Debate Mansion

You are Fat vs You need to lose Weight..

simikr thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago

I feel that if you care for somebody who is overweight/obese you would tell them that they need to lose weight because of health reasons rather than call them 'Fat' which is usually counterproductive...

A similar approach works better when you want to dissuade somebody from smoking, consuming alcohol in excess etc....

Any thoughts?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Completely depends on the individual you are dealing with.

Some people respond best to soft encouraging approaches. You need to lose weight, you can be healthier and feel better etc. Some people though do need tough love where you tell them point blank "you are overweight/obese etc". They don't respond unless you are tough and blunt.

However, you will always have people no matter which approach you use who will get offended and wallow in self pity. You will always have people no matter what approach you use who will care less and live and do as they please.  

but....but...but...they need to lose fat because they are fat - rightπŸ€”

j/k.  I agree with what RTH siad above.  What we tell who and how we tell it depends on your rapport with that person.
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
uptil the eighth , I was kinda chubby, then one day I watched a match which had this guy:

It was my aim to get like this guy, so I worked out a lot! Although I only have a two pack πŸ˜†, I did lose a lot of weight, and am generally a more active guy.

The best motivation is self motivation. πŸ˜ƒ
Roadrunnerz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
just gift them a mirror , that should make them see themselves for what they are, if they are ok with it then let them be
simikr thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Agree with all that you say...

In my profession, I deal with a lot of people who are suffering the consequences of being fat such as diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure and I'm responsible for their 'better' health and they come to me for answers..such why am I on so many medications, or why do my knees hurt?

So I appraoch them with solid facts and data such as if you lose 5% of your body weight you may no longer need meds for yr Blood pressure..and that has worked.

But yes, the key is Self Motivation!!

And yes, I'm a physician:)
simi_1 thumbnail
Originally posted by: simiv

Agree with all that you say...

In my profession, I deal with a lot of people who are suffering the consequences of being fat such as diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure and I'm responsible for their 'better' health and they come to me for answers..such why am I on so many medications, or why do my knees hurt?

So I appraoch them with solid facts and data such as if you lose 5% of your body weight you may no longer need meds for yr Blood pressure..and that has worked.

But yes, the key is Self Motivation!!

And yes, I'm a physician:)

Girl who listens to a physician,  especially about diet, all that they care about is some kind of magic pill to take care of all their diseases, without understanding they are the root cause for most of them

one aunty was complaining to my mom , on the one hand insurance is so high, and all that this doctor does is ask me to reduce my weightπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Desis I tell youπŸ˜‰
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Tip to reduce weight: first turn your head to the left and then turn it to the right, repeat this exercise every time you are offered something to eat. πŸ˜ƒ
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
It depends on whether the person is close to me.. πŸ˜† If it's my mom or dad or my best friend, I'd say "you're fat and so, you need to lose weight.".

If they're others, it's "I'm sorry if this offends you, but I think you need to lose weight" .. or it completely isn't any of my business.

But the best is self-motivation πŸ˜ƒ If we care so much for that fat someone, we can also find ways to make them realise that they're obese and hence need to lose weight for their own good. :)
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

It depends on whether the person is close to me.. πŸ˜† If it's my mom or dad or my best friend, I'd say "you're fat and so, you need to lose weight.".

If they're others, it's "I'm sorry if this offends you, but I think you need to lose weight" .. or it completely isn't any of my business.

But the best is self-motivation πŸ˜ƒ If we care so much for that fat someone, we can also find ways to make them realise that they're obese and hence need to lose weight for their own good. :)

Here are some of the ways:

1.Buy them extra extra extra extra large clothes on special ocassions.
2.Order thin crust pizzas,low fat foods for them on your birthday.
3.If you're a hot girl and your guy friend is a fatty, wear a t shirt which says "Slim guys are bangable"
4.Or ask them to walk with you and they'll realise how much they need to lose weight when they pant like dogs πŸ˜†
5.Take them to subway everyday.
6.Or have a mega outing with all your friends and call only thin friends, then the sole fatty will feel like buring those calories. πŸ˜†