Debate Mansion

Are all addictions equally difficult to deal with?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 13

Page 1
Page   of 13
Page 2 Page 13

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged
I remember having a deadly addiction a couple of years ago. It was called "India forums" I used to wake up, brush, bathe etc watch a lil' bit o tv, but the first thing I did when I turned on the pc was to start the net, and log on to IF.. it was pathetic! Luckily I realised this and then I trained my fingers. I trained them to log on to gmail instead LOL And since gmail wasn't addictive, I got rid of the IFaddiction without getting addicted to gmail, so nowadays I can avoid IF if I want to.

But are all addictions equally difficult? Is it just a psychological thing, and depends on the the mental strength of a person? Or does it have more to do with the nature of the item you are addcited to? For example my dad can drink n smoke without getting addicted  , and after I was born he freaking stopped smoking and nowadays he barely drinks(he never got drunk even once btw, he can hold his liquor). Also is it totally different from getting addicted to drugs? Or is a strong mind good enough to get yourself out of drugs. Or do such people who take drugs have weak minds anyway?

Your thoughts, people! Big smile

Joe

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

P1nkJATINTHAKKARElusiveDevotionShipra_SAngel-likeDevil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Are all addictions equally difficult to deal with?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged
All addictions are bad OBJ . Its easier getting in than out . Reminds me of a chakravyuh ! Some are optimistic of being able to get out of here whenever they please and seem to be doing a good job of it too! But as far as I m concerned I m not that optimistic about my ability to do that . I m learning that the hard way !! 
It makes a lot of sense not to get in at all ! having got out once it makes sense not to return , but then its not called addiction for nothing LOL
The most effective way is to get unplugged from the net and that isnt easier either !

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mr.ass

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 2:16am | IP Logged
I think addiction means... if you do it, nothing is gained... if you don't do it, you feel that something is missing....... It gives us a kind of dependence...I think one of the great things in life is tht if you understand the root cause of something u can overcome it without any trouble, without any willpower...... If u use willpower to stop it you will find some substitute  u will have to find some substitute....so if you can understand the root of something it disappears, it evaporates.... Unless u understand the root it will continue in one form or another...so be watchful urself..Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

mr.assShipra_S

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angie.4u

All addictions are bad OBJ . Its easier getting in than out . Reminds me of a chakravyuh ! Some are optimistic of being able to get out of here whenever they please and seem to be doing a good job of it too! But as far as I m concerned I m not that optimistic about my ability to do that . I m learning that the hard way !! 
It makes a lot of sense not to get in at all ! having got out once it makes sense not to return , but then its not called addiction for nothing LOL
The most effective way is to get unplugged from the net and that isnt easier either !

So being addicted to a tv show is equal to being addicted to meth or pot? Let's take 2 people with equal mental fortitude. Once gets hooked on pot, the other on going to a site. Will it be equally difficult for both people to get out of their addictions?

I agree, it is a vicious cycle.

Well getting unplugged from the net isn't practical, we need the net for other stuff, don't we?

Angel-likeDevil

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 3:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

I think addiction means... if you do it, nothing is gained... if you don't do it, you feel that something is missing....... It gives us a kind of dependence...I think one of the great things in life is tht if you understand the root cause of something u can overcome it without any trouble, without any willpower...... If u use willpower to stop it you will find some substitute  u will have to find some substitute....so if you can understand the root of something it disappears, it evaporates.... Unless u understand the root it will continue in one form or another...so be watchful urself..Smile

Yeah, that's how the mechanism works.. you don't know how you can live without doing what you are addicted to. But is that always the root cause? How many forms can the root cause take?

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by old-black-joe

Originally posted by Believe

Yeah, that's how the mechanism works.. you don't know how you can live without doing what you are addicted to. But is that always the root cause? How many forms can the root cause take?

Personaly to divert my mind, I usualy take 'IF ' breaks from my office worksSmile....I think there are two types of addiction in life .... one is negative addiction... a man becomes an alcoholic or a man becomes a heroin addict or a smoker or anything..... Then there are positive addictions... a man becomes a runner or a great swimmer  or a muscian...or IF-er...  these are positive addictionsBig smile.....But addiction is the same ...If people who are will oriented becom negatively addicted, their life is wasted..... If they become positively addicted thn they are gr8 creators....and u know another fact....once you have become addicted, then there is no need for any effort. It becomes natural, it becomes your second nature...bt be watchful urself..Big smile

Edited by Believe - 12 December 2010 at 4:12am

Angel-likeDevil

IF-Sizzlerz

Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 4:21am | IP Logged
 Addiction to drugs is substance addiction and getting drawn to things like computer, TV or a person is behavioral addiction. Addiction is where a person feels the conpulsion to do something or see something?

My dad smoked right infront of his parents, just to see what and why people smoke so much. He says smoking was just taking some smoke in and puffing it out, and that there's NOTHING in it but smoke.. :\ Plus, it leaves you're mouth tasteless too. The addiction totally depends on you're mind.. my dad said he smoked sometimes when he was offered a cigarette but he never got addicted. Same with drinking liquor, I never saw him drunk, neither did he ever see himself getting drunk. He stays the same after drinking.

So, addiction is purely based on mental strength, seeing how my dad and you're dad don't budge.

I had an addiction to eating chalk when I was 3 years old. Stern Smile I can still remember it's taste.. Big smile But I stopped eating it once I got a tight slap from my mom. I freaking stopped eating it.

Coming to my addiction to IF, I was initially addicted to IF, I couldn't go to sleep without coming on IF, I remember staying up til 5am and all LOL and I also could never start my day without logging onto IF. Soon as I returned home from college, I'd land up on here. LOL 
Later, I started having enough time, so, I started to get enough of IF. And the addiction slowly reduced as I could spend more time here.. Now, I finish up with all my activities and then come on over here.. so, I guess I'm a addicted to it to a little extent, but.. I can say that I CAN go to sleep without coming here and, I can start my day without logging on.
So, it can be seen that my addiction does not last longer.. LOL

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 12 December 2010 at 4:24am

mr.ass

mr.ass

IF-Rockerz

mr.ass

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 4:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

Addiction to drugs is substance addiction and getting drawn to things like computer, TV or a person is behavioral addiction. Addiction is where a person feels the conpulsion to do something or see something?

My dad smoked right infront of his parents, just to see what and why people smoke so much. He says smoking was just taking some smoke in and puffing it out, and that there's NOTHING in it but smoke.. :\ Plus, it leaves you're mouth tasteless too. The addiction totally depends on you're mind.. my dad said he smoked sometimes when he was offered a cigarette but he never got addicted. Same with drinking liquor, I never saw him drunk, neither did he ever see himself getting drunk. He stays the same after drinking.

So, addiction is purely based on mental strength, seeing how my dad and you're dad don't budge.

I had an addiction to eating chalk when I was 3 years old. Stern Smile I can still remember it's taste.. Big smile But I stopped eating it once I got a tight slap from my mom. I freaking stopped eating it.

Coming to my addiction to IF, I was initially addicted to IF, I couldn't go to sleep without coming on IF, I remember staying up til 5am and all LOL and I also could never start my day without logging onto IF. Soon as I returned home from college, I'd land up on here. LOL 
Later, I started having enough time, so, I started to get enough of IF. And the addiction slowly reduced as I could spend more time here.. Now, I finish up with all my activities and then come on over here.. so, I guess I'm a addicted to it to a little extent, but.. I can say that I CAN go to sleep without coming here and, I can start my day without logging on.
So, it can be seen that my addiction does not last longer.. LOL

CHALK? LOL well I used to like those sweet cigarettes  LOL they were edible though.

I had an amazing 75 % + average, but then one semster ago I got a miserable 65% thanks to my freakin if addiction! Cry   so I quit IF much to the surprise of some people like shad, wa, etc Tongue

One great thing i noticed that behavioural has over substance addiction is that you get "bored".. like 99.5% of my old if buddies have vanished, only baz and ajnu being left, and now baz has a job and ajnu is less frequent here, so if it weren't for guys like debu, you, p1nk etc I would quit IF cold turkey LOL You don't ever get "bored" of the substances. I feel it's more of a challenge  for some reason, although I don't know why.

my uncle died because of substance abuse LOL

Angel-likeDevil

Post Reply New Post

Go to top