An open letter to karan johar

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago
Dear Karan Johar,

Namaste, how are you. My name is Chironji Lal Khosla. Karan this letter may have a bit of age old crap of My India and Your India, but this is not about generational gap, I am very much from the audience, you make movies for.

OK so another movie arrived "Break ke Baad" and I strongly feel this time I must not procrastinate this long due letter. You must be wondering why I am writing to you. Well, it all started long back and I don't exactly remember when, and the excuse given was "commercial compulsion" to show the exotic foreign locations to lure my India into the cinema halls. There was a time when cinema was meant as an art of storytelling, gradually as this holy "Commercial Compulsion" started taking over, this art of storytelling factor took a back seat. First it was few songs picturisation which got extended into half the movie being shot on foreign locations and my India was delighted to see beautiful faces running around the Alps of some European heaven, doesn't even realizing that it was a honey trap.

You know Karan, there is a very thin line between Cinema and Society, both are mirror to each other so we can't blame if it was society which was being reflected in cinema or it was your cinema which was being reflected into society. I am a commoner and for me cinema means not just entertainment or a way to escape from my world, it is the medium which told me the stories and these are the stories which I will pass on to my children and which will help building the character of mine, my children's as well of nations. Your bloody "Commercial Compulsion" transformed into "Commercial Greed" and that too in such extent that your movies started a new trend wherein whole story and its characters were based in foreign locations. Yes, karan it was your movies which started this greed and nobody noticed as to how easily you made my India cry over the dying scene of Aman in Kal ho Na Ho, nobody noticed how easily you made my India wait for karwa chouth moon in Kabhi khushi kabhi gham and nobody even noticed the forced family drama in We are Family has nothing to do with my India. I have a valid issue here, why the hell do my India's stories be based in your India, why the hell Ranbeer Kapoor in Anjaana Anjaani needs a river in Nevada to commit sucide, aren't my Ganga deep enough. You might be laughing at this point as to what the hell this guy is talking about, but there has to be a limit to your commercial greed. Salaam Namastey, NewYork, Kurbaan, Kabhi alwaidaa na kehna, kal ho na ho, dostana, anjaana anjaani, We are family, My name is Khan and many more, you are just milking the medium with utmost greed and with no respect to it.

I am not against your movies as it's an independent country and you have all the rights to milk your contacts and make the movies you are comfortable with, But Sir, why not lets base all these crap which you call stories be based in My India. Let Deepika go to Amritsar instead of Australia for a soul searching trip in Break ke Baad, let Aman of Kal ho na ho, die in some Indian Hospital and let the wholesome family of Kabhi khushi kabhi gham live in a palace in my India, we have plenty here. I will not tell you about the story telling aspect of a movie as your movies have nothing to do with that pity thing, and we have plenty of storyteller who entertain us enough without using the tantrums.

I do not know if it going to reach you or not but I am relieved of my agony. I wish one day you will understand that a story can be told effectively with unknown faces and local setup, I am nobody to challenge you.

Yours Truly,

Chironji Lal Khosla.
I totally agree with what you've said. I hope he reads this - I too am officially sick of foreign locales. I guess people love watching that sort of stuff, so nothing much we can do about it, but good job on the letter - it's step one. 
I think people want to see foreign locations and dream about it. No doubt people like to see different locations than they have already seen in india.  It sells

But I totally agree with you. If thriller n suspense movies like Raaz 2 n Bhool Bhulayan can be made using the old indian customs or stories, its possible to make indian shot movies too.