Debate Mansion

Alimony - justified or not ?????

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 9:10am | IP Logged
Alimony or  Spousal Support - Justified or not ?

In India as far as i know there is no proper law for a spouse demanding alimony after a divorce ( please correct me if i am wrong). Still a child support can be demanded if a child resulted in the marriage .

In the U.S its different - In several states a spouse can demand alimony after divorce even though the marriage did not result in a child . ( Please note - child support is different from alimony).
 In U.S the law states that a divorced individual has the right to continue living in the comfort and style that he/ she is accustomed to after marriage .

Do you think this is justified ? Should a suppose keep paying alimony for the ex- spouse, because he/ she got accustomed to a certain life style after marriage ? Do you feel this is exploitation of the spouse who's paying the alimony ? Or do you think its justified ?

Edited by indygirl - 19 December 2005 at 9:42am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Alimony - justified or not ?????" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 10:18am | IP Logged

Originally posted by indygirl

In U.S the law states that a divorced individual has the right to continue living in the comfort and style that he/ she is accustomed to after marriage .

Do you think this is justified ? Should a suppose keep paying alimony for the ex- spouse, because he/ she got accustomed to a certain life style after marriage ? Do you feel this is exploitation of the spouse who's paying the alimony ? Or do you think its justified ?

I doubt if the reason is that, I thought a woman was offered alimony because of the supposition that she is a partner to the success (money in most cases) that allowed them the lifestyle. She worked (whatever way the effort might be in) along with him to reach the position, therefore she should be allowed to have a piece of the pie.

Its hard to say right or wrong. Many cases this is valid, many women put their career on hold and never go back and really time is indeed a major sacrifice. There are people that exploit this but isn't that the case with anything.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rindam

Originally posted by indygirl

I doubt if the reason is that, I thought a woman was offered alimony because of the supposition that she is a partner to the success (money in most cases) that allowed them the lifestyle. She worked (whatever way the effort might be in) along with him to reach the position, therefore she should be allowed to have a piece of the pie.

Its hard to say right or wrong. Many cases this is valid, many women put their career on hold and never go back and really time is indeed a major sacrifice. There are people that exploit this but isn't that the case with anything.

Yes , that is also another thing , in such cases division of property or wealth takes place . But in many cases , one partner ( can be wife ....or sometimes even husband) earns more than the other , or the wife doesn't earn at all and only the husband does . In some states that law says that in such a case , when the wife or spouse seperate , often they don't have a job and the husband must continue supporting her . Sometimes its permanently and other times its for a temporary period till the wife can become self sufficent . But is that fair in such a case that a husband goes on supporting the wife ?

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 12:15pm | IP Logged
Every law has its benefits and its loopholes. Fairness can be decided only an an individual basis. Yes, if a womans job was to(or a man if the man has spent his life looking after the family and never could take up a job) play caretaker for the man and their children, then yes she should be paid. Let's call it her form of 401K after retiring from the job of marraige.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 2:26pm | IP Logged
Rindam - 401K from the job of marriage !! LOL LOL O.K that was a funny and cute way of looking at it !!

I got thinking about alimony when a friend here divorced ( 34 year old gut doing well in the U.S!!) His ex wife , demanded a hefty alimony after being married 3 years or so . They are still fighting over the terms of divorce settlement . I know the guy only , and i felt it was unfair , they were just married for some 3- 4 years !!I don't know the reason why they divorced , but thats immaterial . It still did not seem right !!

mad_cap

IF-Rockerz

mad_cap

Posted: 19 December 2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged
There is a provision for alimony in the The Indian Divorce Act, 1869 - it is in chapter IX

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 20 December 2005 at 7:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mad_cap

There is a provision for alimony in the The Indian Divorce Act, 1869 - it is in chapter IX

But in what percentages of the divorce is Alimony granted to a ex - wife ?? In India i've hardly met people who receive alimony or even give it . And i do know many divorced people

seema_17

IF-Rockerz

seema_17

Posted: 22 December 2005 at 2:45pm | IP Logged
I think that if the woman is incapable of earning her own money then she shld get alimony... also if she is the one that wants the divorce then its not fair that she gets alimony is it??? its like u don't want to put up with the guy but u want his money too... thats like having ur cake and eating it too... also if a woman has a career before marraige that leaves it to become a house wife, well if its her choice to leave her career then why shld the husband pay for it? she decided to leave her job, he didn't make her leave her job... and incase of child support i think both the parents shld share equal economic reponsibility as they have the child together its not just the guy's fault...
thats wat i think Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top