Why do people commit suicide

Posted: 13 years ago

Over the years the act of suicide has followed man. There are a growing number of suicides. The people who commit to this act usually leaving notes revealing their loneliness.  I in no way mean to offend anyone who's world has been rocked by an occurrence like this but in this day in age we are so connected that the idea of loneliness has grown. 

People who've survived suicide attempts have reported wanting not so much to die as to stop living. If some in-between state existed, some other alternative to death, I suspect many suicidal people would take it.

In general, people try to kill themselves for various reasons

The most common reason for people committing suicide is depression. The pain of existence often becomes too much for severely depressed people to bear. The state of depression warps their thinking, allowing ideas like "Everyone would all be better off without me" to make rational sense.

Since depression, as we all know, is almost always treatable, we should all seek to recognize its presence in our close friends and loved ones. Often people suffer with it silently, planning suicide without anyone ever knowing. If you suspect someone might be depressed, don't allow your tendency to deny the possibility of suicidal ideation prevent you from asking about it.

The people committing suicide are often very impulsive (often related to drugs and alcohol), some people become maudlin and impulsively attempt to end their own lives because of different addictions. Once sobered and calmed, these people usually feel emphatically ashamed. The remorse is usually genuine, and whether or not they'll ever attempt suicide again is unpredictable. They may try it again the very next time they become drunk or high, or never again in their lifetime. Hospital admission is therefore not usually indicated. Substance abuse and the underlying reasons for it are generally a greater concern in these people and should be addressed as aggressively as possible.

These people (with suicidal tendency)  often cry out for help, and don't know how to get it. These people don't usually want to die but do want to alert those around them that something is seriously wrong. They often don't believe they will die, frequently choosing methods they don't think can kill them in order to strike out at someone who's hurt them, but are sometimes tragically misinformed.

The decision to commit suicide for some is based on a reasoned decision often motivated by the presence of a painful terminal illness from which little to no hope of reprieve exists. These people aren't depressed, psychotic, or crying out for help. They're trying to take control of their destiny and alleviate their own suffering, which usually can only be done in death. They often look at their choice to commit suicide as a way to shorten a dying that will happen regardless.

The wounds suicide leaves in the lives of those left behind by it are often deep and long lasting. The apparent senselessness of suicide often fuels the most significant pain survivors feel.

Edited by raatkarahi - 13 years ago

People who have committed suicide have always been a little more intelligent than the normal people... for eg. Psychologists commit suicide twice as much as any other profession.... Painters, poets, philosophers either go mad or commit suicide....Idiots have never been known to commit suicide, nor do they go mad...j/k

I read in one article it says that, average American is looking at the television five to five hours a day... five hours of just being a spectator, not a participant..I think like this people lost contact with life...and like this people like simply see others living...life is just to watch.... Somebody is in a competition for a world championship in chess, and you are watching. Can't you play chess yourself? Can't you play football yourself? Cant you walk, or run or sing or dance?! can do many things in life...be productive, try njoy whatever you do..hope then people can change/divert their mind...I think those suicides are also unproductive, uncreative.... u may not commit suicide by taking poison or jumping from a cliff or by shooting urself, bt you can commit a suicide which is a very slow process, and that's what happens. Very few people commit suicide suddenly.....I think people who commit suicide becose of hunger, becos of starvation, because thy cannot manage to live  and life becomes such a torture....people commit suicide not becos they think thy are really finished with life bt bcos life is not fulfilling their demands.... Bt those people dont know,no life ever fulfills anybody's demands....will always go on missing something or other... if you have money, u may not be beautiful....if you are beautiful..you may not rich.n blah blah..mind play ugly games.....If you can learn to rejoice, you will be accepted..cherish whatever things u have...enjoy the god of small things in life..😊
I think it is easier to pass judgments on others than actually having to face the world from their shoes. Most of us haven't gone through such dark times (or at least I hope so) to know what it feels like knowing (or believing) that there is no hope left for a brighter day ahead. Hopelessness is what drives people to end their lives. Most people can cope up with occasional sadness, but to know that there is no hope left and that the rest of your life will be spent (or wasted) on misery is not an easy thought at all. People want an easy way out...but then, does ending your life end the problem? My biggest fear is if there is no life after this one. I don't care how the after life is. I think I can struggle to live and find happiness as long as I exist. But the thought of not existing at all is...scary. And everything seems pointless if we just live and exist once and die and then cease to exist at all. So no suicide or the "easy way out" for me. I am going to cherish this life and live it to my fullest no matter how hopeless the situation is or how rough the time comes.

Am I even on the topic? 😆
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 13 years ago
Originally posted by MacGyver

Because they dont want to play anymore and run away ... cuz they'r scared ... cuz they'r weaker ... cuz they'r not intelligent enough to understand that tommorow might be better ... cuz they disapprove themselves more than anyone else would ....

They dont realise that after a year later they might just think about this low point and smile/laugh and keep it as a memory.

Bad days, just like good days ... passes away and is there no more. This simple stuff is equal to rocket science for some!

If they were in a state to understand this simple rocket science why would they even  think of committing suicide !!!!!
Its basically because they are depressed or feel helpless. With lack of family or friends support matters can become worse. With the breakdown of family structure depression is more common these days. To get over this period some take to alcohol or drugs.
In the end its just exercising their free will and right ...they are not harming anyone else ...so let them do whatever their free will tells them ...😉
People commit suicide when they come to the conclusion that life is not worth living anymore. They feel alone even in a crowd, and that no one would want them, care for them or even miss them.

The Samaritans and National Suicide Center state "Suicide is not chosen, it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain." It is not a conscious choice, but something that happens when the balancing scale of life tips in the wrong direction. Suicidal tendencies are the hardest issues for humans to empathize with because most of us have either never felt that level of pain or loss in life, or even if we did we had the support resources to cope with it. Suicidal people may have families and friends that love and cherish them. A lot of times people are unaware of how much they are loved because in the hustle bustle of life we do tend to take each other for granted and don't alway show how much we care. In times of great pain, people need a lot more of that extra love and support.

A lot of people have the tendency to label suicide as cowardice. Perhaps from a perspective it is cowardice to try to end pain or run away from it. However, personally I've always been averse to viewing it as cowardly. It takes a lot of courage to be willing to sacrifice everything you know and love, everything that you have of your life and identity and take a leap into the unknown abyss of death - something really has to push someone so far to the edge that they either leap or fall.

Alcohol and drugs have an unusual relationship with depression. It is like a vicious cycle. Alcohol and drugs tend to be the leading cause of suicide; however, they are not the exact cause but catalysts. People who do not have coping resources in life tend to turn to alcohol and drugs to deal with pain. Being drunk or high, puts one in an altered state of mind where the pain is not that difficult to cope with. Unfortunately, alcohol and drugs make people dependent, steeping them more into depression and dependency. Many are afraid to sober up or relapse after sobering up because they are not capable of handling the pain. A good rehabilitation clinic does not focus only on ending the physical dependency but providing psychological support so that the person is emotionally and socially capable of addressing issues without challenges.
Originally posted by zorrro

Its basically because they are depressed or feel helpless. With lack of family or friends support matters can become worse. With the breakdown of family structure depression is more common these days. To get over this period some take to alcohol or drugs.
In the end its just exercising their free will and right ...they are not harming anyone else ...so let them do whatever their free will tells them ...😉

Your unwavering ethics and calm rational maturity are indeed impressive. It must feel really good to be in a place in life where one is truly a notch above the others. 😊
People commit suicide because they are tired. They are scared. They feel hopeless. They feel useless. They feel helpless. They feel they can't do it anymore. They just feel they can't live their lives anymore. They find their lives rubbish and they think - "Why should I live? There is no point in living. You only suffer, and feel pain, and hurt".

Or, they are being pressured. For example:

A person might be pressurized by their parents that if you don't get an A+ then you will never live in this house again, and you will never talk to me again.

The person might think:

"It's better to die then live such a horrible life where you get an F in every exam, and then don't ever get to talk to your parents again"

That is my point of view.
How about people who kill their online IDs and come back with a new one?  By kill I mean really kill them by using their friends to spread the word that they passed away in RL!!!

Should we treat such cases as cyber-suicides?  Is it okay for folks to play with other folks' emotions in this manner - even if they knew those folks only virtually?
Edited by Gauri_3 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by Gauri_3

How about people who kill their online IDs and come back with a new one?  By kill I mean really kill them by using their friends to spread the word that they passed away in RL!!!

Should we treat such cases as cyber-suicides?  Is it okay for folks to play with other folks' emotions in this manner - even if they knew those folks only virtually?

Also, even if a death did occur, family members/relatives need to at least respect the deceased's privacy. Even if that person thought it significant enough to share their password before their death, you would think their loved ones would have enough maturity and/or self-respect to not go reading their PMs, visiting their friends' profiles and reading their scraps, using the deceased's account to make scraps and then delete them, and hide the fact that they are related to that member. All these major coincidences lead one to question whether this, in fact, is a case of "cyber-suicide" or not.

I can't help but wonder why these relatives always end up online on the same forums after their loved one has passed away. Why does it never occur to them before - during that person's lifetime? 

Playing with people's emotions online seems to not seem as significant or immoral to people for some reason. The concept is something I have a very hard time wrapping my head around - there are real people with real emotions behind these virtual IDs.
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Should we treat such cases as cyber-suicides?  --Ever tried!?
Is it okay for folks to play with other folks' emotions in this manner - even if they knew those folks only virtually?

^Yaa....true
Some people show n do emotional Hathyaachaar in virtual life...