like those sweet cigarettes  πŸ˜† they were edible though.

I had an amazing 75 % + average, but then one semster ago I got a miserable 65% thanks to my freakin if addiction! πŸ˜­   so I quit IF much to the surprise of some people like shad, wa, etc πŸ˜›

One great thing i noticed that behavioural has over substance addiction is that you get "bored".. like 99.5% of my old if buddies have vanished, only baz and ajnu being left, and now baz has a job and ajnu is less frequent here, so if it weren't for guys like debu, you, p1nk etc I would quit IF cold turkey πŸ˜† You don't ever get "bored" of the substances. I feel it's more of a challenge  for some reason, although I don't know why.

my uncle died because of substance abuse πŸ˜†

So being addicted to a tv show is equal to being addicted to meth or pot? Let's take 2 people with equal mental fortitude. Once gets hooked on pot, the other on going to a site. Will it be equally difficult for both people to get out of their addictions?

I agree, it is a vicious cycle.

Well getting unplugged from the net isn't practical, we need the net for other stuff, don't we?

Drug addiction is not easy compared to addiction to net, atleast that's what I think..

In drug addiction a person takes a chemical that stays in our body and might cause intoxication that causes the NEED to take the drug repeatedly, causes the person to become physiologically dependent on the drug. It affects the person physically wherein his body has vulnerability to deteriorate and this person withdraws from the society due to his inability to respond to the environment... The person also sees hallucinations, delusions and all.

While the internet  addiction is nothing what drug addiction is. You remain psychologically stable whilst being addicted to it, you have same response to stimuli/environment and you do not get physiologically involved with internet addiction.

CHALK? πŸ˜† well I used to like those sweet cigarettes  πŸ˜† they were edible though.

I had an amazing 75 % + average, but then one semster ago I got a miserable 65% thanks to my freakin if addiction! πŸ˜­   so I quit IF much to the surprise of some people like shad, wa, etc πŸ˜›

One great thing i noticed that behavioural has over substance addiction is that you get "bored".. like 99.5% of my old if buddies have vanished, only baz and ajnu being left, and now baz has a job and ajnu is less frequent here, so if it weren't for guys like debu, you, p1nk etc I would quit IF cold turkey πŸ˜† You don't ever get "bored" of the substances. I feel it's more of a challenge  for some reason, although I don't know why.

my uncle died because of substance abuse πŸ˜†

Yeahh.. Tongue And I had friend who used to eat mud.. 😲 πŸ˜† 

You are scaring me, I think I should quit IF for 3 months just incase I fall back into IF addiction πŸ˜† 

I agree, OBJ, there was a point of time when I was bored with IF. I'm guessing you do not get bored with substance addiction b'cos the addiction actually enters you're body and stimulates the body?

WOW, you must have loved you're uncle.. Tongue 

EDIT : I just got a thought, I think you get 'bored' with things when have prolonged obsession with something? I was obsessed with FB when I was new to it, but then I got bored of it.. many said I was addicted but, no, I was obsessed with it. How do we exactly know that we're addicted and not obsessed?
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 13 years ago